Page 5 of 37 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Thread: Does Anyone Drink Rye Whiskey?

Hi Folks,

You know, I have loved brown liquor for thirty years. I've downed enough Maker's Mark, Blanton's and Jack Daniels to float a freighter. But until I stumbled onto this thread, I had never thought about rye. And I had never tasted it. At least, not that I can recall.

Tonight, at the liquor store, I saw a display of Jim Beam Straight Rye Wiskey. I bought a fifth and, as I write these words, am conducting a little taste test---Jim Beam Rye against Jack Black Label. I thought of comparing it to Blanton's Single Barrel, but that might have not been fair to the rye. By the way, both contestants sit before me straight.

I have very little ablility to describe the taste of something. I understand that some people can, but I can't. I've sat puzzled at wine tastings while people dressed in tweed thrilled at the "nutty, chocolatey, slightly-fruity flavor" of the wine they were sipping. I was just happy that I was able to tell the Merlot from the Pinot Grigio. But I can tell if I like or dislike the taste of something and I can now say that I like rye wiskey. Even the humble Jim Beam brand. It is not quite a mellow or "round" as burbon (does that make sense?), but it is not harsh or acrid, either. Its quite smooth, actually. And it tastes less sweet to me---drier, to borrow a vintner's term.

Well, it isn't Blanton's, but it is good. I might not drink it often, but I can see how it might be a nice occasional change from my normal burbon on the rocks.

Atticus
    The South: Heat and Spanish moss. A Strange hot land of courtly manners and sudden violence, elegance and anger.

Vancouver (not B.C), Washington (not D.C.)

I just bought a bottle of Sazerac. I will see how it compares to Maker's Mark tonight.
    All it takes for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke

Quote Originally Posted by MK
    I just bought a bottle of Sazerac. I will see how it compares to Maker's Mark tonight.

I loves Sazerac. It makes good Sazeracs, if you can belive that.

My Rye of choice at home is 40 Creek, a small batch produced Canadian product that seems to please a lot of pallettes.
    Politicians, ugly buildings and whores all get respectable if they last long
    enough.

One of the Regulars
    Quote Originally Posted by scotrace
    I'm afraid not - nor should anyone do so, as you are under the legal drinking age and should not be a participant in this activity, or this thread, old man.
    That was a rather brusque thing to say. I'm not sure about other states, but in Texas, it is legal to drink no matter what one's age as long as one's parents are present and consent to it. And given that I will be 21 in a month, I think it is perfectly reasonable to ask for suggestions.

From a house policy perspective, The Fedora Lounge is not encouraging minors to drink. If their parents have a different policy....that is between them and their kids.

My Sazerac Manhattan is very tasty. The bottle costs as much as Maker's Mark though....and is harder to find.

Good Stuff.

My Sazerac Manhattan is very tasty. The bottle costs as much as Maker's Mark though....and is harder to find.
    Sazerac is good, I have that in the bar here and I only drink it with good friends.

FG.
    The great thing about it is...no matter how much we drink, they'll always make more.

Quote Originally Posted by FedoraGent
    Sazerac is good, I have that in the bar here and I only drink it with good friends.

FG.
    Excellent. Then you and I shall have one next time we meet.

Rye Old Fashioned.

Excellent. Then you and I shall have one next time we meet.
    I'll make you my Old Old Fashioned, pretty much it's a Rye Old Fashioned.

FG.
    The great thing about it is...no matter how much we drink, they'll always make more.

"A List" Customer J.S.Udontknowme's Avatar
    I bought a bottle of Wild Turkey rye today. Our ABC stores here are city owned and Wild Turkey and Jim Beam were the only two brands they had. It's only about ten miles to an ABC store in SC from here. I'm going there Monday and see if I can find some Sazerac. The Wild Turkey is good, but not too much different than the bourbon I usually drink. I'll probably keep a bottle here now.