Advertisements
Page 62 of 270 FirstFirst ... 1252606162636472112162 ... LastLast

Thread: Western, anyone?

Advertisements
    Miller hats has a decent looking one for about $200, if you go to the Miller Hats website, look under western telescope brim.
    You can have my girl, but don't touch my hat!

Lyle Lovett

Quote Originally Posted by Neophyte View Post
    Bumping this thread for personal reference. I haven't seen many "gambler" hats around here on the Lounge, although there are many, many references to them. Here's one I found at Gentleman's Emporium. It is, however, a wool felt. Despite that, it's got a classic shape that I find very appealing.

I think I may purchase one to see how I like it, as it has many of the features of the custom hat that I'm slowly working out in my head.
    AzTex has a Riverboat Gambler you may want to reference in your work = http://www.aztexhats.com/products/62...bler-Felt-Hat/

Or this place may spark some ideas = http://www.riverjunction.com/Hats_c_82.html
    Last edited by gtdean48; 12-14-2010 at 12:04 PM.
    Deputy Swoopy, Crease Police - Mounted Division, Fedora Bureau of Investigation - Icon Defender
    Hard to be an outlaw when you're not wanted any more!
    WAR = What is it good for?

My Mail is Forwarded Here Neophyte's Avatar
    Thanks all for the advice and suggestions. I believe I was about to make a mistake, seeing as I had a spare Akubra Campdraft lying around. I did a little experimenting, and discovered two things:

(1.) This particular brim shape is the most complimentary to my features from a head-on perspective than any other shape of hat I've yet to encounter (including my fedoras!), and
    (2.) There is hope yet for my Tawny Fawn CD, which hasn't seen any headtime since I purchased the LR and BGCD!

Still some work to do, as well as an application of water to set it, but here's what I've got so far:

I'm not trying to look menacing in these photos, but that sun in this winter air is really, REALLY bright!
    ---Alexander

Looks good Neo. I like it.

Jeff

Quote Originally Posted by Jedwbpm View Post
    Looks good Neo. I like it.

Jeff
    Thank you sir!

It definitely needs a wider brim. The 2.875'' brim on the Campdrafts leaves much to be desired if you curl the brim, especially on a super-bright day like today. At the very least, the experiment has provided me with first-hand experience on how the brim shape I desire would look on me (which is the whole reason I was about to buy that wool Gambler). Overall I'd consider it a success!
    ---Alexander

You may want to look at a boss of the plains it look like a campdraft but has a wider brim.

Jeff

You may want to look at a boss of the plains it look like a campdraft but has a wider brim.

Jeff
    And a higher crown if memory serves.

Later
    Mike

Groucho Marx said it best:
    “Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it everywhere, diagnosing it incorrectly and applying all the wrong remedies.”

Jeff
    With the unshaped dome and flat brim, it would make a great "canvas" hat. That said, it is my back-up option if I can't find something more appealing. I'm looking for something evocative of the Old West, something traditional. It must at home in both the country and the city. A scaled-down BotP, similar to the one I posted a while ago to bump this thread (the one from Clearwater Hats), may be just the thing.

I've got time to think about it, though. It won't be until sometime in January or early February before I can put my money where my mouth is .
    ---Alexander

And different crown blocking, brim flanging, ribbonwork, brim edge finish

DinerHunter.com - Food
    VintageHaberdashers.com - Clothes
    LowModern.com - Architecture

Quote Originally Posted by 1961MJS View Post
    And a higher crown if memory serves.

Later
    Traditional Boss of the Plains hats seemed to have 4''-4.5'' and a 4'' flat brim with bound edge. That said, there is a PLETHORA of variations. The original hat itself is pretty plain, but can be molded and personalized quite easily.

Here's an example of a very traditional BotP:

Similar hats can be found in those pics I posted a few pages back, in the group photos of the 49ers organization.
    Last edited by Neophyte; 12-14-2010 at 01:42 PM.
    ---Alexander