Thread: Would anyone be able to tell what year this is from?

Would anyone be able to tell what year this is from?

Hey! I just bought a table radio on the 'Bay, and there wasn't any information about the date in the listing. It's not super important because I like it no matter what, but I'm curious as to what year this might possibly be from? I'm thinking post-WWII? I tried doing some research using The Google...but all the radio lingo confused me.

I am bad and that is good, I will never be good and that's not bad, there's no one I'd rather be than me .

hmmm

Quote Originally Posted by zaika
    Hey! I just bought a table radio on the 'Bay, and there wasn't any information about the date in the listing. It's not super important because I like it no matter what, but I'm curious as to what year this might possibly be from? I'm thinking post-WWII? I tried doing some research using The Google...but all the radio lingo confused me.

Have you looked to see if there is a maker's mark or something on the molding? Barring that, Id see if you can open it...Parts inside are BOUND to have a date or date it just by the technology. Internet searches for images help too. Thats the archaeologist's two cents.

DRJONES
    Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it

You're right about post WWII. It looks 1948-1950 to me.

If you can find the model number on the back, I can probably give you a more exact date (if I can find my Sam's Photofact Index).

Familiar Face
    They may be able to help you on here

http://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/index.php?

I'd agree, 1946 to 50.
    Now, if it has any buzzor humm that would indicate that the capacitors are bad. You should have it looked at by an expert, and have the caps replaced. That's pretty much a requirement with old tube radios. And if you really get into it, the good old SStran AMT3000 AM transmitter will enable you to listen to ANY input on it. Enjoy!
    "Hello. I'm Mr. Hardy, and this is my friend, Mr. Laurel."

Here are some close matches:
    http://www.radioattic.com/item.php?radio=0055094
    http://www.radioattic.com/item.php?radio=0051207
    GENERAL ELECTRIC model T-131A, unusual looking 50s tube radio:
    http://members.aol.com/dmradios/50926.jpg
    What's kind of interesting about that one is that dial. GE usually had a horizontal dial. I looked at a number of sites and only found one with a similar dial (see above). Pretty cool.

Quote Originally Posted by drjones
    Internet searches for images help too. Thats the archaeologist's two cents.

DRJONES
    that did the trick, dr. jones!! thanks!

1952. i was hoping that it was at least 1948...not that it really makes a difference.

however...i think i might save up for one of those restored beauties from the radio attic website. wowie!!! thanks a lot dhermann, for introducing me to that website. geez. yet another thing to drool over.

oh...and that AM transmitter made me go weak in the knees. d'ya mean to say that with it i can even PLAY MY RECORDS over the old radio?
    I am bad and that is good, I will never be good and that's not bad, there's no one I'd rather be than me .

Exactly. It's a little box with an antenna. Any input, CD, phono, internet radio, etc., goes in and creates a low power AM signal. You'll be a radio station to anyone with about 1/4 mile or less. Some people use them for radio stations with apartment complexes. I just use mine to broadcast to my big Zenith console ten feet away. A lot of people here have them. To get one pre assembled (as opposed to kit form) costs about $150. Strictly legal if used as directed.

Quote Originally Posted by dhermann1
    Exactly. It's a little box with an antenna. Any input, CD, phono, internet radio, etc., goes in and creates a low power AM signal. You'll be a radio station to anyone with about 1/4 mile or less. Some people use them for radio stations with apartment complexes. I just use mine to broadcast to my big Zenith console ten feet away. A lot of people here have them. To get one pre assembled (as opposed to kit form) costs about $150. Strictly legal if used as directed.

hmmm....my leetle brain has begun to think. the thought of broadcasting my vinyl makes me very happy. very happy, indeed.

btw...do you suppose an FM transmitter would work as well? i have one for my iPod...it's not perfect, but it gets the job done when i just want to listen to my iPod over my stereo.