Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Custom Shirts Arrived

New In Town

Custom Shirts Arrived

In an effort to test out the "order custom tailored clothes from Thailand" route of getting clothes that fit, I ordered 3 new shirts a few weeks ago. I had planned that, if the shirts went well, I'd order my next suit tailored rather than trying to dig through the racks, only to choose between the 3 in my size. So, I ordered a variety of fabrics and patterns from http://www.mysuitshop.com. They're not necessarily vintage (as I'm still transitioning and researching the older look), but still very nice. They are willing to work from pictures or other garments, so as suggested in another thread, I will probably be buying donor clothing in smaller sizes and having them super size them for me.

At any rate, they arrived today (a week earlier than I was expecting them) and I am thrilled. I'll probably make a few adjustments to the measurements I sent for the next batch, but they are fantastic, especially when compared with what $33 gets you in the department stores. I'm used to needing "loose" shirts to accomodate my build (i.e. to keep the buttons fastened near my belly), so I ordered these this way and they're a little more loose than I'd like. They're also longer than I'd like, but I think I made a typo (thereby adding 2 inches to the length of the body).

What I ordered is below. I'll post pictures when they're ironed (being packed in a FedEx envelope and shipped over the Pacific wasn't too kind in the wrinkle category).

Big and Tall Classics Shop (Cotton Shirts)
    · Qty/Price: 1 @ US$ 33
    · Style: (#9429)
    · Fabric: Pure Cotton Twill (#123)
    · Color: Dark Grey (cd)
    · Requests: Slightly Loose Shirt Fit, Placket Shirt Front, Single Side Pleat Back
    · Accessories: Removable collar stays (1 @ US$ 1)
    Big and Tall Classics Shop (Cotton Shirts)
    · Qty/Price: 1 @ US$ 33
    · Style: (#9429)
    · Fabric: Cotton Blend summer shirting in Diamond self pattern (#2068)
    · Color: Cream (f)
    · Requests: Placket Shirt Front, Single Side Pleat Back
    · Accessories: Removable collar stays (1 @ US$ 1)
    Premier Big and Tall Shop (Cotton Shirts)
    · Qty/Price: 1 @ US$ 45
    · Style: (#8898)
    · Fabric: Combed Cotton Twill Broadcloth (#1057)
    · Color: Wood (wood)
    · Requests: Placket Shirt Front, Single Side Pleat Back
    · Accessories: None

Sounds good. can't wait to see some pics.

I have recently been taking my off the rack shirts into the local tailor shop to get them more fitted. My problem is I find a shirt with a good looking collar... the collar and sleeve length kmay be correct, though the body is usually way to big for me on most brands, unless you buy an english made shirt off the peg. English shirts are usually more fitted.
    Looking for my Emma Peel.

Matt Deckard Apparel
    Deckard's Guide

END OF LINE

I have looked at that site a number of time for suits but have been a little leery of ordering because they seemed a little too good to be true. I'm happy to hear that their on the up and up. Have you check out the double breasted four button "Chicago Mob suit" they have? Pretty darn cool Jackson!

My Mail is Forwarded Here flat-top's Avatar
    Wow...that Chicago Mob Suit IS swell! I want it! I'm gonna get my tailor measure me accurately before I order. But now the real question for you fellas out there: what material to get? I'm thinking "mob style" pinstipes, but maybe a herringbone? I dunno.......flat-top

New In Town
    Still no pictures. I've been too lazy to iron. I'm obviously going to have to do it later today if I want to wear one of them to work tomorrow, ...

Anyway, if you're debating fabrics, it'd probably be a good idea to order swatches. It's a little hard to find on the site, but for $12, you get 20 swatches of any of their fabrics http://www.mysuitshop.com/getswatches.php

I had them send a card full with my shirt order and it really helps to be able to see even the small square you get under real lighting instead of on a monitor. It also helps get a better idea of things like sheen. The brown shirt I ordered is much shinier than I had expected.

I also would recommend going the route I did for getting a shirt made first (to do a reality check on their interpretations of your measurements, etc.) If I had ordered a suit first, I might not be entirely happy with the fit due to how I ordered the first time.

"A List" Customer
    Would it be possible to forward to them photos of, say, Orvis products (or whatever), and say "I want this" and have them provide substantially similar, tailor-made products?

New In Town
    Absolutely. Most of the pages listing designs have this at the bottom:

Or... If you have an item that you would like copied or a picture of a style that you like, please send it to us by email or regular post and we can make it to measure for you.

"A List" Customer
    So we could also send photos of Connery in Goldfinger or Bogey in Casablanca (Sydey Greenstreet?).

Gone Home
    I find it interesting that the 'Chicago suit' is just a still from an early 30's movie. It would be nice to see the real suit on a model. I think it would be good to have the movie still, and then have a photo of a model in the real suit.

Any way, it's something I might think of doing some day.

Root.

"A List" Customer
    What is the difference between My.SuitShop.com and MyCustomTailor.com.

Apparently MyCustomTailor.com has a greater selection of materials, but is there any difference in quality of workmanship or service?

Is there any reason to prefer MyCustomTailor.com is the same material is available at either site?

In particular, I note that Primier Overcoats on MySuitShop.com are for $330 whereas Exclusive Overcoats on MyCustomTailor.cm are for $440, yet both have the same material. What would I get for the extra $110 by shopping at MyCustomTailors?