Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: My fathers war

Thanks for your kind words - I will most certainly pass them on to my father.
    "There I stood at the bar, wearing a Mae West, no jacket, and beginning to leak blood from my torn boot. None of the golfers took any notice of me - after all, I wasn't a member!'

Yes DEFINITLY Spitfire THANKS for posting this your father WAS a hero for what he did. An OUTSTANDING story!!

Scott
    Msgt. Scott Dunkirk
    401st BG
    615 BS
    Reenacted
    AZGCLHU Inc.

http://arizonagroundcrew.org/

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/groundcrews/

(IYAMYAS)

Spitfire,

Thank you for sharing, a wonderful familly story/history!
    "His modest resources meant that he could dress no more than reasonably well, but he did so with a kind of faded elegance that ignored the dictates of fashion... the overall effect was of someone frozen in time, indifferent to the new fashions of the agitated age he was living through. The truth is that he took pleasure in this, for obscure reasons that perhaps even he could not have explained."
    -Arturo Perez-Reverte

Dear Spitfire,

Your father's experiences are fascinating and amazing to read. You must and should be extremely proud of him. Not to sound clichique or anything, but that would, as they say, "make a great movie".

One of the Regulars Italian-wiseguy's Avatar
    I'm sorry to reply so lately, I've just found the thread today;

and I want to thank you, Spitfire, for sharing your great familiar memories, and I wish to express my sincere admiration to your father.
    Grazie!!

Thank you all for your all too kind words.
    I just want you all to know, that I did not write this in order to glorify my father, myself or my family in any way.
    Instead it was a way to tell the not-so-often-told part of WWII as it probably happened in many occupied countries, where the war was fought in quite another way than at the well known fronts.
    "There I stood at the bar, wearing a Mae West, no jacket, and beginning to leak blood from my torn boot. None of the golfers took any notice of me - after all, I wasn't a member!'

Of course you didn't, Spitfire. The Second World War, as with all parts of history, has its own hidden, secret, unknown, untold stories that never see the light of day. Your father's saga is just one of millions of these little stories that everyone should hear but which we so often, never get the chance to.

Quote Originally Posted by Spitfire View Post
    I just want you all to know, that I did not write this in order to glorify my father, myself or my family in any way.
    Instead it was a way to tell the not-so-often-told part of WWII as it probably happened in many occupied countries, where the war was fought in quite another way than at the well known fronts.
    Agreed. No one here thinks you did Sir. I often point out the resistants and partisans operated with a level of courage and devotion that can not be matched in any other Soldier role. The consequences of their actions not only guaranteed their own immediate death, but the impact of their actions on their family or civilian populace as well. Although recognized, I wish that we could measure these experiences more thoroughly. Definitely a huge contrast in the human, personal and familial effects of resistance work from all other roles on the battlefield.

Wonder how many other in the Lounge can account for, or speak to resistance backgrounds.

Thanks again, due respect to your father and your family.
    M.

And so ends the story.
    On this morning, the 9th of April - which is also the day of the Nazi attack on Norway and Denmark - my father finally found peace after a couple of months of struggling with bad health.
    He turned 92 in January, and had - apart from the last few months - lived a happy and full life.
    When I told him about all your comments some time ago, his answer was very typical:
    "Tell them it was nothing, compared to what other people went through - but give them all my very best wishes".
    Last edited by Spitfire; 04-09-2012 at 01:39 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Spitfire View Post
    And so ends the story.
    On this morning, the 9th of April - which is also the day of the Nazi attack on Norway and Denmark - my father finally found peace after a couple of months of struggling with bad health.
    He turned 92 in January, and had - apart from the last few months - lived a happy and full life.
    When I told him about all your comments some time ago, his answer was very typical:
    "Tell them it was nothing, compared to what other people went through - but give them all my very best wishes".
    Please accept my condolences Soren. I shall remember him and your family in my prayers tonight.

John