Advertisements
Page 31 of 64 FirstFirst ... 21293031323341 ... LastLast

Thread: Putting it all together

New In Town

Advertisements
    Thank you both for the replies. I do feel a bit better about the brown and grey, because I just picked up a grey suit and a nice pair of brown oxfords that I thought matched well. My wife agreed, but I have been berrated by the young ladies at work for my lack of sense when it comes to colour matching.

I must admit, there is a bit of an ulterior motive behind the thread... shamefully, I haven't a single man's hat other than ball caps. I've been rebuilding more "formal" wardrobe since I got married and have actually been trying to base the beginnings off of Matt Deckard's thread on vintage at work. Since I just went out and bought new suits, shirts and shoes this weekend, I was trying to find one hat to get the most bang for my buck out of. For the time being, of course.

I'm not sure how I missed the putting it all together thread, so thank you for the link. That is my next stop.

"A List" Customer
    Quote Originally Posted by Baron Kurtz
    Many's the time i've got all dressed up for the day, stepped outside the house and had to go back in to change because the combination just looked ridiculous.

Experiment.

bk
    That happened to me just this morning.

Also, I don't pay particular attention to "matching" anyways. I wear what looks good to my own eye. Not what looks good to everyone else's...My peers definition of dressy is dark jeans...Why should I even take the opinion into consideration?

Of course, since I developed my style in this manner, I look back on what I began wearing and what I wear now and I cringe...Doubtless, when I look back a couple months from now I'm sure I'll be cringing just the same...Such is the way one develops one's personal style.

Quote Originally Posted by AcridSaint
    ...I just picked up a grey suit and a nice pair of brown oxfords that I thought matched well. My wife agreed, but I have been berrated by the young ladies at work for my lack of sense when it comes to colour matching.
    My husband firmly believes that people see the same color differently. SO go with what you like.
    So I got that goin' for me, which is nice.

"A List" Customer
    Great pic, Rover, I just looked through this entire thread...There is a definite lack of images! Come on guys, post what you got!

Not every "rule" of dressing is bunk, but no brown with gray is definitely one that is hogwash.

My Mail is Forwarded Here thunderw21's Avatar
    When it comes down to it you really need to stand in front of a mirror and if your outfit makes you gasp with wonderous amazement then it's good.
    If it makes you shudder you need to change it.

A sense of style can be a difficult thing to obtain and fine-tune. A good start would be to look in the mirror and wander around the lounge looking at pictures of what fellow members are wearing.

Orgetorix posted a good thread to take a gander at.
    Where the past comes to life...so we can promptly beat it to death again.

http://mrlapel.blogspot.com/

http://www.etsy.com/shop/Houndstoothkid

Suspended
    Start by determining what colors actually look best on you. A good reference for how to properly determine those that do is Carole Jackson's book, Color for Men. It is a bit tedious in the reading and the explanation of the process of making the determination; but, let's face it, we've all seen and probably bought items that we liked that when worn just didn't flatter us. Knowing what colors are flattering to your skin tone will narrow down the myriad of choices you will ultimately face.

--Not the Lulu

Clash with class

AcridSaint,

The above posts are awesome suggestions. I personally found Alan Flusser's book Dressing The Man very insightful. The book really helped me to be less intimidated when mixing up different patterns and textures. Flusser writes in depth about how to properly mix: two patterns of the same design, mating two checks, mixing two different patterns, mixing three different patterns, mixing three patterns when two are the same, mixing three patterns of the same design, and mixing four patterns of the same design.

It's not as complicated as it sounds and again not all rules are steadfast so if you like how something looks I say go for it!

Suspended

Riley Dee is right...

Quote Originally Posted by Riley Dee
    AcridSaint,

The above posts are awesome suggestions. I personally found Alan Flusser's book Dressing The Man very insightful. The book really helped me to be less intimidated when mixing up different patterns and textures. Flusser writes in depth about how to properly mix: two patterns of the same design, mating two checks, mixing two different patterns, mixing three different patterns, mixing three patterns when two are the same, mixing three patterns of the same design, and mixing four patterns of the same design.

It's not as complicated as it sounds and again not all rules are steadfast so if you like how something looks I say go for it!
    ...and that should be Step Two.

One Too Many
    Quote Originally Posted by AcridSaint
    Thank you both for the replies. I do feel a bit better about the brown and grey, because I just picked up a grey suit and a nice pair of brown oxfords that I thought matched well. My wife agreed, but I have been berrated by the young ladies at work for my lack of sense when it comes to colour matching.

I've always read that brown accessories with gray suits was very correct, at least for ladies. But wearing gray accessories with a brown suit is incorrect. For men I've always understood the rule to be, wear brown shoes with brown suits & black shoes with everything else.
    ★ღ ✿♥★ღ ♥✿★✿ღ ★
    I was rich as I could be
    ★ღ ✿♥★ღ ♥✿★✿ღ ★