Advertisements
Page 17 of 17 FirstFirst ... 7151617

Thread: Show us your Vintage Rucksacks!

my vintage swiss army backpack - salt and pepper pattern

Advertisements
    Hello,
    here is one image of one of my backpacks. A Swiss army backpack with the salt and pepper pattern from 1963.
    For the daily use I think this one is just perfect and the craftsmanship of this bag is just outstanding. Check my blog for
    more images and detail shots and also the comparison with the heavier version of this rucksack.

The links are here:
    The heavier Salt and Pepper - Swiss army backpack
    The comparison between the lighter and the heavier Swiss Army backpack, 1963 and 1973 both salt and pepper pattern.
    and if you happen to have the lighter one and have not figured out to how to close it, my latest post about
    to close it - my way.

Dagnabbit! Wished I could post pics. Just scored a really nice Trager mfg "Trapper Nelson" packboard and pack!! I'm bustin' at the seems to head back to the mountains!!!

Renault
    "I have some friends, some honest friends, and honest friends are few; my pipe of briar, my open fire, a book that's not too new."

Robert W. Service

Mine is a Swedish 1942 pack, cost a pittance and is fantastic, leather creaks when you walk !!

Also got this retro style canvass pack, made in India I think, this is modern but I remember my Pa having something similar when he was demobbed from the British army in the late 50's.
    Last edited by Selous; 01-19-2013 at 02:51 AM.

Any ideal where I can acquire one of these packs made in Indian? They look like a copy from old P-37 gear.

New In Town
    first post...here's my recently acquired rucksack.....

Very nice GJ! Welcome to our campfire!

And since I too, have figured out how to post pics, here's my old "Trapper Nelson" hanging on my closet door!

"I have some friends, some honest friends, and honest friends are few; my pipe of briar, my open fire, a book that's not too new."

Robert W. Service

One of the Regulars Dragon Soldier's Avatar
    Here's my proper oldy. Although the orange nylon, framed sac that took me through Scotland & Germany in my early teens probably qualifies as "vintage" for many of you!

British Commando Bergan.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	pack.jpg 
Views:	37 
Size:	591.2 KB 
ID:	3752
    Plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose

Found this old bent wood pack frame about a year or so ago. Fitted an old school Boy Scout yucca pack to it. Fabricated three back support straps this morning of leather. Re-rigged with new hitching lines. Prolly fit some felt pads on the shoulder straps.

Robert W. Service

I've been using this pack for about the last year.

Pretty stock from the front. It is a Czech rucksack, if memory serves. They've been all over the web for some time, and just kept getting cheaper.

Name:	IMG_20120710_202510.jpg 
Views:	56 
Size:	74.0 KB 
ID:	3937

I got three of the packs for about $25 from a random surplus site, and started cannibalizing two of the others for parts. I figured for the price at worst I had a few gear bags to toss into the back of the Monty. Here are the straps it came with:

Name:	IMG_20120710_202614.jpg 
Views:	40 
Size:	62.8 KB 
ID:	3938

I combined multiple pieces of the straps into shoulders straps that attached at the rings at the top of the pack, and used the rings from the strap assembly to create attachment points at the bottom. I used other cannibalized strap bits to make a waist belt. I used a fastex buckle, since I couldn't find a vintage buckle that would work quickly and easily. I may replace that if I find a better buckle, but at the time I wanted it done and didn't feel like trolling the web for a buckle!

Name:	IMG_20120710_202448.jpg 
Views:	39 
Size:	77.6 KB 
ID:	3939

On the inside, I scavenged a piece of closed cell foam from an isotherm mat I had since my Marine Corps days, and was currently only being used for a sit up mat. It is pretty stiff foam, so it makes an excellent back pad to keep sharps things from poking in my back and to give the pack some rigidity when empty. That makes it much easier to load and unload, as well as find things inside!

Name:	IMG_20120710_202951.jpg 
Views:	34 
Size:	33.9 KB 
ID:	3940

The pad inside the pack, secured with some canvas stitched around the outside:

Name:	Packinteriorsm.jpg 
Views:	57 
Size:	95.1 KB 
ID:	3941

The rest of the isotherm mat was cut up and now lines a .50 cal box for my air pump in the Montero. Like a deer carcass, nothing goes to waste!
    "Disinterested intellectual curiosity is the life blood of real civilization."
    --G. M. Trevelyan

New In Town
    In this Movie clip from the Movie "Foxfire" with Angelina Jolie is that a "Swiss Rucksack"
    at 5:54 into the video? And if so is it a "Swiss OD Engineer Rucksack"? If not what is
    it and where can I find one like it?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wvXr5gG0Dak
    Last edited by Nikita4ever9000; 09-06-2013 at 06:32 AM.