Page 1008 of 1738 FirstFirst ... 8508908958998100610071008100910101018105811081508 ... LastLast
Results 10,071 to 10,080 of 17379

Thread: What Was The Last Movie You Watched?

Incurably Addicted AtomicEraTom's Avatar
    Watching 'Christine' right now.
    -Tom N.

I tell it like it used to be.

Quote Originally Posted by AmateisGal View Post
    Tonight, Turner Classic Movies had Hitchcock's Strangers on a Train. AWESOME film. First time to see it and I loved it.
    One of my all time top three (or so) favorite Hitchcock films!
    "His modest resources meant that he could dress no more than reasonably well, but he did so with a kind of faded elegance that ignored the dictates of fashion... the overall effect was of someone frozen in time, indifferent to the new fashions of the agitated age he was living through. The truth is that he took pleasure in this, for obscure reasons that perhaps even he could not have explained."
    -Arturo Perez-Reverte

Currently, "After the Thin Man" soon to be followed by "the Maltese Falcon" on the wonderful TCM!

J. Edgar (2011)

Beautifully shot, expensively propertied, and stiff and shoddy in almost every other respect. Such is the gold standard for historical pictures in our day, but Clint Eastwood's heavy hand is evident in every second of J. Edgar. He pulls every punch he can get away with, perhaps because he reveres Hoover more than his audience does, and knows it. Leo DiCaprio apparently got his accent from Frank Langella's Nixon plus anyone who ever played a Kennedy. The air of stagey tension in every scene never varies or goes away. Deliberately underlit in Every. Freaking. Shot. Almost every car used is a Model A Ford.
    Last edited by Fletch; 02-25-2012 at 09:59 AM.
    Simplicity never goes out of style, and never comes into fashion.

L.A., where your waiter from today will be on casting call tomorrow.
    Quote Originally Posted by lolly_loisides View Post
    Don't you mean Thieve's Highway? That's one of Dassins best movies (though I like Rififi better). I think it was the last movie he made in the US before he was blacklisted.
    Yes, yes. Why did I write "Market" instead? (Well, most of it takes place within the wholesale business...)
    1. John 3:16, 17
    2. Dress to please yourself, but do take others into some consideration.

-Lee

L.A., where your waiter from today will be on casting call tomorrow.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fletch View Post
    J. Edgar (2011)

Beautifully shot, expensively propertied, and stiff and shoddy in almost every other respect. Such is the gold standard for historical pictures in our day, but Clint Eastwood's heavy hand is evident in every second of J. Edgar. He pulls every punch he can get away with, perhaps because he reveres Hoover more than his audience does, and knows it. Leo DiCaprio apparently got his accent from Frank Langella's Nixon plus anyone who ever played a Kennedy. The air of stagey tension in every scene never varies or goes away. Deliberately underlit in Every. Freaking. Shot. Almost every car used is a Model A Ford.
    Wow, what an indictment. And I was planning on seeing it...Almost every car used is a Model A Ford? (And that's a bad thing? )
    1. John 3:16, 17
    2. Dress to please yourself, but do take others into some consideration.

-Lee

Dead Men Don't Wear Plaid

Not too north, not too south; just right, in CA.
    Saw the remastered 1927 silent movie "Wings" (with about 300 other fans) at the Stanford Theatre last night. Their organist, Dennis James, just blew me away with his masterful musical accompaniment to the over-2 1/2-hour movie, and even though this word is so overused, his talent rates no less than "amazing!" The film drew more of a crowd than the theatre expected, so the start was delayed in order for everyone to get in and during that time, Mr. James treated the audience to little bits of trivia about the movie and actors - things from his personal experience. It was a great experience, a thrilling movie that moved many around me to a shed a few tears.
    "Waiter, will you serve the nuts? I mean, will you serve the guests the nuts?"

Quote Originally Posted by Wally_Hood View Post
    I saw this in its stage play version, here in Los Angeles. I had seen it advertised in San Francisco when I would visit family there for Thanksgiving, Christmas, and so on. When the show played locally I managed to venture into wildest uncharted LA to catch it. Saw it on the big screen at the Balboa Theatre in (where else?) Balboa.
    What did you think of it mate? Does the humour 'travel well'?
    "The trouble with these international affairs is that they attract foreigners!"
    Lord Rawnsley.

One Too Many
    FUBAR.

"Turn up the good, turn down the suck!"