Advertisements
Page 370 of 475 FirstFirst ... 270320360368369370371372380420470 ... LastLast
Results 3,691 to 3,700 of 4750

Thread: Show us your Guns!

S&W Model 39

Advertisements
    Here is my S&W Model 39 (no dash) manufactured in 1966.

Mike

Yesterday I went to one of the local gun shops to consign a rifle I didn't need in my collection anymore. It was a Universal M1 Carbine (which is commercial, not GI) that was a "hole filler" until I got a GI Carbine. Now that I have a couple of those I felt it was time to let the Universal find a new home. While I was at the shop, I spotted a couple of Mosin Nagants on the used gun rack. One was a 91/30 sniper, the other a Carbine. I took a quick look at the carbine and saw it was an M38, and when I saw the $110 price tag I decided I'm going home with that carbine. It's a 1943 Izhevsk Arsenal example:

Once I got it home I discovered a few things about it. Though it had gone through the arsenal refurbishment process, it was still all original. It appears they never even disassembled the rifle, as the rifle is all matching. The bolt shows no sign of having the original serial scrubbed and a new serial struck (what is referred to as "force matching"). The trigger guard and butt plate also have matching numbers. Also, all parts have the Izhevsk markings. When the stock had the orange varnish applied (during the arsenal refurbishment), they got it all over a number of the metal parts, plus the black paint they used to touch up the metal tip on the handguard ran down one side of the stock. All things point to it never having been stripped, and this being a completely original (save for the wood's finish) M38.
    Last edited by KilroyCD; 01-23-2013 at 07:50 AM. Reason: typo
    \l/
    ( oo )
    ----0000--U--0000----

Kilroy was here
    Member of the Vintage Camera Club

Southern Illinois USA, right in "Bloody Williamson" county
    Kilroy, what a great find. The Minwax Red Mahogany stain is an excellent match for the original finish if you ever have to touch it up.

Gotta post this again. I posted a photo of my P.08 a couple of years ago with the aftermarket grips that only had a checkered panel on each grip as opposed to being completely checkered (as were the original military-type grips). A week ago when I was at Sarco I bought a set of the military-type grips, and after a little hand-fitting here is the end result:

\l/
    ( oo )
    ----0000--U--0000----

Kilroy was here

Southern Illinois USA, right in "Bloody Williamson" county
    Ooh, those look good, what year is that P 08?

Quote Originally Posted by DeaconKC View Post
    Ooh, those look good, what year is that P 08?
    It's a 1940 Mauser-built P.08 (42 toggle marking), all matching numbers (except for the magazine).
    \l/
    ( oo )
    ----0000--U--0000----

Kilroy was here

$110 For an M38 is a spectacular deal! They are pretty rare in the land of Mosin Nagants. I've got a Tula-made 91/30 from 1935 it's a blast to shoot! Unfortunately I don't have any pictures of it at the moment...also nice P08, a true legendary firearm!

I may be crazy...

I've been thinking about one of these since they first came out. Well, today I finally pulled the trigger (pun intended) and bought one. It's an ATI StG44 replica in .22LR. An interesting plinker, I'm guessing it'll cause more than one person to do a double-take at the range.
    \l/
    ( oo )
    ----0000--U--0000----

Kilroy was here

One of the Regulars Luftwaffles's Avatar
    My 98k along with some of my dad's old stuff from serving.

The only things that weren't his are the balaclava, the vest, and the shoes.

Change the 98K to an AK series rifle and you are about two steps away from being a modern Afghan Commando. Those guys where the woodland camo.

Matt