Page 1298 of 1766 FirstFirst ... 29879811981248128812961297129812991300130813481398 ... LastLast
Results 12,971 to 12,980 of 17653

Thread: What Was The Last Movie You Watched?

Quote Originally Posted by LizzieMaine View Post
    And don't forget the guy with the bicycle pump. They couldn't get Bix, but that guy almost makes up for the loss.
    Wilbur Hall, who was also Whiteman's first chair trombone at the time. It was he who triple-tounged "Nola" in the opening "Meet the Boys in the Band" sequence.

Hall was a pretty tasty soloist, who was unfortunately overshadowed by the inimitable Jack Teagarden.

Incurably Addicted AtomicEraTom's Avatar
    The Odd Couple.

Started watching it two nights ago and finished last night.
    -Tom N.

I tell it like it used to be.

Near the World's Largest Outdoor Insane Asylum
    Quote Originally Posted by AtomicEraTom View Post
    The Odd Couple.

Started watching it two nights ago and finished last night.
    All of them?
    People think they are so rebellious and original, when really they are just banal, boring and dumb.

L.A., where your waiter from today will be on casting call tomorrow.
    Sullivan's Travels (1941, Paramount), with Joel McCrea and Veronica Lake, written/directed by Preston Sturges. A well-known, pre-Pearl Harbor comedy, which actually takes a dramatic turn the last 20 minutes. Ostensibly, it is about director McCrea who poses as a hobo to find out how the poor live, so that he can make a film about social iniquity (more or less). On the way, he picks up Lake, who wants to leave Hollywood for home after an unsuccessful try at the movie business. For those people who think that Veronica Lake was only capable of glacial performances like those in This Gun For Hire and The Blue Dahlia, they should see her come to life in this movie. (And, boy, did she look cute when she let her hair down in her famous peek-aboo style.) Everybody in the film (except the 13-year-old "drag racer") is lampooned (and, in a way, so is the audience), and you're not always sure where the movie is going. The scene that sticks out for me is when the pastor of a Black church tells the congregation that a (mostly White) chain gang is going to watch a movie with them. He says that the congregants should treat the latter with respect, because they are all God's children; then while said chain gangers march through the building, the congregation sings "Let My People Go." Incredible sequence for the time.
    1. John 3:16, 17
    2. Dress to please yourself, but do take others into some consideration.

-Lee

84 Charlie MoPic.

Exceptional film with outstanding performances by a relatively unknown cast. All done on a small budget. May well be the best film on the American experience in the Vietnam war.

Sullivan's Travels, yeah. One of my favorites. I think there are some scenes in "Oh Brother Where Art Thou?" that allude to scenes in Sullivan's Travels?
    ~ Quantum mechanics: The dreams stuff is made of. ~

Midnight in Paris. Adrien Brody steals it.

One of the Regulars C44Antelope's Avatar
    I have never seen Sullivan's Travels & have wanted to. I have always enjoyed Joel McRae, and Veronica Lake... Ooo mama.

I watched To Have and Have Not tonight. "Was you ever bit by a dead bee?"

For those not familiar, Bogie, Bacall, Walter Brennan, Hoagy Carmichael, Sheldon Leonard and Vichy heavies in Martinique in 1940. Not too mention a really bad fisherman with a great pith helmet
    I live the life I love, and I love the life I live... Jesus does that.

Incurably Addicted AtomicEraTom's Avatar
    The movie, not the TV series

Quote Originally Posted by jamespowers View Post
    All of them?
    -Tom N.

I tell it like it used to be.

Strange mix these days: Busby Berkeley musicals (Footlight Parade and Dames), Silent films (Mabuse the Gambler), Karloff and Lugosi horror films (The Mummy and Black Cat), Ernst Lubitsch (Love Parade and Design for Living) and gangster films (Roaring Twenties and Little Caeser). Just keeping to my 1920s and 30s fix...
    "His modest resources meant that he could dress no more than reasonably well, but he did so with a kind of faded elegance that ignored the dictates of fashion... the overall effect was of someone frozen in time, indifferent to the new fashions of the agitated age he was living through. The truth is that he took pleasure in this, for obscure reasons that perhaps even he could not have explained."
    -Arturo Perez-Reverte