Page 492 of 551 FirstFirst ... 392442482490491492493494502542 ... LastLast
Results 4,911 to 4,920 of 5501

Thread: Show us your suits

I know this is a modern suit without much style, but it's my first wool suit (I used to wear a black polyester suit, and I have thankfully since lost too much weigh to ever wear it again). I bought it from Land's End a few months ago, and I'm in no position to return it, so it's mine until it wears out. I'd like to get a few opinions as to how it fits. These aren't great quality photographs, but I think they're good representations of what you'd actually see.

Does my suit fit OK, even if it has flaws? Any style advice for this, or what my next suit may be?

From yesterday at university. I don't usually wear suits, but I wore it out of respect for a Holocaust survivor guest-lecturing my class:

From side-angles three months ago, smaller pics:

Fedora picture, from some time ago:

For what it is, do I pull the look off right? Thank you!
    Last edited by The Good; 03-10-2012 at 02:39 AM.
    Romans 10:9
    Sincerely,
    J.B.

Congrats on the first wool suit. I think it fits fine on the body/chest. The sleeves have a modern lenght which is ok. The legs seem too long but I don't know how short you can go with modern trousers This isn't meant to sound off putting but you know vintage suits just hang and drape different.

I think the red tie works better because the blue is too close on the color of the shirt. Maybe a dark blue would do the trick.

Looks dandy. But that blue tie is far too light. You need a darker cobalt/indigo/navy blue. A skyblue tie like that just vanishes into the background.

Do you like knit ties? A navy blue square end would fit the style.

One of the Regulars Patrick Hall's Avatar
    Thanks for the kind words all! I snagged another great 30s double breasted off ebay recently that I'll add to this thread soon.

-PMH

@The Good - overall, very nice suit. I agree with what's been said regarding the ties; the pale blue shirt compliments the suit quite nicely, but the blue tie is too close to it. The red tie is much better. The blue tie is very classy though and you could pull it off with a white shirt. My only other point would be to suggest that you either have your jacket sleeves shortened (preferably not) or get a shirt that's longer in the sleeve so that you show about 1/4 inch to 1/2 inch of shirt cuff.

May I ask, is your suit by chance made by Pronto Uomo? The suit I wore today is very similar in cut and appears to be of an almost identical, if not identical material to yours.
    http://img338.imageshack.us/img338/9912/gtsig.jpg
    “Nowhere in the world will such a brotherly feeling of confidence be experienced as amongst those who sit together smoking their pipes.”

Flat Foot Floey and Gin&Tonics: Thanks, it's not a suit I actually plan to have tailored. It's a cheap Land's End "Year'rounder" suit from the suit separates (pants and jacket). I chose the tailored jacket, and the flat front, traditional fit pants (their tailored chinos are too skin-tight for me). I wish there was an option in between traditional and tailored fit, but it's either one extreme or the other, and I don't think the traditional fit pants are bad, but I could have done without the full break.

As for the tie and shirt combination, at the time I was in an awful hurry to get out the door. Otherwise, I might have thought about the white shirt instead. Also, a knit tie could work really well too. I'm actually thinking about getting a grenadine tie made in midnight blue, as I find the square-bottom of knits to be a bit off-putting right now.
    Romans 10:9
    Sincerely,
    J.B.

Here's a shot form a couple weeks ago of me and some other vintage loving friends, (including jazz cornetist and good buddy Drew Nugent, in the white tie), at a gig down in Tribeca in Manhattan. I'm wearing the very nifty suit I won on the Bay last year, that has Dec,21, 1942 inscribed in the pocket.

http://www.facebook.com/#!/photo.php...type=3&theater
    "Hello. I'm Mr. Hardy, and this is my friend, Mr. Laurel."

Very cool suit dhermann. Is it vintage?

Very nice suits guys! I can't wait until the hemming is done on the pants so I can post pictures of mine as well!
    In a crisis you don't rise to the occasion, but rather default to your level of training!