Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Current Issue Vogue & 40's Style

Quote Originally Posted by TheKitschGoth
    ...wobbly bits tend to look more toned when they are tanned. :s

I dont know about that...

Im tan year round. Darn thing wont wash off

LD

I wouldn't mind being able to tan a *little* -- but unfortunately I'm doomed to be forever fish-belly-white. And somehow it doesnt look as good on me as it does on Ms. Johannsen. Given that we probably won't see the sun again till July, my only hope for getting a little healthy color would be to go to one of those spray-paint tanning places, the Earl Scheib's of the beauty biz.

But yay for the Spring '40s Look! This marks, I think, the fourth time in my life I will be in tune with the trends.
    The humblest citizen in all the land, when clad in the armor of a righteous cause, is stronger than all the hosts of error. -- William Jennings Bryan

Practically Family
    I tan very easily. I will put on a 30 sunblock on the face and 15 for the body and still get color. The older I get the more sensitive I am to the sun and can only take so much of it.

I wince when I think of the days I used to sit out by the pool with my girlfriends. We used to spary baby oil and iodine all over ourselves and bake. I was an 80's teen and the suntan was a must along with the big hair.

Quote Originally Posted by Kimberly
    I tan very easily. I will put on a 30 sunblock on the face and 15 for the body and still get color. The older I get the more sensitive I am to the sun and can only take so much of it.

I wince when I think of the days I used to sit out by the pool with my girlfriends. We used to spary baby oil and iodine all over ourselves and bake. I was an 80's teen and the suntan was a must along with the big hair.
    I was an 80's teen also and it was the early 80's when I finally decided to stop tanning, I have been very pale glow in the dark white ever since. However, I appreciate all of the colors of skin the world has to offer from beautiful ebony (my ex-beau falls into the black as night ebony, category) reddish brown, mocha, cafe a lait' all the way to the pale-ist white and everything in between.

Brooksie

She still looks good though.
    I liked her best in "Girl with the Pearl earring".

JD

My Mail is Forwarded Here Miss_Bella_Hell's Avatar
    I was excited for this Vogue to come out, so I went and flipped through the pictures and was a little disappointed. It's very much "2007 does 40s poolside glamour"; while that's nice to look at it isn't authentic the way we mean it around here. I wasn't moved to purchase the issue.
    The meek will inherit the earth, but not the mineral rights. -J. Paul Getty

Quote Originally Posted by Miss_Bella_Hell
    I was excited for this Vogue to come out, so I went and flipped through the pictures and was a little disappointed. It's very much "2007 does 40s poolside glamour"; while that's nice to look at it isn't authentic the way we mean it around here. I wasn't moved to purchase the issue.

I would agree. All the shots are super close up, so much so that you cant completly make out what she is wearing. She is working the glam, but thats about it. Also the 'washed out' color filter thing they did makes the images a bit over contrasted. But I guess thats what makes her look pale.

LD

Quote Originally Posted by Lady Day
    Quote Originally Posted by TheKitschGoth
    ...wobbly bits tend to look more toned when they are tanned.
    I dont know about that...

I'm tan year round. Darn thing wont wash off

LD
    Lady Day, I'm going to have people worried about the random giggles coming from my direction!

I'm with KitschGoth about a little tan hiding blemishes for us 'palefaces,' though. Even after a blemish is officially "gone," there's a reddish-pinkish tinge below the surface that shows through, and it takes a month or two to fade.
    WTB menswear: W33-36, inseam 34-40.

I don't know about anyone else but I really don't like the idea of all the mindless fashion by the season floowers to start becoming interested in vintage. Vintage look is fine. But stay at the mall. The idea of a beautiful vintage item falling into the hands of someone that will just disgard it at the next fashion season change or treat it with out just respect makes me want to scream. I hate going to the thrift shops around halloween just for this very reason. I search all year and the one day around that time that the vintage stuff is put out it's pruchased y some irresponsible teen ager that will just end up getting frunk and puking on it. Frustration!

Ok I am off my soap box now

I'll Lock Up
    Ok...so we complain loudly about how little great style there is and how crappily people are dressed.

Then a fashion asthetic closer to ours comes along, and instead of rejoicing that the masses may stop showing us their muffin top and whale tail....what do we do?

We complain that they don't do it well enough or respect it enough.

We honestly can't have it both ways folks.

I personally laud the return to more classic designs, even if it's 'not accurate' or is a 2007 take on it. It's fashion, not reinactment. Somewhat silly to expect people who are following fashion, to think of it all the same exact way we do.

Its at least -better- fashion.
    They say ignorance is bliss, but it really just means you failed to learn.