Page 1943 of 2466 FirstFirst ... 9431443184318931933194119421943194419451953199320432443 ... LastLast
Results 19,421 to 19,430 of 24659

Thread: Ebay Hats: Victories, Defeats, Gripes & Items of Interest

Quote Originally Posted by Joshbru3 View Post
    SO......I received that beautiful turn of the century (Baku?) Boater........wasn't quite what I expected.

IT WAS DESTROYED BY USPS!!

The seller was more than willing to give a refund, but was very irritated because he told me that this was the second time this month that USPS delivered a packaged completely smashed. Just to be fair, the seller just packed the hat with some packing paper which wouldn't have protected anything. He should have used bubble wrap, double boxed, and packing peanuts. I would have paid for the extra materials had I known.
    Dang, Josh, that's horrible!!!

I guess I've been lucky--in the hundreds of purchases I've made on eBay, with the vast majority being sent USPS, the ONLY ones I've had damaged enroute were damaged by commecial shippers. From your description of the lack of packing care I'd assign a lot of the blame to the seller as well since no matter who you ship with you can expect packages to get stacked on top of each other. A sturdy box is a must! I do hope your seller learns that lesson instead of blaming it all on USPS and not improving his ways.

But still, no matter who was at fault, it is sickening to see an irreplacable hat or other item arrive destroyed due to lack of care.

Regards,
    Tom
    "One canít stop progress, of course, but Iíd really like to stick out my foot and trip it."

"A man either lives life as it happens-meets it head on and licks it. Or turns his back on it and begins to wither away."

My Mail is Forwarded Here Joshbru3's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by hatophile View Post
    Yikes, what a shame. That's a really nice example of a different style boater. Sorry for you Josh!
    Quote Originally Posted by Chepstow View Post
    Josh, what a ****. Sorry for the word. That's what I think first.
    I can feel what you feel this moment.. I am sorry for you. I hope you find an other Exemplar.
    Quote Originally Posted by rlk View Post
    I am so sorry about the beautiful boater
    Quote Originally Posted by Mystic View Post
    Sad to see, Josh.

Considering what the hat WAS...and your anticipation of receiving it.

really sad to see.......
    Quote Originally Posted by Aureliano View Post
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by zetwal View Post
    You will ... no worries on that point. Remember too that between now and then you are sure to find many undamaged gems.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tango Yankee View Post
    Dang, Josh, that's horrible!!!

I guess I've been lucky--in the hundreds of purchases I've made on eBay, with the vast majority being sent USPS, the ONLY ones I've had damaged enroute were damaged by commecial shippers. From your description of the lack of packing care I'd assign a lot of the blame to the seller as well since no matter who you ship with you can expect packages to get stacked on top of each other. A sturdy box is a must! I do hope your seller learns that lesson instead of blaming it all on USPS and not improving his ways.

But still, no matter who was at fault, it is sickening to see an irreplacable hat or other item arrive destroyed due to lack of care.

Regards,
    Tom

THANKS so much for the condolences, Gentlemen. I really appreciate them!

Zetwal is right, I will find another one like it in the future (hopefully) and maybe next time I will be able to wear it.

Tom, this was my first damaged hat in all of my Ebay purchases, which I would say is a pretty good record. I have received smashed boxes before, but they have been felts that I was able to steam back to normal. I wouldn't blame USPS entirely because like you said, it was also the sellers fault for crumby packaging. I do blame USPS a great deal for this one though, because the box literally weighed less than 2 pounds and looked like a 50 pound box was thrown on top of it. I understand that USPS deals with millions of packages every day, but it just seemed like utter disregard on their behalf. I would hope that the seller learned his lesson considering its his second ruined package this month. He's going to refund my entire purchase price and I'm sure he refunded the other persons purchase price as well. He's just loosing money by not packaging properly. What really makes me kinda of sad, isn't so much that a hat got ruined, but that in the last 100 or so years, its survived times of war, hurricanes, floods, etc, only to meet its demise by the United States Postal Service. I know that's not how I would want to go....that's for sure.
    "For all we know this may only be a dream. We come and go like a ripple on a stream. So love me tonight; tomorrow was made for some. Tomorrow may never come, for all we know." (Nat King Cole)

Quote Originally Posted by rlk View Post

On a similar note, here is the box from France before and after its soggy pick-up from the P.O. in a damaged outer box.

Still trying to remove stains and odor from hats.
    I'm really sorry to hear that those hats and box got soaked! They look like beauties! Would a naptha bath possibly remove the mildew smell? I know I had several hats that smelled like strong mildew and I just steamed and brushed the heck out of them, and eventually the smell went away. They could have probably used a good naptha bath or some time in newspaper though.
    "For all we know this may only be a dream. We come and go like a ripple on a stream. So love me tonight; tomorrow was made for some. Tomorrow may never come, for all we know." (Nat King Cole)

The seller was more than willing to give a refund, but was very irritated because he told me that this was the second time this month that USPS delivered a packaged completely smashed.
    Slow learner, that seller. I have had a number of eBay purchases end that way. Ouch.

BTW, what the heck is the liner in the picture? It looks like a shed snake skin.
    And what is the sweatband made from?

I am trying not to think about that being a 7 5/8.
    Personally, I would never want to be a member of any group where you either have to wear a hat or you canít wear a hat.

Quote Originally Posted by feltfan View Post
    Slow learner, that seller. I have had a number of eBay purchases end that way. Ouch.

BTW, what the heck is the liner in the picture? It looks like a shed snake skin.

Looks like crinoline or some similiar stiffening material for "body."
    Cheers,
    Ray

Quote Originally Posted by feltfan View Post

The boater has a regular liner on the crown and what your seeing in the picture is the mesh that has deteriorated over time.

Here's a better picture of the liner:

The sweatband is just regular leather, but as with other styles of vintage hats, was put through a leather embosser to give it that certain pattern. If I were to guess its probably roan leather. The color and texture is similar to an old 1930's Dobbs Boater that I own.

The boater has a regular liner on the crown and what your seeing in the picture is the mesh that has deteriorated over time. Here's a better picture of the liner [...]
    I love the soft orange liner and simplicity of the logo.

Practically Family
    The boater has a regular liner on the crown and what your seeing in the picture is the mesh that has deteriorated over time.

Here's a better picture of the liner:

The sweatband is just regular leather, but as with other styles of vintage hats, was put through a leather embosser to give it that certain pattern. If I were to guess its probably roan leather. The color and texture is similar to an old 1930's Dobbs Boater that I own.
    Are you going to send it back to the seller or mount it and hang it on the wall as a monument to "Half-arse service" (seller packing) and "Don't give a Crap service" (USPS handleing).

The sweatband is just regular leather
    Thanks. Interesting. And sorry to hear it. Hopefully you can use the band as spare parts...
    Personally, I would never want to be a member of any group where you either have to wear a hat or you canít wear a hat.

Well, didn't win the Gay Prince that was took big and went for $80, but did BIN this one...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/251036355930...84.m1497.l2649

Apparently a Gay Prince in 6 7/8 that'll need a bit of a stretch. $20 BIN, figured I didn't have that much to lose.
    ~Jared

'''Greed: It ain't goin anywhere,' they should have that across a big billboard in Times Square!"
    Joe Strummer
    1952-2002