Page 48 of 92 FirstFirst ... 38464748495058 ... LastLast

Thread: Berets, Anyone?

Not boring at all Daan always look forward to your post's on Berets. Hope to be ordering a few soon.

I too, although I have nothing to add that would be helpful on the subject, always enjoy reading your posts on the subject. Keep it up. I'm thinking about trying to form a little Petanque club here.........so maybe more sales!

MP
    Last edited by MikePotts; 05-08-2012 at 09:50 AM. Reason: appalling spelling

Ah, thanks for the positive comments - much appreciated.

I'd better post some more then, like these photographs of Pétanque; a stimulus for MP.

Pétanque is a form of boules where the goal is, while standing inside a starting circle with both feet on the ground, to throw hollow metal balls as close as possible to a small wooden ball called a cochonnet (literally "piglet") or jack. It is also sometimes called a bouchon (literally "cork") or le petit ("the small one").

The game is normally played on hard dirt or gravel, but can also be played on grass, sand or other surfaces. Similar games are bocce and bowls. The current form of the game originated in 1907 in La Ciotat, in Provence, in southern France. The English and French name pétanque comes from la petanca in the Provençal dialect of the Occitan language, deriving from the expression pès tancats, meaning "feet together" or more exactly "feet anchored".

The casual form of the game of pétanque is played by about 17 million people in France, mostly during their summer vacations. There are about 375,000 players licensed with the Fédération Française de Pétanque et Jeu Provençal (FFPJP) and some 3,000 in England.

Another 20,000 or so play in Quebec. Additionally, pétanque clubs have arisen in cities throughout the United States, Australia, New Zealand and other countries in recent years. Béret and boules are an excellent combination!

This stimulus is GREATLY appreciated Daan, fine pictures. Thanks!

MP

Wonder if a Beret could be worn for Corn hole.

I was contacted by Brazilian blogger "Gaucho Gaucho" about some pictures of beret-wearing gaucho's and was introduced to his blog: Guia da Bombacha. An enormous wealth of information on 'anything gaucho', with many historic photographs. I'd highly recommend a visit!
    A few of his pictures, I'll post here, starting with these gaucho's from Southern Chile:

And look at these nice pic's here:

Not surprising, most of the berets pictured on the blog, vintage and modern, are Tolosa Tupida's and Espinosa's.

Enjoy.

Great photos and great blog - thanks for posting. One of the berets above looks more like an orange wide-awake!
    Last edited by Godfrey; 05-10-2012 at 04:00 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Daan View Post
    A few of his pictures, I'll post here, starting with these gaucho's from Southern Chile:
    Interesting stuff, thanks for bring this to our attention.

Espinosa 24

Most berets sold by South Pacific Berets go to the US, the UK, Germany, Australia and Canada (in that order).

Czech Radiovka 265

My statistics tell me that practically none of the Red Berets go there, with the exception of Australia (I have to admit, the Aussies are more daring and unconventional, when it comes to berets...).

Tolosa Tupida with Moroccan Leather Headband

Interestingly, it's not a world-wide phenomenon. Red berets are among the most popular in South America, where they are worn mainly by the gaucho's and during equestrian events.

Gauchos, Argentina

And then, of course, there are the many festivals, in France and Spain, where a red beret is compulsory gear.

Tolosa Tupida Plato Grande 35cm

I have to admit that I don't wear my red berets that often, but I am very fond of my little French beret with the logo of motor club Les Petrolettes Dauphinoises.

My small diameter Petrolettes beret - not for sale!
    To promote RED, I'll have all models on sale for a short period of time, and only through The Beret Project!

I posted about the peaked beret previously on the Fedora Lounge and I never expected to see so many people interested in this kind of beret. The small supply of black peaked berets I had sold out quickly and it was hard work to source more. I guess some find it just a bit easier to wear a beret with a small peak than the traditional Basque beret (as per my mantra: "a cap is for people who don't dare to wear a beret").

Looking for manufacturers of these berets, I came upon a small company in the USA: Hoodlums, who were able to re-supply my stock with US (hand)made peaked berets. Great hats, a pleasure to wear, but interestingly, they somehow make me think strongly of the 1917 Soviet Revolution...

Just have a look at these old photographs and compare.
    Last edited by Daan; 05-31-2012 at 04:55 PM.