Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Show Off Your Projects!

Wow! Scott what amazing talent. What beautiful pieces! I am thoroughly impressed!

And Paddy, great work. So much talent.

I can understand...

Quote Originally Posted by scotrace
    We have been to Williamsburg many times, but not for several years. We were there so often I think we kind of burned out on it! But we're talking about going again.
    ...that. We have the "local" passes and I've long since forgotten how many times we've been there. PM us if you make the trek again.
    Marching to my own drummer

I posted...

...these in the house thread.

Our house had a broken pediment over the front door. When I repainted I discovered bad wood rot from water intrusiton. I decided to put build a pedimented portico out from the house to prevent a recurrance.

It worked out pretty well and stopped the problem.

The before at a distance

After, unpainted

[/IMG]

After, also unpainted (its painted now)

[IMG]

wow wow wow!!!
    you gentlemen are so talented!!
    I'm the nicest gorram dame that ever lived.

Here...

...is my stair project.

Our stairs were made for carpet, and the previous owners wanted wood stairs, so they stripped the carpet and stained the stairs green. While I applaud their willingness to try, the result was quite bad. The stairs were pine and badly split, the rails were wobbly, etc. My wife hated them, but didn't say anything because she didn't know I could do anything about them. When she finally did tell me, I got to work and rebuilt them.

It was a complete job down all the way to the stringers.

Nice work one and all....Scott, that Colonial style mirror is simply stunning. I receive a gift catalog from Thomas Jefferson's Monticello on a regular basis and they have been offering a similar mirror in there for several hundred dollars....You should seriously think about making some of these to sell....I know you'd have a loyal customer in me......Everything is fabulous!!
    Barry - Sultan Of Swank

Brotherhood Of The Thin Ribbon - September 2007

Practically Family B.J. Hedberg's Avatar
    Thought Id give this thread a bump and post my last project.

As a renter, I needed someplace dignified to keep the books, but easy enough to disassemble and move, so I came up with this 7 piece breakfront. Currently Im working on a more appropriately scaled replacement pediment for it, and trying to design a Georgian/Art deco hybrid bookcase to go along with it.

My Mail is Forwarded Here Undertow's Avatar
    Wow, that is beautiful! Nice job! How did you do that?
    "We all die. The goal isn't to live forever, the goal is to create something that will." ~ C. Palahniuk

Practically Family B.J. Hedberg's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Undertow
    Wow, that is beautiful! Nice job! How did you do that?
    Thanks. I pretty much just used basic kitchen cabinet style construction since I was going to paint it.

It uses 1/8 plywood for the back, with a hodgepodge of whatever solid wood I could find cheap (Aspen, Oak, Maple, Cherry, and Poplar), most of it pre-sized, pre-packaged lumber from the local home center. Each section has two hardwood sides screwed and dowelled to the top piece and the bottom shelf, with holes drilled every inch to take movable shelf pins on the inside facing. Since I was painting it, I just nailed on a face frame, and hid the screws and dowelling behind the moldings. The doors are basic 3/8 overlay doors; and each section is joined to its neighbors with a hex screw and threaded insert.

Almost all the horizontal moldings I picked up or ordered from the woodworking store. Only the gooseneck molding was difficult, and for that I just made up a series of templates based on a scale drawing; routered out each different shape on a different piece of wood; and then glued and nailed it all together. Since I dont have lathe, I bought two different finials, cut them in pieces, and glued them together to create the style I was looking for. A good sanding, some primer and paint, and a few sheets of glass and that was just about it. Without any major curves, it was a pretty easy project and has gotten quite a few of my books out of boxes in the closet.

Trunk Project

I have been collecting old wardrobe trunks for a while (as well as other stuff) and i thought i would have a go at restoring one. Not quite finnished yet but it think it looks good so far for a first attempt. Cost me 26 on Ebay.
    After i had taken it apart it got a bit scarey looking at the mess i had made, and wondered if it would all go back together again! But it did, so i think i'll try some more after this one.

Metalwork was rotten and someone had painted all the outside black.

Drawers were falling appart and mouldy

Outside recovered with thick furniture fabric and interior relined. All metal parts Nickel plated.

I used pop rivets with Chrome furniture tacks superglued on top to make them look more vintage.