Advertisements

Thread: 50s and 60s B-Movies

50s and 60s B-Movies

Advertisements
    i am interested to watch a lot of the old 50s and 60s B-movies, like "Hot Rod Girl" and all the other hot rod movies, the beat movies, etc. A lot of them were teen exploitation films about kids caught up in the "wrong crowd." There are a few sites that have DVDs available for purchase, but I would prefer to rent these films and/or watch them online, rather than spending money for a lot of DVDs on films I may not like. I checked my county library system, but they do not have them.

Does anyone know where I can find these films?

Thanks!

Familiar Face
    netflix.com has a lot of 1950s rock n roll and "juvenile delinquent" movies in their selection. I'm not sure if the blockbuster version of online renting has a good selection of these sorts of movies, but netflix sure does... I've rented a ton of 'em through there.

Blockbuster does have a good selection, too. Not as big as Netflix's but pretty decent, and Blockbuster online has a lot more movies than any brick-and-mortar store I've seen.

Oddly enough, TCM will show a lot of 50s rock 'n' roll and delinquent movies. A month or so ago they showed "High School Confidential" and "Bop Girl" and similar films.
    Stacia

One of the Regulars imported_the_librarian's Avatar
    Do you remember the matinee at the bijou? it was a PBS series that ran, at least for my area, on Saturday nights and had a couple of shorts and then a newsreel plus a main movie?

Well, they are on YouTube and have been posting a LOT of stuff. You might try them....here's the link:

http://www.youtube.com/user/MatineeattheBijou40

Of course, there is always the Internet Archive. They have got the open-source movies there that are really cool. I won't post the link, but if you use the google you can find them. Anyway, some of the movies they have include:

Night of the Living Dead
    Bride of the Gorilla
    He Walked By Night
    Shadow of a Doubt
    His Girl Friday

You might also consider hulu.com, but that's mostly TV shows (full episodes 60's-70's-80's...but they have some classic movies thrown in also.

(must stop watching the A-Team....must stop....)
    Like cool vintage and history stuff?

Me too! Check below for cool topics!

http://history.writingwithtony.com/

"A List" Customer
    I mentioned in an earlier post check out www.somethingweird.com. It is mostly exploitation movies from the 50s and 60s. They also have "Scare" flicks made for the military.