Page 27 of 30 FirstFirst ... 172526272829 ... LastLast

Thread: College wardrobe

I agree!

On another note, I found this academic article on Princeton and college fashion....
    http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/store...vw348&e8493472

My Mail is Forwarded Here Two Types's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by reetpleat View Post
    So, I am going out on a limb here and calling foul on the old story of the oxford bags being invented to cover plus fours at oxford. Well, it may be true they did that, and that may be why they are called Oxford bags. But I suggest that they certainly did not invent the style, rather, adapting it from an older style or from the navy.
    Have a look over on the 'Oxford Bags' thread in 'general attire etc'. The plus fours story has been exposed as a myth and HBK has put forward a theory that 'bags' derived from rowing attire. This is supported by the discovery of a pair of 1896 rowing trousers catalogued by a rowing museum as 'Oxford Bags'.
    "I know I believe in nothing, but is my nothing."

Rank & File: A British Cinema Blog

Quote Originally Posted by Two Types View Post
    Have a look over on the 'Oxford Bags' thread in 'general attire etc'. The plus fours story has been exposed as a myth and HBK has put forward a theory that 'bags' derived from rowing attire. This is supported by the discovery of a pair of 1896 rowing trousers catalogued by a rowing museum as 'Oxford Bags'.
    True, but the catalogue description would have been composed decades later, and an archivist, say in the 1950s, may have tagged them as "Oxford Bags" simply because they were historic. What needs to be found is contemporary (1890s) evidence referring to the trousers as bags.

Plus, there is no reason that 25 inch bottom slacks couldn't slip over a pair of plus fours.

I agree. Baggy at the knees would be he best trousers, not at the bottom. It may well just be a matter of style changing, on the parts of top top down fashion designers or tailors, or bottom up, street fashion, or college fashion from rebellious kids, or as rebellious as an upper class oxford student can be.

My Mail is Forwarded Here Two Types's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by resortes805 View Post
    What needs to be found is contemporary (1890s) evidence referring to the trousers as bags.
    That's why I have emailed the museum. I await their reply.

Hopefully the museum's archivist will be able to help us. Their archive holds various receipts etc from tailors in rowing towns. That's where we hope to find additional evidence.
    "I know I believe in nothing, but is my nothing."

Rank & File: A British Cinema Blog

While certainly a sad subject, two of the Scottsboro nine were quite stylish. 1937 pic.

http://www.corbisimages.com/stock-ph...ttorney-samuel

Quote Originally Posted by Two Types View Post
    That's why I have emailed the museum. I await their reply.

Hopefully the museum's archivist will be able to help us. Their archive holds various receipts etc from tailors in rowing towns. That's where we hope to find additional evidence.
    Excellent!

Quote Originally Posted by reetpleat View Post
    While certainly a sad subject, two of the Scottsboro nine were quite stylish. 1937 pic.

http://www.corbisimages.com/stock-ph...ttorney-samuel
    Killer 8 button work trousers!

New In Town
    I don't think anything says college like a crest on the blazer!!! http://www.socialbliss.com/justin/ac...-code-GEZDCNBQ

Frat so hard!

New In Town
    Well, my college had a dress code which said no uniform but only formals. So most of the time I used to be there in formals usually in summer days and at the time of winter a coat over the body. It looked as if we are following some strict rules of jail or something. There was no relaxation even at the weekends.
    I love my wardrobe

My Mail is Forwarded Here flat-top's Avatar
    "The future isn't what it used to be."~~Louis Cyphre