Page 2 of 46 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Cufflinks and Shirt Studs.

New In Town

Cufflinks and studs

In the 1940s, were cufflinks in use for daywear, or were they generally reserved for use with tuxedos?

How about studs in lieu of the buttons on the shirt front?

thanks!

I'm not following you around - honest.

Other guys will jump in.

It depends on the cufflinks - and the shirt.
    There are SO many jillions of cufflink designs. Very simple black links are usually for more formal wear or evening. The fun ones are the novelties. Little cigars, automobiles, hats, exotic themes, horses, dogs, political, club affiliation, you name it. Those are for other times and day wear.

Most shirt studs one sees are onyx or mother-of-pearl. Those go with starched shirts in a formal setting. If you find any "novelty" shirt studs... well... I'd think a time or six about those..

Am I wrong, gentlemen?

A sense of the fundamental decencies is parcelled out unequally at birth. - Fitzgerald

Based on period films, I recall seeing cufflinks on men during the daytime as well as for evening wear.
    I think scotrace correctly summarized the day and night use of links & shirt studs.

A Devout Crypto-Proctologist in New York City, New York
    I try to match my links to the colors/patterns I'm wearing and therefore I don't think about what's formal or what's suitable for day/evening wear (Heck, just putting on a tie these days is considered formal, isn't it?)

Lately, I've been having my shirts made with removable button strips so I can use studs. Even with business shirts. I like to wear a bow tie occassionally, but I've always hated the look of exposed chest buttons, so on go the studs. As of yet, no one has mentioned their daytime appearance.

Regards,

Senator Jack

New In Town
    Thanks for the info. I've always liked the look, but didnt want to appear too formal. Its good to know what other people think.

Northern NSW hippy country, but close to our version of Florida

I like these,

I don't know about formal, but they stand out, dunno how old they are

I like shirts with single cuffs for cufflinks or monkey's fists, not folded back like "French cuffs". Hard to get, but with some shirts, you can simply do away with the buttons.

Are these cuffs ahistorical? I've seen several times style police statements like "Cuff links are used only with folded/double/French cuffs" or even "may not be used but...."

One Too Many
    I would think French cuffs were as common back in the day as they are today! I always see stars, such as Bogart in Maltese Falcon, wearing them in movies with regular suits.
    I have a few shirts with French cuffs that I wear with my suits. The cufflinks add a level of panache to the outfit. I have also had shirts made with combination button/cufflink optional cuffs but tended to just use the butttons out of laziness.
    Cheers,
    Ray

Quote Originally Posted by Ghos7a55assin
    I would think French cuffs were as common back in the day as they are today!
    You mean double cuffs, or buttonless cuffs in general?

One of the Regulars 3PieceSuitGuy's Avatar

I only wear french cuffs....

because I think barrel cuffs are informal when wearing a suit. I have always loved double cuffs and was thrilled when they came back into fashion. As the others have said, cufflinks are fine for day wear (not black onyx or mother of pearl inlaid ones - they are strictly for black and white tie respectively), but studs are strictly for formal wear. Black or gold for black tie, and mother of pearl for white tie.

As said by Scotrace avoid the novelty studs at all costs for evening wear.

Cheers
    Life can only be understood backwards. It must be lived forwards.