Page 1 of 81 1231151 ... LastLast

Thread: Nutrition and exercise!

My Mail is Forwarded Here Miss_Bella_Hell's Avatar

Nutrition and exercise!

Not "diet" and exercise because dieting brings unpleasant things to mind - but - do you ladies watch what you eat and exercise at least three times a week to keep your figures? Or does running around after your kids keep you in shape? Share!
    The meek will inherit the earth, but not the mineral rights. -J. Paul Getty

I *walk* as much as possible -- at least two miles a day, weather permitting, and sometimes four. I also belong to the local YMCA, and when the weather doesn't lend itself to strolling, I'll go over and work out for an hour or so. I also ride my big heavy Schwinn Hollywood around town in the summer, which gives me a good workout.

Dieting, not so much. I'm too much of a sucker for Comfort Food. I probably should, though -- until I was 35, I could eat anything I wanted and never weigh more than 125 pounds, but I fear now those days are gone forever....
    The humblest citizen in all the land, when clad in the armor of a righteous cause, is stronger than all the hosts of error. -- William Jennings Bryan

My Mail is Forwarded Here Miss_Bella_Hell's Avatar
    I'm a semi-vegetarian: I'll eat fish and shellfish but no red meat or poultry. This is not because I don't like those things, I love them, but I have a very strict "don't eat anything you wouldn't personally kill" policy. I'll go fishing. I won't kill a baby cow. I think it makes sense! I also eat organic almost exclusively (at home anyway). I just think it's more environmentally responsible. But I love my sweets! Give me ice cream or give me...death?

Workout-wise, in the temperate weather I run a few miles around a nearby peninsula. But since it's usually either too hot or too cold around here, I go to the gym about 4-5 times a week and do a run-elliptical-stairmaster circuit that takes about 45 minutes. Really makes a big difference. Plus I sleep like a baby!

Quote Originally Posted by LizzieMaine
    Dieting, not so much. I'm too much of a sucker for Comfort Food. I probably should, though -- until I was 35, I could eat anything I wanted and never weigh more than 125 pounds, but I fear now those days are gone forever....
    Hmm....you still look pretty slim to me!!
    The meek will inherit the earth, but not the mineral rights. -J. Paul Getty

When it gets to the summer i really have to watch what I eat! Especially over easter i pig out on lots of choclate which is my worst enemy! So I just have to stop eating it, or else i will not fit into any of my 40's clothes!!!

One of the Regulars
    I try ("try" being the operative word ) to work out on my treadmill everyday for at least 30 minutes.

I also count housework as exercise, running up and down the stairs with laundry and all that bending and stretching to vacumn multiple times a day.

Family sit down meals are important, but I find the more I cook, the less of an appetite I have so I rarely eat dinner (or breakfast) usually just lunch.

With the weather turning warm, we will open our pool and so I will be in it all the time with the kids, so I will get some exercise that way too.

When I was younger and single I was always on a "diet" whether I needed to be or not. Now I kind of just use common sense, and try to stay away from the junk food.

Practically Family
    I walk about 20 minutes every day (from the bus and back ) and I just watch what I eat when I gained weight again. I discoveres a looot of sparris for some days helps me to get thinn again. Its day two after my latest sparris eating and so far I ate a huuuuuuge lumberjack-steak for dinner and today a biiiiig dish full of Pasta with red Pesto
    "Oh no! Its that German Pin up Girl again!"

My NEW blog: http://retromodelsari.livejournal.com

I do Body for Life: I eat six small meals a day, lift weights three times a week for about 45 minutes, and do intense step aerobics three times a week for 20 minutes. I do the step aerobics to swing music tapes that I make. In addition, I take one-mile walk most days and go dancing once or twice a week. I feel great! It's when I don't exercise that get tired and ache.

My Mail is Forwarded Here PrettySquareGal's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by LizzieMaine
    I *walk* as much as possible -- at least two miles a day, weather permitting, and sometimes four. I also belong to the local YMCA, and when the weather doesn't lend itself to strolling, I'll go over and work out for an hour or so. I also ride my big heavy Schwinn Hollywood around town in the summer, which gives me a good workout.

I wish you lived closer because I could walk with you! I'm also a walker.

I've been eating healthily, generally, since 1985, and what I mean by that is no refined carbohydrates, a variety of grains, not just wheat, and low fat fare. However, I DO love comfort food and my two favorites are pizza and ice cream. Because I eat so well overall I am able to have the occasional treat.

A secret of mine is my "little helpers." I keep a bag of grain-sweetened chocolate chips in the freezer and have a handful daily.

http://www.worldpantry.com/cgi-bin/n...prrfnbr=213701

One of the Regulars
    I had to start watching what I eat and start exercising more when they diagnosed me with diabetes (and I'm only 30! - but I have a family history of it). So far, I've lost 20 pounds just by working out three times a week at Curves, walking the dog, and playing outside with my daughter. I also really cut back on what I eat. Now it's only whole wheat pasta, fat free or lean meats like chicken, turkey, fish, and tuna, veggies, whole wheat bread, fruits, etc. No more cookies and cake, although I do indulge once in awhile. Dark chocolate is a must because a square a day is actually good for you and it helps my sweet cravings. Because I started doing all this, my blood sugar levels went back to an almost normal state - they caught the diabetes just in time for me to make some changes and almost reverse it.

But the best part of all? Clothes that I haven't been able to wear for years fit again - and I love to go shopping!

I walk up to 4 miles a day (usually 2 and a bit, but 4 if I leave the car behind at the home end of my journey) but that's through the filthy streets of London so I'm not sure whether there are any real health benefits. It certainly saves money! I am also extremely keen on yoga - since taking it up I have lost around 7 pounds without even trying...in fact I often lost nothing before even when I was trying, and now I do tend to eat rather more sweet things than I probably should. I would like to train to be a yoga teacher in the future, and I am desperate to take up swing dancing, but finding the time and money is difficult.

I also eat only fish and shellfish, and buy almost entirely organic at home. Apart from my sweet tooth I'm very health conscious and tend to compensate for overdoing sugar by being moderate the next day, rather than denying myself.

I also make a conscious effor to suck my stomach muscles in all the time. I have found yoga has vastly improved my posture, making me look slimmer too! I wish there was something I could do to make my calves slimmer though, all that walking is beefing them up somewhat!