Advertisements
Page 2 of 57 FirstFirst 12341252 ... LastLast

Thread: ADAM ALLEY

"Quality"

Advertisements
    I'm pretty new to hat collecting, but I spend a great deal of time browsing here, and I have some experience of my own now. It seems to me that hat quality, and comparing hat makers, is about 50% a matter of taste. Sure, we all want a hat that will stand up to daily wear, and if it can take serious abuse, then it's obviously made better. However; thickness, density, softness, finish, weight... who's to say what's really better. As several have said (in this thread and others, in different ways), a good hat is a hat you like. I'm coming to feel that the best way to learn about hat quality is to mix equal parts Fedora Lounge input and personal experimentation.

That said, let me conclude with this; When in doubt, trust this forum. These guys know their stuff, and what they don't know they make up for in passion.
    "The Past didn't go anywhere..." - Utah Phillips

Practically Family Solid Citizen's Avatar
    Just recently burned myself on Ebay bidding/winning what I thought was a vintage fedora turned out to a 1970's/1980's piece of crud. Learned my lesson & frankly my Adam hat is very well made & would probably easily blow away most of these half baked new fedora's marketed under retro name brands Peter

Near the World's Largest Outdoor Insane Asylum
    Quote Originally Posted by Solid Citizen
    Learned my lesson & frankly my Adam hat is very well made & would probably easily blow away most of these half baked new fedora's marketed under retro name brands Peter
    Yep, you hit the nail right on the head. The work-a-day stuff from the golden era is much better than your off the shelf stuff today. It is interesting that one has to have a hat made to your specifications today when a guy sixty years ago could go into the store and buy the same thing in a few minutes.
    Good hat brands from the golden era are Borsalino, Cervo, Cavanagh, Dobbs, Knox, Barbisio, Portis, Mallory, Panizza, Stetson, Champ and Adam. These are not in any particular order. They all made nice hats as long as you choose the right model. Even more interesting are the cool names that they gave their hats. Whippets, Gamebirds, Foxhounds, Moasaics, Palominos, Stratoliners, Open Roads, Flagships and other names such as these call instantly to mind the style associated with the name. You can't find such name recognition today.

Regards to all,

J
    People think they are so rebellious and original, when really they are just banal, boring and dumb.

New In Town

Adam Hats

What's the deal on Adam Hats? Why are they so cheap? It's my understanding that they were well made hats using quality materials. This one appears to be mid-40s or earlier. Though I haven't received it yet, I just bought one described as "never worn" from from a buy it now seller for $8.50. What gives? If someone will tell me how, I'll post the ebay link to the picture.
    "When I die, bury me in straight laced shoes. I want a box-back coat and a Stetson hat." - St. James Infirmary Blues

Practically Family Solid Citizen's Avatar

Wink Nothing Wrong

When you get your Adam:

1. You will get a quality vintage lid
    thats better than many recent hats!

2. Adam was a "value" brand compared
    to Stetson or Borsalino (eg: $8.50 for
    an Adam vs. $10.00 for a Stetson) back
    in the 1940's.

3. If you can create an Avatar for
    yourself & post a pic of you in the
    hat if possible.

4. Welcome to the Lounge!

Sc

Vancouver (not B.C), Washington (not D.C.)

Nothing wrong with an Adam. I have one that I love the stylish ribbon on it and wear it a couple times a week.

Enjoy!
    All it takes for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke

"A List" Customer

With the current trend in prices...

You got a helluva deal. Adam is a fine hat. In building a collection, its one of the brands I keep an eye out for. The marketing of Adam hats in the '30s is credited with making stylish brims affordable. Here's a summary from the Aug. '43 Hat Life magazine:
    http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/jtban1...5e.jpg&.src=ph

I'd like to see the hat. To post the link, edit/copy the auction page web address. When writing your message, look right in the middle above the message field and click on the icon that shows a globe with a chain link in front of it. Hit "control V" to paste the link in the prompt, then hit "OK."

New In Town
    SNRBFSHN....I tried to PM you, but I apparently don't have that ability yet. You might want to do a google search for Adam Hats.
    "When I die, bury me in straight laced shoes. I want a box-back coat and a Stetson hat." - St. James Infirmary Blues

Vendor
    Ah, it is nice to see a documentation on the lightweight felt so many love. I had heard, by heresay, that the light weight body was an economic move, as the better felt prior to this was the thicker variety. Since the stockmarket crashed in 1929, this also gives me an era when the cheaper felt was first introduced. Thanks!!! Now, it also seems ironic to me, that what many associate with a high quality felt, was actually brought on by a need to retail hats lower. How does one do that? By using less fur in a hat. I will assume, that if one had the bucks in the 30's to buy a top of the line hat, it would have been a heavier felt, instead of the lightweight models. Interesting stuff. Fedora

This thread is crying out for this link:

http://community-2.webtv.net/marcus-...sOnLineMuseum/