Advertisements
Page 13 of 56 FirstFirst ... 3111213141523 ... LastLast

Thread: Panama Bob

Advertisements
    Quote Originally Posted by Delthayre View Post
    All but five states levy a sales tax, which is executed in an annoying manner. Price tags will list only the base price for a good; sales tax is calculated at the point of sale, leaving any customer who wishes to ascertain what he will pay in advance to calculate it for himself. It can be especially frustrating if, as is the case in a few states, there are exceptions or different rates for certain kinds of goods. It's a dumb system and I've never understood why merchants don't list the sales tax on their displayed prices.
    Thanks, that's what I thought but I've only been to the US once unfortunately. I would love to visit more...
    I'm not dressed up. I'm just dressed.

Quote Originally Posted by Delthayre View Post
    All but five states levy a sales tax, which is executed in an annoying manner. Price tags will list only the base price for a good; sales tax is calculated at the point of sale, leaving any customer who wishes to ascertain what he will pay in advance to calculate it for himself. It can be especially frustrating if, as is the case in most states, there are exceptions or different rates for certain kinds of goods or some local governments have the power to levy further sales taxes. It's a dumb system and I've never understood why merchants don't list the sales tax on their displayed prices.
    As he said, it is a "dumb" system and somewhat complicated. Here in Texas, there is a maximum amt. in total for sales tax and the State amt is at present set lower than that max amt to allow local cities to asses an amt. they need which often brings the sales tax amt. up to the State max. The city I live in does that to garner revenue so we pay the max in sales tax here. Also, certain items such as medicines and services are exempt from sales tax at the present. But given the economics we live in, that may change BTW, only firms which have a retail presnce IN Texas may charge sales tax even if they are NOT based in Texas

Onward thru the Fog

What's the VAT percentage markup in England? The VAT seems analogous to the Harmonized Sales Tax in Canada, which is inconsistent depending on province. For example, my province pays a 12% sales tax markup. Easily 30+ dollars on a 300 dollar hat.
    It is the function of a Prince to kill monsters. If the derivative of a Prince is set to zero, the kingdom survives.

Well, it may have appeared that I was questioning Panama Bob's integrity, and I want to publicly assure him that is not the case. I have never dealt with PB, and certainly have no reason to disparage him. From what I read here, the preponderance of his feedback is very good and I will assume that to be the case until it is proven otherwise.
    Bob, please accept my apologies, it was not my intention to slander you.
    Without heroes, we are all plain people, and don't know how far we can go. Bernard Malamud
    Only bikers understand why dogs hang their heads out the window!! Oh yeah, you can call me Rob!!

One of the Regulars
    Quote Originally Posted by scooter View Post
    Well, it may have appeared that I was questioning Panama Bob's integrity, and I want to publicly assure him that is not the case. I have never dealt with PB, and certainly have no reason to disparage him. From what I read here, the preponderance of his feedback is very good and I will assume that to be the case until it is proven otherwise.
    I bet you end up with an ass-kickin' hat!!! I was more than pleased with those I received from Panama Bob.

Hope it all works out for everyone.

Quote Originally Posted by scooter View Post
    For those of us who HAVE dealt with Robert, many times, circumstances with production of the hats and delivery are not totally within his control, but my experience with him ( 7 hats purchased over a year now) has been that he ALWAYS goes beyond the norm in quality /price in his hat dealings. As he has mentioned, he is NOT a full-time hat importer ( he's a school teacher by proffession actually ) and deals with a trade/tradition that is NOT N. American/European in attitude or execution at times. I would NOT (and do not) hesitate to order ANY hat from him knowing full well that what I will recieve will MORE than EXCEED my expectations. JMHO

Onward thru the Fog

Not sure about VAT here is US. When I ordered Akubras (less than $100) from Australia, I have seen $3-$4 charge in my credit card bill. I forget the wording, but it had something to do with import tax.

Practically Family
    PB--hat order on the way!!

My Mail is Forwarded Here
    A tidal wave of support. I am glad to see it. Gee, if I were a hatter, I would now seriously consider sending a fake nasty message about myself to TFL for all the good publicity that follows.

Are you sure you're not in politics Dan??

Cliff
    The weed of crime bears bitter fruit.