Advertisements
Page 11 of 37 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast

Thread: Panama Bob

New In Town

Advertisements
    It is a shame that i have had to use this forum to show my disapoiintment in the way i have been treated. But when i was told 'no more emails' you can hardly call that the treatment a customer would expect.
    I bought the hat from bob due to the excellent reports I read of him from here.
    It seems when the hat does arrive that i must be in for a treat as i did not know that i was getting a higher grade had than what i had paid for and was expecting.
    We have exchanged over 20 emails, BUT, when you email someone and he doesnt reply for 15 days, he tells you it will be dispatched that week and then are told in two weeks time it will be dispatched in a week and it still isnt, I'm sure you cant blame me for thinking something is wrong.

I suggested to Bob that perhaps he should have a diary system just to let his customers know if there is a delay.
    In england we hear so many stories of the american customer service ethos.

As it seems he now refuses to communicate with me, i was merely trying to suggest that this regretable post would never of been made if
    I was told how long the delay was
    the fact i had been up graded to a superior hat.
    emails were answered.

I'm not a man whos afraid to apologise if i have been wrong in my comments, I do not know ths size of Bob's company, or how busy he is. He seems so incredibly well thought of here, may be i've just been the unlucky customer where every thing possible that could of gone wrong has.
    But may be a little better communication would of made this all so unnecessary and Bobs fabulous reputation would of been enhanced rather than questioned.

I hope after the weekend to be Posting what a super guy he is and how wrong i may of been in criticising him.
    Last edited by smp18055; 02-16-2011 at 07:29 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Panamabob View Post
    I thought I should add that the guy paid $150.00 for the hat that is easily worth $389 on the website. His $60.00 VAT will mean he pays $210.00...
    Sigh, I'm SOOOO glad we don't have VAT. I like being able to look at something and say it cost $x, because that's what's labeled on it $x.

Later
    Mike

Groucho Marx said it best:
    “Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it everywhere, diagnosing it incorrectly and applying all the wrong remedies.”

Quote Originally Posted by 1961MJS View Post
    Sigh, I'm SOOOO glad we don't have VAT. I like being able to look at something and say it cost $x, because that's what's labeled on it $x.

Later
    Most shops (almost all, I would say) do quote prices inclusive of VAT, so the price we see is the price we pay at the checkout. It's only when buying something from overseas that we are sometimes charged import duty. And no, that is not the fault of the vendor!

Don't you have a similar sales tax over there?
    I'm not dressed up. I'm just dressed.

Quote Originally Posted by AntonAAK View Post
    Most shops (almost all, I would say) do quote prices inclusive of VAT, so the price we see is the price we pay at the checkout. It's only when buying something from overseas that we are sometimes charged import duty. And no, that is not the fault of the vendor!

Don't you have a similar sales tax over there?
    All but five states levy a sales tax, which is executed in an annoying manner. Price tags will list only the base price for a good; sales tax is calculated at the point of sale, leaving any customer who wishes to ascertain what he will pay in advance to calculate it for himself. It can be especially frustrating if, as is the case in most states, there are exceptions or different rates for certain kinds of goods or some local governments have the power to levy further sales taxes. It's a dumb system and I've never understood why merchants don't list the sales tax on their displayed prices.
    Last edited by Delthayre; 02-16-2011 at 08:55 AM.
    "Power tends to corrupt; absolute power corrupts absolutely. Great men are almost always bad men."
    ~Lord Acton

Quote Originally Posted by Delthayre View Post
    All but five states levy a sales tax, which is executed in an annoying manner. Price tags will list only the base price for a good; sales tax is calculated at the point of sale, leaving any customer who wishes to ascertain what he will pay in advance to calculate it for himself. It can be especially frustrating if, as is the case in a few states, there are exceptions or different rates for certain kinds of goods. It's a dumb system and I've never understood why merchants don't list the sales tax on their displayed prices.
    Thanks, that's what I thought but I've only been to the US once unfortunately. I would love to visit more...
    I'm not dressed up. I'm just dressed.

Quote Originally Posted by Delthayre View Post
    All but five states levy a sales tax, which is executed in an annoying manner. Price tags will list only the base price for a good; sales tax is calculated at the point of sale, leaving any customer who wishes to ascertain what he will pay in advance to calculate it for himself. It can be especially frustrating if, as is the case in most states, there are exceptions or different rates for certain kinds of goods or some local governments have the power to levy further sales taxes. It's a dumb system and I've never understood why merchants don't list the sales tax on their displayed prices.
    As he said, it is a "dumb" system and somewhat complicated. Here in Texas, there is a maximum amt. in total for sales tax and the State amt is at present set lower than that max amt to allow local cities to asses an amt. they need which often brings the sales tax amt. up to the State max. The city I live in does that to garner revenue so we pay the max in sales tax here. Also, certain items such as medicines and services are exempt from sales tax at the present. But given the economics we live in, that may change BTW, only firms which have a retail presnce IN Texas may charge sales tax even if they are NOT based in Texas

Onward thru the Fog

What's the VAT percentage markup in England? The VAT seems analogous to the Harmonized Sales Tax in Canada, which is inconsistent depending on province. For example, my province pays a 12% sales tax markup. Easily 30+ dollars on a 300 dollar hat.
    It is the function of a Prince to kill monsters. If the derivative of a Prince is set to zero, the kingdom survives.

Well, it may have appeared that I was questioning Panama Bob's integrity, and I want to publicly assure him that is not the case. I have never dealt with PB, and certainly have no reason to disparage him. From what I read here, the preponderance of his feedback is very good and I will assume that to be the case until it is proven otherwise.
    Bob, please accept my apologies, it was not my intention to slander you.
    Without heroes, we are all plain people, and don't know how far we can go. Bernard Malamud
    Only bikers understand why dogs hang their heads out the window!! Oh yeah, you can call me Rob!!

One of the Regulars
    Quote Originally Posted by scooter View Post
    Well, it may have appeared that I was questioning Panama Bob's integrity, and I want to publicly assure him that is not the case. I have never dealt with PB, and certainly have no reason to disparage him. From what I read here, the preponderance of his feedback is very good and I will assume that to be the case until it is proven otherwise.
    I bet you end up with an ass-kickin' hat!!! I was more than pleased with those I received from Panama Bob.

Hope it all works out for everyone.

Quote Originally Posted by scooter View Post
    For those of us who HAVE dealt with Robert, many times, circumstances with production of the hats and delivery are not totally within his control, but my experience with him ( 7 hats purchased over a year now) has been that he ALWAYS goes beyond the norm in quality /price in his hat dealings. As he has mentioned, he is NOT a full-time hat importer ( he's a school teacher by proffession actually ) and deals with a trade/tradition that is NOT N. American/European in attitude or execution at times. I would NOT (and do not) hesitate to order ANY hat from him knowing full well that what I will recieve will MORE than EXCEED my expectations. JMHO

Onward thru the Fog