Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Peter Jackson to produce "The Hobbit"!

I'm all ashiver with antici--pation!

I am conflicted. I've read The Hobbit and The Lord of the Rings and I've watched Jackson's LOTR. The movies were well made but I wish I would never have watched them. When I read the books, I prefer how my minds' eye imagines the world and characters of the book as oppsed to someone else's vision, but now after having seen the films I can't get my vision back. I think I will not see the movie and stick to my interpretation of the story.

Quote Originally Posted by BigFitz View Post
    I am conflicted. I've read The Hobbit and The Lord of the Rings and I've watched Jackson's LOTR. The movies were well made but I wish I would never have watched them. When I read the books, I prefer how my minds' eye imagines the world and characters of the book as oppsed to someone else's vision, but now after having seen the films I can't get my vision back. I think I will not see the movie and stick to my interpretation of the story.
    It's funny because a lot of people say that Jackson did such a good job of bringing their imagined world to life. Everyone envisions something slightly different, but from my perspective, Jackson's vision was fairly close to mine.
    "I don't slap so good around this time of the evening."

Quote Originally Posted by m0nk View Post
    I suppose I should also note that I'm looking forward to this release with the same anticipation as for the new Star Trek movie. My favorite movies include the most of the original Star Trek movies, JJ Abrams Star Trek, and Peter Jackson's LOTR. I also love classic Golden Era movies just as much...
    I too like science fiction, and the LOTR movies. I have always had a fascination about 3 fantasies since childhood. 1. To be able to fly. 2. To be able to be invisible and 3. To have a time machine.

I think the Star Trek series on TV (both original and STNG) were better science fiction than the the Star Trek movies.

Just got a poster of the map from the story. I think I'll frame it appropriately. Movie coming on the 14th. I'm there.
    ~ Quantum mechanics: The dreams stuff is made of. ~

Practically Family Doctor Damage's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BigFitz
    This is a real problem and one of the (many) reasons I did not like the Jackson movies. The Hobbit was more significant to me as a child growing up and I've read it several times, and enjoyed the animated film which I thought was close enough to the book for me. Apparently Jackson's life-action version is expanded to 3 X 2.5 hour movies with new characters and added sub-plots! No thanks.
    "Do you need more oil, or are you greased up enough, honey?" - Sonny Crockett

The Jackson additions draw from the Silmarillion, LOTR, and other Tolkien works which fleshed out the backstory to and events of what was originally written as a light childern's book. It is not a direct lift of the book, but it is authentically Tolkien. I've seen it, amd recommemd highly.

I had never read the Hobbit (nor the Lord of the Rings), but knew of the story line, based on the 1978 Rankin-Bass cartoonized version of the story. I decided to read the Hobbit a week before the movie came out. The movie is getting a lot of criticism that I think is based on peoples expectations based on what they remember from Lord of the Rings. I myself loved the Hobbit. Both the book, and now the movie. I had to try to educate myself about the extra story lines. The more of Middle Earth in the movie, the merrier. I can't wait until the next movie The Desolation of Smaug. I bet the critics will be back on the band wagon after the next movie. I have seen it in IMAX 3D, and also the new format, the 48 frames per second hi frame rate (HFR) 3D with the new Dolby ATMOS surround system format. I recommend the latter, the detail is amazing. The surround sound is dazzling.

Couldn't resist and went to see it. Hated it. Was relieved when it "ended". Musical score was overwrought. Jokes were cliche or fell flat. Added plot lines? Why? Of course it didn't help that I had to sit through 8 previews.

While the movie differs greatly from the book, does it stand up on its own? If the you hadn't read the book, and walked in blind would you have enjoyed it? My answer is yes, I liked the story, the special effects, etc.., and I am looking forward to part 2
    "Lively up yourself!"