Thread: No more girls and gents?

No more girls and gents?

I see that two large threads have been cleaned out in the aftermath of the crash.
    Maybe it's right trying to keep this lounge as a pure vintage/golden age thing instead of a kind of social / "cyberdatingsite".

And then again: I think it would be nice to have a picture to add with a name. And since not everybody uses pics of themselves as avatars, wouldn't it be nice with a thread with pics of the members???
    I might even be possible to keep it strictly pictures - without comments. Or???
    What do you think?

PS I thought the OB was the place where one was entitled and allowed to "goof" around a bit. But not anymore, it seems.
    "There I stood at the bar, wearing a Mae West, no jacket, and beginning to leak blood from my torn boot. None of the golfers took any notice of me - after all, I wasn't a member!'

I don't mind about the pictures, but it would seem that the definition of this forum is to sit back, relax and talk about the finer things in life which, in my opinion doesn't mean strictly vintage.

I'd personally like to have the new rules for the observation bar clarified. Perhaps changing the description on the front page?

"A List" Customer
    Yes, I think I get the idea. But I'd appreciate knowing exactly what I can and can't post. Having your thread shut wouldn't be fun and it would, of course, be more work for the bartenders.

Quote Originally Posted by Spitfire
    I see that two large threads have been cleaned out in the aftermath of the crash.
    Maybe it's right trying to keep this lounge as a pure vintage/golden age thing instead of a kind of social / "cyberdatingsite".

And then again: I think it would be nice to have a picture to add with a name. And since not everybody uses pics of themselves as avatars, wouldn't it be nice with a thread with pics of the members???
    I might even be possible to keep it strictly pictures - without comments. Or???
    What do you think?

PS I thought the OB was the place where one was entitled and allowed to "goof" around a bit. But not anymore, it seems.
    I agree Spitfire - and is the goofy picture thread gone too?

some further clarification is needed, please.
    Darhling - Life, the Darhling way!
    Darhlingphotography - Pictures, the Darhling way!

Every flick of the wrist, every swing of the hips - yeah its all for you

My Mail is Forwarded Here Miss 1929's Avatar
    Did it get lost in the crash this week, which was three days long?

Some got lost, but some were deleted.

My Mail is Forwarded Here Miss 1929's Avatar
    Ooh wee...

Maybe they are too big, there sure were a lot of tasty photos there.

I am trying to err on the side of caution and assume all is accidental until proven deliberate...

I'd always been under the same impression as Spitfire as to the rules in the Observation Bar. It seems that there have been numerous threads since I've been on the Lounge that would not pass the rules of the Lounge if we were always and only "strictly vintage".

Do we know for a fact the few threads under discussion were deleted, and not just lost? And if they were deleted, do we know for a fact they were due to the fact their topics were less than "vintage"? Perhaps the bartenders and perfectly fine with having threads such as that one in The OB, under the normal rules of language and appropriate content for all ages.

Maybe its time to start some of the threads over again and start fresh? Assuming that is alright of course.
    “Something doesn’t ring up right, but for two-hundred fish and expenses I’d play footsies with a cobra.” Richard Diamond

Well, friends, here's the deal.

The rules as such are what they've always been. For years, the OB went along as a mostly vintage-themed catch-all discussion area.

Around a year ago, much of that went off track. It deteriorated into something more appropriate to a personal blog site or social networking site. This will not continue.

The Lounge is not and never will be a meat market. I think we all prefer it this way. What it will be, and always has been, is the web's number one vintage resource. The only way to keep it strong and keep it moving is to keep a narrow focus. Your friendly neighborhood bartenders will keep this focus. Threads more appropriate for blogs and social networking will be "discouraged."

As for the crash; the crash was catastrophic, and you have no idea (or perhaps you do) how difficult it is to bring back such a huge database. Some threads were lost, most were found, some were damaged, some were resurrected and some could not be. Rather than dwelling too long on it, we viewed it as a fresh start, a refocusing of our mission.

As for thread to find out what folks look like, well, they will be directed to already existing threads, such as the "What Are You Wearing?" thread, or you'll get to see what someone looks like when they start a thread showing off some vintage treasure they've found, a vintage place they have discovered, or when they attend one of our many official and unofficial vintage events.

Thanks.