Page 41 of 60 FirstFirst ... 31394041424351 ... LastLast

Thread: Putting it all together

Bump because I like this thread.
    Matt Deckard did write about the topic in his blog
    Matching checkered shirts could also be discussed here (I prefer stripes though)

Adolphe Menjou in a very matching shirt and tie:

Simpsons shirts and ties, circa 1938:

One of the Regulars Patrick Hall's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by herringbonekid View Post

Simpsons shirts and ties, circa 1938:

Wow. A few of these I like. Some of them I don't like at all! Is that an Oregon Ducks themed look on the second row far right, with the white/silver tie over the mustard yellow on green windowpane? Looks about as bad as their post-Nike uniforms do. Also - it is interesting that so few of these seem to follow the wisdom i always hear - which is that a secondary color in the tie should pick up a color in the shirt.

Does somebody know where this pictures come from? Or which time frame? Do you agree to the suggestions?

Quote Originally Posted by Flat Foot Floey View Post
    Does somebody know where this pictures come from? Or which time frame?
    no, but the illustrations look post 70s. generally i agree with the advice. it's pretty much the same thinking that Alan Flusser covers in 'Dressing the Man' and is virtually gospel by now;

don't put patterns together that are too similar in tone and scale.

here endeth the first lesson.

Thanks.

Yes, that's the lesson. And if one pattern is too busy you need a plain fabric nearby to calm it down. But I still can't get used to big houndstooth. My brain hurts when I see it. Yes, I know. Cary Grant and all but still...

Familiar Face
    I'm glad this thread got bumped as I've used it in the past. I generally wear tattersall shirts and V Neck Sweaters with my tweed jacket and find that it seems to offer the right balance. I once wore a tie that was somewhat similar in color and design to a tattersall shirt I have and was told it didn't look right. I learned from my mistake and later wore the shirt again with a regular tie and was told that it looked great. Trial and error will teach you about what looks good together and what doesn't more than anything else
    When I want information i go to someone who knows more than me and i ask them. Sometimes......I ask pretty hard.
    -Marv

Familiar Face
    Today I actually saw an aquaintance of mine wearing a sportcoat....but it was a red one which he wore with a red T Shirt underneath. he was also wearing jeans and sneakers and I can't say I thought it was well put together. The diffrent reds caused a clash and I dislike the jeans with sportcoat look personally(Although I have seen people who do it well) so I didn't think much of how he was put together.
    When I want information i go to someone who knows more than me and i ask them. Sometimes......I ask pretty hard.
    -Marv

in the late teens to early 20s there was a fad for trousers that were full at the thigh, quickly tapered and finished with an extra large turn up:

.... discuss.

One of the Regulars Patrick Hall's Avatar
    It's like a trousered version of pegged jeans. The late 20's must have been a really layered, complex time for haberdashery. Always discovering new surprises from that timeframe - like the ongoing thread in the General section about 20's-does-70's or 70's-does-20's...or whatever