Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rollers in public

Rollers in public

I usually go to the gym in the morning. This makes it pretty much useless for me to set my hair overnight. Unless...I wore my curlers, or pin curls, to the gym. Do you ladies think that would be too much? Is there a better solution?
    Love, Marie-Anne

I am always wearing my curlers out in public... to do errands, meet friends, whatever it may be. I don't find it the least bit embarressing... I mean people don't know why I am setting my hair, I could be getting marries, doing a shoot, going out that night. It doesn't matter to me what people think.

The only concern I would have for you would be ruining the curls from the heat and sweat on your head.
    For what it's worth, I've loved you since Tuesday.
    http://vintagestarlet.blogspot.com/

A good period-appropriate solution is to simply tie a bandana over your curlers Rosie-the-Riveter style. I do this all the time when I'm rushing around doing errands, with no adverse effect on the end results. Plus I never have to worry about losing hairpins!
    The humblest citizen in all the land, when clad in the armor of a righteous cause, is stronger than all the hosts of error. -- William Jennings Bryan

One Too Many
    Quote Originally Posted by LolitaHaze

The only concern I would have for you would be ruining the curls from the heat and sweat on your head.
    Yea, that is what I was thinking. That is why I don't sleep in curlers, it makes me hot and I wake up with soggy hair.
    ★ღ ✿♥★ღ ♥✿★✿ღ ★
    I was rich as I could be
    ★ღ ✿♥★ღ ♥✿★✿ღ ★

I go out in curlers all the time! The folks at the vintage shops here love it when I come in wearing a vintage house dress and have rollers in my hair I wouldn't wear them to the gym though - too much risk in ruining your set.
    Eeny-Meeny-Miney-Mo, catch a Hepcat by the toe...

Great! I'll definitely wear them out more. I'm always looking for a time when I will spend ~8hrs in the house to set my hair but that's almost impossible. I used to work in a call center though and I always set my hair during work. I'll wear them to the gym this week and see how it goes. I was actually hoping the sweat and heat (not that much, I mostly lift weights) would help set the hair. Do you ladies wear scarves or nets when you take your rollers out in public. What size of scarf is apropriate for covering up a spong roller set? Is there a fancy way to tie it up?
    Love, Marie-Anne

My Mail is Forwarded Here PrettySquareGal's Avatar
    A lady friend told me that it was a sign of pride in the 50's- it often meant you had a date that evening!
    2014 feels like a creepy uncle who keeps trying to kiss me. I want to dodge it as much as possible!

Quote Originally Posted by MarieAnne
    Do you ladies wear scarves or nets when you take your rollers out in public. What size of scarf is apropriate for covering up a spong roller set? Is there a fancy way to tie it up?
    I think most of the gals here tie a scarf around their head when waiting for a set. I take a large chiffon scarf and fold it in half diagonally, tying it around Rosie-the-Riveter style.

There is a recent thread about this: http://www.thefedoralounge.com/showthread.php?t=23066
    Eeny-Meeny-Miney-Mo, catch a Hepcat by the toe...

The book On Writing Well has a hilarious article on girls wearing their hair in curlers in public. Apparently, in the early 1960s, girls were wearing curlers not only to the store but to the movies, etc. The author wondered when they ever took them out. What was the momentous occasion they were saving the hairdo for? He wrote a mock advice column for a made-up magazine about the subject. One "reader" said that her boyfriend's fingers got stuck in the curlers at the movies and she had to call her hairdresser at home. Another "reader" said she took the curlers out of her hair and her boyfriend saw her without them for the first time and he complained that her head was too small. Given these "hazards," I wouldn't keep my hair up in curlers too much of the time. What about a perm?

One of the Regulars BakingInPearls's Avatar
    I rarely ever go out with anything in my hair I have a great hood dryer that can do the trick in 45min but if I have to I set that back half of my hair in curlers and the front in pin curls and put a bandana on and let my front pin curls stick out yet cover all the rollers. People think it's cute and they don't know I have a head of curlers on in the back.
    “The hardest job kids face today is learning good manners without seeing any.”