Page 3 of 38 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Oil Cleansing Method

Quote Originally Posted by Jenautica
    The link that GoldLeaf posted from the long hair community is really informative, and has many different mixtures listed by their users.

What I do know is that Grapeseed and Jojoba are the lighter oils that probably work best on oily/combo skin. I started out with 50/50 grapeseed and castor oil, and that dried my skin out within a few days. I gradually used less and less castor oil until I was using pure grapeseed. After about a week of that, i noticed some dry spots, so I would moisturize with bit of jojoba oil.

Last weekend on a whim, I mixed my current batch and it seems to be just right. That may or may not change as my skin adjusts to it. It is very much a process of elimintation when creating a mix.

I've avoided using any essential oils as of yet, since I'm still perfecting the balance of oils. Once I've got that nailed, I'll introduce some EO's
    Thanks for this information, Jenautica. It's very helpful to have you describe the process you go through for tweaking the mixture that you use!

I have no such precise methods as yet, but I started by reading the longhair community thread (well the beginning of it) and then bought some bottles of oil. I just pour a tiny bit in my palm of each, trying to make it even, masage it in for a few minutes and then use a hot washcloth to remove it. I use witch hazel afterwards to remove anything left, and I have started using a tiny bit of rosehip oil in lieu of evening moisturiser. Apparently it has amazing anti-wrinkle, anti-blemish, skin healing properties that promise to stop new zits and heal old scars. I have been doing this for precisely 2 days so far so I will have to see how it goes!
    My vintage fashion and lifestyle blog: Diary Of A Vintage Girl

One of my concerns is cost... I'm seeing a lot of people refer to this method as being low-cost. However, most everyone I'm seeing is using EVOO, which is actually quite pricey (and in the past, the Jojoba I've purchased has been pricey as well), so I'm questioning what the average cost of this cleansing method is, compared to, say, the bottle of Cetaphil I buy at the drugstore.

Familiar Face
    Keeping in mind that I got my supplies at Whole Foods, I probably spent more than I could have.

I used some EVOO that we already had at home. I believe I paid about $6 for that at Wild Oats.

Castor Oil $3 for 2 oz(?)
    Jojoba $10 for 6 oz
    Grapeseed oil $6 for 16 oz
    Glass bottle $.99

The total amount of supplies I purchased should last me about 6 months. You don't need very much to clean your face...I probably use about a teaspoon or less each morning. Then I use the oil left on my hands to moisturize my elbows and feet. It's also great to use on your legs after shaving.

kitty,

trader joe's is an excellent place to get decent-quality, cheap EVOO (their store brand is fine) and jojoba oil.

and jenautica is right, the supplies will last a long time!
    what are you a chiropractor anyway!?
    Proud member of the Trio Of Invisibility since March 2008!

Familiar Face
    Oh how I miss Trader Joes!!!!!!!! My BF was in Portland a few weeks ago and didn't know what they were.

Quote Originally Posted by Jenautica
    Oh how I miss Trader Joes!!!!!!!! My BF was in Portland a few weeks ago and didn't know what they were.
    that's too bad! there are actually 3 of them in city limits, and more out in the suburbs! my ex has worked there for 3 years, so i think i've probably tried every product in the store that's vegetarian...
    what are you a chiropractor anyway!?
    Proud member of the Trio Of Invisibility since March 2008!

"A List" Customer
    Quote Originally Posted by Fleur De Guerre
    I use witch hazel afterwards to remove anything left, and I have started using a tiny bit of rosehip oil in lieu of evening moisturiser. Apparently it has amazing anti-wrinkle, anti-blemish, skin healing properties that promise to stop new zits and heal old scars. I have been doing this for precisely 2 days so far so I will have to see how it goes!
    I've been doing the rosehip seed oil thing for a while now and it really is amazing! I use it as a kind of serum at nighttime under moistuser though, and it's not the slightest greasy - and I have greasy/combination skin. The Chilean sort is supposed to be the best, I've heard. Adding a few drops of rose essential oil makes it smell lovely too.

Familiar Face
    Rose Hip Oil? Now that just sounds delicious!!!

What brand are you using? Does it smell like roses?

Practically Family
    Quote Originally Posted by Etienne
    Gluegungeisha, what make and color of lipstick are you wearing in your avatar? It looks fabulous on you! Does it come completely off with the oil cleansing method?
    In that photo, I'm actually wearing a MUA's Chanel lipstick...not sure of the shade (doh!). However, Chanel is a brand I don't like too much (too many nasty additives and fillers). My favorite lipstick is made by Dr. Hauschka...a shade that looks brownish-red in the tube, but applies beautifully. I can't afford that, but my favorite color in a similar shade to the photo is from a German brand called Lavera, in shade 27. My mother found it in Germany for a reasonable price, but I just Googled the brand and found www.lavera-usa.com.

I highly recommend their products! They have an amazing line of products for sensitive skin, and I'm seeing results already, which is sort of a big deal if you've read my other posts about my skin woes.
    "I always had a repulsive need to be something more than human." - David Bowie