Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Akubra Adventurer? Really?

"A List" Customer

Advertisements
    My camera's dead, otherwise, I'd post side-by-side pics of my buddy's hats. Perhaps Fedora Loungers who see this thread and have these hats will post their photos.

Such things are highly subjective, and everyone has his own personal preferences, but to my eye, compared to the older Explorer, the newer Adventurer is a much more dramatic, almost histrionic-looking hat--approaching a caricature of the orginal Indy fedora. Of course, as most of us know, it has itself morphed in the course of the films over time.
    All hats are crushable. Only a few are decrushable.

My Mail is Forwarded Here Rick Blaine's Avatar

This is the Adventurer I got from outbackoutlet dot com. (apologies for the sorry mug beneath it) It is definitely & emphatically an Aussie hat- e.g.- lower crowned & wider brimmed than a Federation or say, an AB. and really doesn’t resemble a 4o's hat much at all to tell you the truth, more of a "jackaroo" hat than either one of the DM or current Akubra offerings. The 1 st photo is closest to the real color. I think we paid forty bucks or so, money well spent, IMO.
    "The path of the righteous man is beset on all sides by the inequities of the selfish and the tyranny of evil men.
    Blessed is he who, in the name of charity and good will, shepherds the weak through the valley of the darkness,
    for he is truly his brother's keeper and the finder of lost children."

-Jules Winnfield

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Blaine

This is the Adventurer I got from outbackoutlet dot com. (apologies for the sorry mug beneath it) It is definitely & emphatically an Aussie hat- e.g.- lower crowned & wider brimmed than a Federation or say, an AB. and really doesn’t resemble a 4o's hat much at all to tell you the truth, more of a "jackaroo" hat than either one of the DM or current Akubra offerings. The 1 st photo is closest to the real color. I think we paid forty bucks or so, money well spent, IMO.
    How long ago did you order an Akubra that you paid $40.00 for one?! Rick, how long have you had that Adventurer? This is one of the old models, I take it? The Explorer that is being referenced?

My Mail is Forwarded Here Rick Blaine's Avatar

Arrow

Quote Originally Posted by Tone
    How long ago did you order an Akubra that you paid $40.00 for one?! Rick, how long have you had that Adventurer? This is one of the old models, I take it? The Explorer that is being referenced?
    'bout three years ago, pls. see: Akubras at an attractive price. ... OK $56 bucks (memory is the 2nd to go. Wish I could recall what's 1st?), still & all, $$$ well spent. This is what I think to be Akubras' first "Adventurer". Imperial grade w/ lovely ruby red lining, too. HOWEVER the model name printed on the sweat looked a bit like this: soooo, let's not fool ourselves as to where this was aimed. Nice lid tho'. But nowhere near SA for the fanboys (of all ages).
    "The path of the righteous man is beset on all sides by the inequities of the selfish and the tyranny of evil men.
    Blessed is he who, in the name of charity and good will, shepherds the weak through the valley of the darkness,
    for he is truly his brother's keeper and the finder of lost children."

-Jules Winnfield

Thanks, Rick. That is a very interesting link with some detailed (and actual documented proof) regarding the pre-creased Adventurer (it did look very much like a pressed Jackaroo - very aussie) prior to the DM open-crowned version. I still don't think there was an Explorer - save for the brief interlude when the new Adventurer was being released and briefly referred to under the preliminary name of "EXPLORER". Eventually, it released under Adventurer. Essentially, it was still the DM Adventurer as it is today.

I bought a DM Adventurer as soon as it became available those few years back - right about the time it was being called "Explorer" as a matter of fact.

Rick, interesting to note in looking at your Adventurer that, other than the different crown they used, the color and dimensions weren't that off from the current. I think some have actually put that type of crease into their modern Adventurers, too.

Very versatile (australian model) hat for all those different shapes. As for something like a 30s/40's hat? Wasn't that supposed to be the Federation III's job?

$50.00 for an Akubra. ::wistful sigh:: Those were the days.

I don't think the Adventurer is as much a caricature as some might hope it to be. I see early on in this thread there's possibly some hinted speculation that it might have just been a FED III - renamed and imported here - but any of us who got one back then (and owned the FED III at the same time) could tell you the crown height on the Adventurer was/is a bit less overwhelming.

Either way, it can't be more of a caricature than the Explorer, as they were the same Akubra Adventurer from DM.

Looking at Rick's pictures, it's impressive that they kept the Adventurer color scheme, ribbon and all, when changing to the open-crowned version.

Akubra Adventurer questions

I've been wanting to pull the trigger on one but am a little confused on a couple of points. One is trying to figure out if the Adventurer on the Akubra and David Morgan sites is the new name for the Fed IV. Also on the Akubra and David Morgan site, I can't find any information about the deluxe model that is listed as available from Hatsdirect. Is there an American distributor of the deluxe model?

I've also read that sizing runs large. I measure 23 1/4", so I'm just shy of 60. Should I get a 59 and a stretcher or go with the 60?

Any advice and information is greatly appreciated.

It's been stated here frequently that they are different hats - the brim sizes aren't the same. Both Fed IV models are a HatsDirect exclusive - there is NO American distributor.

I haven't handled either one of these, but I have several Akubras. The rule of thumb is that you should order your normal size: new Akubras arrive nearly a half-size large, then the sweatbands shrink to fit after you sweat them up a bit.

Practically Family
    I have an Adventurer and find it true to size.Its become a go-to favorite.

My experience with Akubras is the same as the Doctor's. I'm between a 56 and a 57 - depending on whether the hat runs large or small. I wear a 56 in all Akubras - except for the Fed IV where I get a 57 (Trudi at the Hattery won't let me buy a 56 in a Fed - she says it will be too small after a year, and I trust her judgment).
    -Andy