Page 84 of 121 FirstFirst ... 3474828384858694 ... LastLast

Thread: Show off the sports coats.

HBK & Mario: Yes, the lapels are rather unsual. They weren't quite what I was expecting. The previous jacket they made for men had a lovely, broad but straight peaked lapel. I saw this and thought 'They look odd!'.

Then I tried the jacket on and immediately fell in love with the lapels! I thought to myself 'They look continental' but don't have any reference points for why I would say that.

I'm just waiting for someone to post pictures from a vintage brochure proving 'That's exactly how Spanish tailors cut lapels between 1928 and 1931.' (Oh, where is Mr Chevalier when you need him?)
    "I know I believe in nothing, but is my nothing."

Rank & File: A British Cinema Blog

Maybe your jacket is beginning to grow Dumbo lapels...

Pretend that you owe me nothing and all the world is green.

Incurably Addicted
    Nice jacket! Love the belly on those lapels.

Quote Originally Posted by Two Types View Post
    HBK & Mario: Yes, the lapels are rather unsual. They weren't quite what I was expecting. The previous jacket they made for men had a lovely, broad but straight peaked lapel. I saw this and thought 'They look odd!'.

Then I tried the jacket on and immediately fell in love with the lapels! I thought to myself 'They look continental' but don't have any reference points for why I would say that.

I'm just waiting for someone to post pictures from a vintage brochure proving 'That's exactly how Spanish tailors cut lapels between 1928 and 1931.' (Oh, where is Mr Chevalier when you need him?)
    Odd shaped lapels were a fixture of Eastern European tailoring. A longtime lounger, Doran, actually had a suit made in the Polish lapel style which looks very much like yours. Here Polish politicians from the 20s displaying very bellied lapels:

Who says the golden era has to be tasteful and dignified?

The height of those lapels make them look very distinguished.
    Wearing a hat versus not wearing a hat is the difference between looking adequate and looking your best.

The vest underneath looks good too. I dislike low hanging lapels. I found a very good fitting navy colored suit today in fact but turned it down because of that fact. Also have a navy suit that fits already.
    Wearing a hat versus not wearing a hat is the difference between looking adequate and looking your best.

Quote Originally Posted by Two Types View Post
    Here is my latest sports jacket:

It was made for me by Bookster. I really like the distinctive curve to the lapels. And the colour is amazing - it looks blue in some lights and green in others.
    The first thing that came to my mind when I saw those lapels was a shark's fin. I absolutely love them. Bloody brilliant! You've truly outdone yourself this week, TT.
    http://img338.imageshack.us/img338/9912/gtsig.jpg
    “Nowhere in the world will such a brotherly feeling of confidence be experienced as amongst those who sit together smoking their pipes.”

"Odd shaped lapels were a fixture of Eastern European tailoring." I knew someone would have some background facts! Thanks.
    Very interesting. My first reaction was they look continental but i just couldn't place them. However, having studied Eastern European history at university, and worked in photo archives owned by East Europeans, it's no surprise that i had subconsciously absorbed certain details.

P.S. Thanks to all for your positive comments on the jacket. I think the jacket is a good example of how, with some effort, one can achieve a distinctive, vintage-inspired look without having to 'break the bank'.

You mentioned that you didn't quite know where the inspiration for those lapels came from-how did you specify them? Or is it a standard shape that Bookster offer? Looks like good quality. Very thick too

Quote Originally Posted by Metatron View Post
    You mentioned that you didn't quite know where the inspiration for those lapels came from-how did you specify them? Or is it a standard shape that Bookster offer?
    It isn't a standard style. On my previous jacket I sent photos (taken from the FL) showing the style of lapel I wanted. They made a brilliant job of recreating them. This time I asked for the same lapel, but it appears they added more 'belly'. So it wasn't exactly what i had asked for, but I actually prefer them. So let's call it an inspired error!