Page 14 of 19 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 ... LastLast

Thread: Shoe Care / Shoe Shine

One of the Regulars mannySpaghetti's Avatar
    This might seem like a funny question, but I've never owned a pair of brown dress shoes before. Black and oxblood has always covered my bases. This pair of used shoes is gonna be gettin' the old treatment from me; "spit-shine", new laces, edge dressing, heel taps, the works. Anyways, my question is this, "Should I go with regular brown wax for these or dark brown?"

My thought is try the "regular" brown first, I like the patina, and if it isn't right, you can always darken them with the "dark" brown.

I agree. Hope you'll show them again when they're done.

David

7 7/8 L.O.

Incurably Addicted

Thumbs up Highly recommended product.

How would I go about getting a slightly darker brown, almost burnished, toe on a lighter brown shoe? Like this, I mean?

Incurably Addicted
    Quote Originally Posted by Creeping Past
    How would I go about getting a slightly darker brown, almost burnished, toe on a lighter brown shoe?
    For your perusal.

One of the Regulars mannySpaghetti's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Highlander
    My thought is try the "regular" brown first, I like the patina, and if it isn't right, you can always darken them with the "dark" brown.
    Quote Originally Posted by Canadave
    I agree. Hope you'll show them again when they're done.

Well I got my Cole Haan's in today and what a great pair of used shoes! The heel and soles are only slightly worn and it'll be quite some time before this pair sees the local cobbler, but the uppers are in fantastic condition. There was a bit of wax chunked up on it as seen on the above pic. Some areas, namely the creases, were just too much to bare so I scraped the excess wax off, gave the shoes a real good reapplication of regular brown wax like "Highlander" suggested and then a vigorous brush off. I then "spit-shined" the toe caps only. Something I normally do because that's the most prevelant part of the shoe that everyone sees. Came out pretty good too, though it's a wee bit darker then the rest of the shoes. Overall, I'd say this was a good ebaY victory; got these for $33 and that included shipping. Now I'm just waiting on some black "Cap-toe" Bostonians and hopefully soon I'll find some nice Johnston Murphy "Wingtips".

Nice job!

David

7 7/8 L.O.

Quote Originally Posted by Tomasso
    For your perusal.
    Thanks, T. Now it seems obvious. Well, I suppose it is...

Quote Originally Posted by Tomasso
    For your perusal.

Black shoe cream - not wax for antiquing high points. Cream adds colour - wax is essentially clear and lies on the surface. Cream penetrates and colours a shoe. Another trick is for the cobbler to put them on the buffer which slightly burns the leather and leaves an antiqued finish. But the cobbler has to know what to do.

I like Angelus wax ...others like Saphir shoe creams on styleforum.net...most cobblers recommend Kiwi (not Parade Gloss which has hydrocarbons).

Here are my my EG Monmouths which are factory antiqued:

Don't take the pictures as gospel as they were uncared for when I bought them. All I do now is wax them to a spit shine. I don't want a cream to interfere with the original antiquing.