Page 3 of 35 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Turquoise/Native American jewelry

Sterling is .925. Coin silver is .900. Native American Jewelry was made using both. Many later pieces (50s and later) are marked sterling.

Banned
    Alan

I thought sterling was .999
    Best regards
    CCJ

So sorry . Just realized that I might have removed my pictures.
    Here its another one of the Squash Blossom Necklace, my wife doesn't care so much for - for your enjoyment:
    Last edited by Spitfire; 10-03-2012 at 04:16 AM.
    "There I stood at the bar, wearing a Mae West, no jacket, and beginning to leak blood from my torn boot. None of the golfers took any notice of me - after all, I wasn't a member!'

I have a couple of pieces left from the days when I used to ride. Lots of the guys and girls wore a lot of sterling and turquoise. I think I still have a silver wedding band inlaid with reversed quoise triangles, and silver money clip with a piece of quiose in it.
    'There is a fine line between art and fondling.'
    - J.H.P.

So after purchasing the hat band posted previously, I've gone a little off the deep end for mid-century Navajo jewelry. This belt buckle dates from the 1940s and is stamped with the hallmark of the Navajo Arts and Crafts Guild. Ambrose Roanhorse (the artist who made the hat band) was the first director of the NACG. It's as big and heavy (about 5 ounces) as it looks.

Stunning buckle!

Here's a simple ring that my mother bought for me 45 years ago when we were on a camping trip near Pala, California. There was a roadside stand in the middle of nowhere, with a Native American artisan selling his work.

Pardon the ancient fingers.

Last edited by randooch; 12-05-2012 at 09:59 PM.
    Randall

Familiar Face
    Those are some beautiful pieces, especially the hat...wow

I've always loved Navajo Turquoise jewelry, and South Western turquoise stuff in general. Do you guys know of good shops?

I am considering buying this one, but I don't know much about turquoise buckles so I've been researching:

Ray Tracey is a family friend and incredibly talented artist/actor. My wife and kids all have pieces of his works. A wonderful person too.
    http://www.traceydesignsinc.com

Quote Originally Posted by countryclubjoe View Post
    Very interesting pieces. Over the years I have seen many pieces of this jewelry. Years back they were very reasonably priced, however I never purchased any, ( wish I had). One thing I noticed about the silver was it was either marked .925 Mexico or .925 Siam Silver.
    I have never seen any pieces made with Sterling Silver or.999
    Anyway great pieces, thanks everyone for sharing.
    Best regards
    CCJ
    .925 is Sterling Silver. The greatest invention of modern alloys is Argentium Sterling Silver that was invented in England in the 90's. It is brighter than gold, platinum, and traditional sterling silver. Most of the copper has been removed and replaced with germanium. Argentium is tarnish resistant, does not turn black when heated with a torch, and does not effect people who are allergic to silver. I am a silversmith and use this higher priced sterling silver in all my creations. The silver content of the Argentium I use is .930. One of my hat chains can be viewed on this page. http://www.thefedoralounge.com/showt...Today/page4887

By the way, that is a magnificant silver hat belt posted by Alan!
    Last edited by howardeye; 12-06-2012 at 10:42 AM.
    Bert
    My hats are like my motorcycles. They get washed when it rains!
    https://www.facebook.com/bert.howard.9

Here is a ring I have been thinking of buying. This guy does great work at a good price. Stones from the #8 mine are highly sought after and very expensive.

http://www.etsy.com/listing/92340628...=usr_faveitems
    Bert
    My hats are like my motorcycles. They get washed when it rains!
    https://www.facebook.com/bert.howard.9