Page 88 of 123 FirstFirst ... 3878868788899098 ... LastLast

Thread: Show off the sports coats.

Thanks Chasseur! More of this jacket can be seen here:
    http://www.thefedoralounge.com/showt...ze!&highlight=

I remember that one now. Its a super (pronounce with posh Viennese accent) sport coat! I wish more of these would show up in 44... the only 1930s sportcoat I own is the one I got from you a year or two ago and its wonderful!

Here it is with a tie I got off you as well
    "His modest resources meant that he could dress no more than reasonably well, but he did so with a kind of faded elegance that ignored the dictates of fashion... the overall effect was of someone frozen in time, indifferent to the new fashions of the agitated age he was living through. The truth is that he took pleasure in this, for obscure reasons that perhaps even he could not have explained."
    -Arturo Perez-Reverte

The winter wonderland tie! Great ensemble; I'm still in search of a 1930s houndstooth belted back that fits me!

You guys are killin' me! It's been 100 degrees on average here the last couple of weeks, and there you go looking all sharp and sporty in your way out beltbacks and killer patch pockets! I'm all revved up and inspired to dress up, but it's Aloha shirt weather here for another three months yet . . .
    Try not to become a man of success but rather to become a man of value - Albert Einstein

My Greek Sport Coat arrived. I really like it. In particular I love the construction of the shoulders. A pleasant surprise was the chest pocket flap which was folded away in the seller's photos. The pocket lining has a strange pattern which looks like an imprint from the plaid shell. Odd. There is no overlapping fabric on the cuffs, just three buttons sewn on for show. No back vents.
    Now concerning the fit: Strangely, while it feels tight around the shoulders, my arms have no mobility issues, I can swing them around in any direction without lifting up the jacket much. Must be down to the tailoring of the armholes. It's definitely on the short side. What do you think, acceptable skinny fit, or just too small overall?

Looking good! It looks certainly more 1930-40's than on the ebay photos.
    The buttons are not that deep-set as the photos first had me believe.

Also the chest pocket flap looks great, as do the shoulders which with the shorter fit give a 30's impression, although the skirt is a bit very much on the short side...

For comparison here a similar German sports coat from 1939:

Personally I would definitely extend the sleeves by letting out whatever fabric there is in the inlay (if necessary sewing on a strip of fabric on the inside. This would be accommodated by the fact that there is no overlay at the sleeves - they are "tube-like" as you indicated.

Together with high-waisted flannel slacks, this would look perfect.

You got a very good deal there. If you think it is too snug or have doubts about the sleeves... I'd love this jacket.
    Last edited by Fastuni; 01-09-2013 at 06:45 PM.

Meta, i think it's a bit too short in the body overall, and the sleeves are at least an inch and a half too short.

sleeves often can't be extended without leaving a visible fold line. 70 year old edge creases can be virtually impossible to press out, depending on the fabric of course (looser woven tweeds being easier). if the crease is visible after pressing i would advise not to do it.

I thiink the flap on the breast pocket really works on that jacket. It improves it. I agree with Fastuni - let down the sleeves.

As for the length of the jacket: yes it is shorter than is normally recommended. However, I recall a number of debates on jacket length (including photos of Dwight Frye's jacket in the 1931 Dracula) showing how jackets were often worn quite short in the 1930s. I watch lots of period films (mainly British) and regularly spot shorter than 'normal' jackets. Personally, I have relatively short legs so a shorter jacket prevents them from looking too short.

My feeling is this: If you are happy with the length of the jacket, that is all that matters. It may not correspond to 'the rules' (whatever they may be) but so what? If it's comfortable and you like it, that is the only rule.
    "I know I believe in nothing, but is my nothing."

Rank & File: A British Cinema Blog

Being slowly digested inside "The Crouching Monster"
    Lovely jacket … seems too short, unfortunately.
    There is but one truly serious philosophical problem, and that is suicide. All the rest . . . comes afterwards. Albert Camus

http://baronkurtzvintage.wordpress.com/

... and tuck your shirt in! Tucking the shirt in will give a better idea of how it fits your proportions. As would a full length view (your leg length will make a difference to the overall effect). Also, the rear view doesn't seem as bad as the front view.
    "I know I believe in nothing, but is my nothing."

Rank & File: A British Cinema Blog