Page 169 of 265 FirstFirst ... 69119159167168169170171179219 ... LastLast
Results 1,681 to 1,690 of 2650

Thread: Western, anyone?

Very nice color and good combo!

I posted the long and filthy saga of this hat over on What Are You Wearing Today, but wanted the Western Room's opinion on what if any step I should take next with this piece. It is a 10X Beaver Brand that I bought cheap and was my first rebash victim. It fits well but has 3/4 width crack in front-center of the sweat. It is filthy (see saga) but I like the feel of the felt and am thinking about having it cleaned and reblocked.

First, is 10X Beaver brand respectable/worth cleaning? Any suggestions as to who might wash, block and re-sweatband this for reasonable money? It used to be about 5+ tall with upturned brim sides. I'm not a big fan of black hats and this represents, for the moment, my only western example. Thoughts? Suggestions?

Cheers,
    Ray

Quote Originally Posted by TipTop View Post
    ...First, is 10X Beaver brand respectable/worth cleaning? Any suggestions as to who might wash, block and re-sweatband this for reasonable money? It used to be about 5+ tall with upturned brim sides. I'm not a big fan of black hats and this represents, for the moment, my only western example. Thoughts? Suggestions?...
    I'd look to Catalena Hatters = http://www.catalenahats.com/restoration.html for a renovation & ask for the hat to be sent back open crown.
    When I got it back, brim trim & personal creasing. JMHO
    Deputy Swoopy, Crease Police - Mounted Division, Fedora Bureau of Investigation - Icon Defender
    Hard to be an outlaw when you're not wanted any more!
    WAR = What is it good for?

Hi

Take a look at Wyatt Earp in Tombstone, that had might be a good starter on one of those hats. It might not look quite right with your leather jacket though.

Just my $0.02.
    Last edited by 1961MJS; 03-13-2012 at 12:16 PM.
    Mike

Groucho Marx said it best:
    “Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it everywhere, diagnosing it incorrectly and applying all the wrong remedies.”

I did some brisk brushing and a little steaming to my new, free Beaver 5X Cattleman, then, stuffed the sweat with a strip 2.5 mm of styro packing sheet, cut to an inch wide, and presto, my 7 1/2 LO is stuffed down to a 7 3/8 Long Oval. I posted a separate "Re-sizing Down" piece on how I measured and tried the various thicknesses of the stuffing.

Almost looks presentable with the grit and filth brushed away:

Cheers,
    Ray

[IMG][/IMG]

As western as I get--a Steton Gun Club Catera--sort of a transitional hat. I rarely ride without it and it stays on, even at a full gallop!
    Regards,

Alex

When you smile at me, I hear gypsy violins;
    When you dance with me, I’m in heaven when the music begins...

ORVIS has Ritch Rand 7X beaver tan cowboy on sale to $299 (from $375); plenty of sizes as of this writing (went on sale this morning).

CORRECTION: Looks like a #95 Windrider with the Sunset Trails 3/8" tooled leather band and 1/4 Sterling Buckle set (+$150).

Rands own 8Xs start at $379, plus band.
    Last edited by TipTop; 03-20-2012 at 07:55 AM.
    Cheers,
    Ray

"A List" Customer Grizzly Adams's Avatar
    This is my "Tucson" made by Clearwater Hats. This hat has been my primary hat for Cowboy Action Shooting for close to 12 years now. It has seen every kind of weather imaginable, and has held up very well. I have no idea how many times I have reshaped it, but currently kinda Boss Of The Plains look.

Liner and sweatband:

The liner is cotton, and the sweat is a very soft leather which is a good 2 and 1/2 inches wide.
    If you can read this, thank a teacher. If you can read this in English, thank a vet.

Quyana cekneq, Neva

Toady Hat Pins

Looks great and just mildly "toned" with wear, considering all you say that it has been through (and especially considering the faux "distressing" that one can buy today). How do you normally dent the crown?
    Cheers,
    Ray

New In Town
    I thought that I had my first cowboy hat completely picked out... until I opened this thread!