Page 517 of 551 FirstFirst ... 17417467507515516517518519527 ... LastLast
Results 5,161 to 5,170 of 5501

Thread: Show us your suits

Incurably Addicted
    Quote Originally Posted by thunderw21 View Post
    Some of us still do.
    Let's see, there's you and Fletch and............well, I'm sure there are others....

My Mail is Forwarded Here splintercellsz's Avatar
    I really do like your style as well, Badger! Your suit is SHARP! I really like the gre & black w/ a brown overlay check pattern!
    I seem to have acquired quite a serious fever... and the only cure is more hats!
    Best Wishes,
    Justin

Items in the Classifieds:
    WTB: 1900s - 1940s Fedoras, Homburgs, Westerns, Caps, etc.

https://www.facebook.com/justin.seagraves.98

Quote Originally Posted by Baron Kurtz View Post
    Red. Your monitor colour settings might be on the blink?
    I meant the undercheck is navy (or is it?) not the overplaid. The overplaid looks like a nice, soft red on my monitor.
    Who says the golden era has to be tasteful and dignified?

It looks like a really deep Navy to me. Here is a better shot.

I seem to have acquired quite a serious fever... and the only cure is more hats!
    Best Wishes,
    Justin

Being slowly digested inside "The Crouching Monster" …
    undercheck - Yes, it's a very very deep blue.
    Last edited by Baron Kurtz; 11-13-2012 at 02:04 AM.
    There is but one truly serious philosophical problem, and that is suicide. All the rest . . . comes afterwards. Albert Camus

http://baronkurtzvintage.wordpress.com/

Hey guys, as promised my newest suit:

I had a good laugh when Splintercellz posted his newest suit, because it seems like mine is almost an exact copy/repro of his. I'm fairly certain this suit is a 70's does 40's/30's affair for a few reasons. Check those awesome wide lapels!

The very NOT golden era looking label, albeit from a very venerable company whose existence predates this country, in fact. Made in Korea, too. Here you can see the fabric weave fairly well. I was pleasantly surprised to find it's actually a fairly heavy weight of fabric, much heavier than anything you'd find off the rack nowadays.

And the full lining, which I understand is indicative of modernity. Still, I rather like it. How much did I pay for this natty little 70's number you ask? 7 bucks at the local thrift store.

It had a broken button on the sleeve and needed to be let out in the chest ever so slightly. Originally it had a very significant flare on the trousers and plain hems, but there was a ton of extra fabric on the hem, so I had the tailor take out some of that excessive flare and put some cuffs on there. I really like the result.
    http://img338.imageshack.us/img338/9912/gtsig.jpg
    “Nowhere in the world will such a brotherly feeling of confidence be experienced as amongst those who sit together smoking their pipes.”

Yes and no on the full lining. It's used in modern suits as a labor saving measure (it eliminates the need for lots of internal finishing work, since internal seams aren't visible).

That said, full lining wasn't completely unknown in the 30s/40s. I own a tuxedo and a suit -- both German from the 30s -- as well as a 40s suit, all of which are fully lined.

Interestingly, full lining wasn't a sign of poor quality either. For example, that tuxedo I own is a bespoke piece which has the same amount of internal finishing work as if it were showing. According to the tailor that altered for, there's not even a single machine stitch in the whole tux. Similarly, the 40s suit was made by a locally well know (long defunct) custom tailor who was popular among SF's affluent Jewish community in the 40s and 50s (again, according to my aged tailor).
    Last edited by Guttersnipe; 11-13-2012 at 06:51 PM.

Incurably Addicted
    Quote Originally Posted by Guttersnipe View Post
    (again, according to my aged tailor).
    I love talking to the old-timers....in any field.

VERY nice Gin! I really like the pattern! Fits you perfectly!
    Best Wishes,
    Justin

Quote Originally Posted by Guttersnipe View Post
    Yes and no on the full lining. It's used in modern suits as a labor saving measure (it eliminates the need for lots of internal finishing work, since internal seams aren't visible).

That said, full lining wasn't completely unknown in the 30s/40s. I own a tuxedo and a suit -- both German from the 30s -- as well as a 40s suit, all of which are fully lined.
    As far as I know full lining was rather the rule than the exception for German suit jackets.