Advertisements
Page 1773 of 2566 FirstFirst ... 7731273167317231763177117721773177417751783182318732273 ... LastLast
Results 17,721 to 17,730 of 25660

Thread: Post New Hats Here!

Advertisements
    Congratulations, Jeff... looks great.

The felt is pretty darned awesome,

This that is the Borso for you.

Lookin' good Jeff.
    You can have my girl, but don't touch my hat!

Lyle Lovett

Near the World's Largest Outdoor Insane Asylum
    I wore my newer Portis Amish bowler today in a downpour. What a piece of junk! The color ran on it! I am glad I paid next to nothing for it---it was worth exactly what I paid. It was my rain hat. I never noticed the color run like that before but it sure did today. I sure hope it was dirt but I am sure it wasn't----on a black hat.
    I guess I will go back to my Dobbs and Borsalinos from the 40s-50s. The color on those never runs. Lesson learned.
    People think they are so rebellious and original, when really they are just banal, boring and dumb.

Depending on how it was made, it was either cheap power finish, or crappy dye. I bet it was dye. Inferior felt bodies can be made to look better with the application of dye AFTER the felting process.

Good thing the color matches your hair color....hahhaaaa.a.
    "Thanks for the memories...."
    I can't believe it's been ELEVEN years!!

Near the World's Largest Outdoor Insane Asylum
    Quote Originally Posted by Andykev View Post
    Depending on how it was made, it was either cheap power finish, or crappy dye. I bet it was dye. Inferior felt bodies can be made to look better with the application of dye AFTER the felting process.

Good thing the color matches your hair color....hahhaaaa.a.
    Yep, cheap dyes or powder to even out the finish is likely the cause. This hat was likely made in the 60s-70s---when the hat industry was losing brainpower and craftsmanship. They are probably related closely.
    I just went and looked at it under bright light. The color has gotten slightly lighter. Fortunately the felt didn't soak through or the hair color thing might have fixed some gray. It isn't blotchy so you are right. The dye job stunk.
    I guess I can relegate it to the costume hat pile--for sun but not the weather.
    People think they are so rebellious and original, when really they are just banal, boring and dumb.

Quote Originally Posted by bowlerman View Post
    Well, you wear them well, JB-- keep on getting those Akubras! Been enjoying your modern Borsalinos too lately. I especially like that "Film."

I got my Borsalino yesterday. It's kind of amazing. Basically impeccable condition, with a light striation on the top of the crown that disappears when creased. I don't know what that is.
    This is a conservative hat for me in terms of color, with a 2 inch cav-edged brim and rather wide black ribbon. It's a very light and warm grey, though in direct sunlight in almost goes silver belly. The felt is pretty darned awesome, and I dig the wide grey sweatband. Enjoy!

anyone know what that handwriting says on the label inside the sweatband?
    bucklin, very nice Akubra, i still haven't aquired one of these. I spoke with the hat designer who made all the hats for the movie Australia a few months ago about getting something made from her out of an Akubra, but haven't gotten their yet. Love the lid, really like the way you did your brim, very simple, and your pinch isn't really tight, i like that look. I like the pinch looking just like yours, very clean.

nice one jeff, love the color. See you still have no beard, while mine is coming back hahaha. It does have a silverbelly tone to it in the sun, looks good on you, its always nice to have a change.

-posting my new hat i designed tomorrow from sunbody hats. Off to my experiments, figuring out a new color technique for sunbody hats. Its funny i work 9-5 but since the owner asked me to take some roughed up straws home to figure out something new with coloring the hat, which will be a trade secret when i'm done, its like work never ends, but can i actually say working with hats all day is work, Nope. I'm having a blast.

you guys are looking great in your new lids.

Today was flea market day for me.
    I visit two flea markets near my home town. The results, three Homburger, one of them a really nice old Wegener. mid gray.
    The other Homburgs are old but unknown Manufacturer.

more photos in German & Austrian Hutmacher
    Last edited by Chepstow; 04-01-2012 at 10:57 AM.
    Manfred

nice looking homburg, what a great find. Its in really good condition.

Jeff and Manfred--amazing lids lads! And thanks for the compliments on my Fed IV (you too Coble). I wish I had the patience and determination to find vintage hats like you guys. I will get there eventually. In the meantime I continue to acquire the best modern-day, factory-made hats I can, the top two being Akubra and Borsalino---especially the Film. And of course, let's not forget Art. I just put in an order with him for a milan!