Advertisements
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: McCartney's 3-Piece and the 2nd death of the 3-button

A Devout Crypto-Proctologist in New York City, New York

McCartney's 3-Piece and the 2nd death of the 3-button

Advertisements
    Certainly, another one of my threads that isn't for everyone. Some may find it interesting, though, and want to use for reference.

These caps are from the newly restored version of Help. Paul was suited with an interesting combo - high gorge three (or possibly four) button with vest. There seems to be a button on the breast pocket? The last closeup gives good detail of the material. Doesn't look like it came cheap. In fact, all the boys' suits are perfect fits.

It's a shame that the three/four button suit is dead again - killed by the overexposure in the 90s. Here's a Hugo Ball example.

If you look at Paul's material, you can see it's a heavy wool and it envelopes him perfectly. The three-buttons produced by Ball, Kenneth Cole, et al, follow the Armani model of drapey Italian lightweight material. I automatically think 90s trying-to-be-chic banker/stockbroker/IT guy when I see the latter and perhaps that's why there are thousands of them on the discount racks these days: everyone else thinks the same. Can the three button make a comeback or is it doomed to domancy for another thirty years?

Regards,

Senator Jack

One Too Many
    I have a similar heavy wool three piece (a Montague Burton) from this period. You're right. The fit and drape are first class.

Alan

I also agree, first class suit, the mid 60's were an awesome period, clothes, styles, material. British invasion brought class to America; only wish I could fit into a suit like that, Notice the style of suits today are a take off from the Beatles suits, high lapels? Its not for everyone
    Do not run away; let go. Do not seek, for it will come when least expected. Bruce Lee (1940 - 1973), Tao of Jeet Kune Do

Quote Originally Posted by Senator Jack
    "Say no more!" . . . "I can say no more!"
    Just curious, where does the old 3 button suit where the top button is never buttoned fit in? That's what I would like to find.
    "Hello. I'm Mr. Hardy, and this is my friend, Mr. Laurel."

i didn't realise that the 3 button suit was dead. All of my 1940s english suit jackets are 3 button (it was standard back then) and they look great. Bad suits are just bad suits, however many buttons they have.

A Devout Crypto-Proctologist in New York City, New York
    Just curious, where does the old 3 button suit where the top button is never buttoned fit in? That's what I would like to find.
    You telling me you didn't read my article on buttons?

i didn't realise that the 3 button suit was dead.
    The market's definitely looking to get away from it right now. I've seen more than a few houses producing single buttons over the last year, but of course they got it all wrong. They're trying higher gorge two button affairs, too.

And when I mean dead, I mean dead as far as being in vogue. Unfortunately, I think by next year any sort of three-button is going to elicit comments of 'that suit is really nineties,' even thogh it may be from the thirties/forties/fifties.

Regards,

Senator Jack

One Too Many
    I think the tailoring scene in the US is very different to that in the UK.

Alan

Quote Originally Posted by herringbonekid
    i didn't realise that the 3 button suit was dead. All of my 1940s english suit jackets are 3 button (it was standard back then) and they look great. Bad suits are just bad suits, however many buttons they have.

Except my four button - that just looks plain wrong now!
    BRS
    "...back in the Thirties, the style seeker learned that genuine stylishness was an extension of himself..." AF

FOUR buttons (or more) i can see dating badly. but i don't see 3 buttons looking out dated at all. 2 is the safe option, but 3 is classic enough to stand whatever the fickle hand of fashion can throw at it.

While the Beatles popularized a trim snug fit, it had laready been in the works from the late sixties, but they brought a certain flair to it. I like it. But sometimes it looks a little too odd and specific to the period. That said, this suit is not that. It is not the classic four button kind of edwardian but snug distinct beatles suit or the collarless fab four thing.

This suit looks to be a well tailored traditional saville row or something like that. Very classic and timeless. I love it.

As far as what is in now, I think it is less that the three button was overdone. I think that since designers need to keep changing styles, and that the seventies is kind of in now iin fashion, that they are just using the late sixties early seventies styles rehashed. I do have issues with that. On the otherhand, it has now made selling seventies suits on e-bay viable.

In the late nineties, I sold a ton of sixties three buttons in SF with the line, in this light muted fabric and three button style, you will be able to wear it to work or out and look like you are in a very expensive modern designer suit.

In the early 2000s, I wore them for real estate and did not feel like i looked vintage at all. With a modern shirt and tie, I looked pretty passable. But without the cost and discomfort of a modern suit.