Page 13 of 15 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 LastLast

Thread: Golden-Era Hot-Rodding

I'll keep you posted, but as you guessed, it's slow when you're being a purist. Plus I've got a couple newer oldies that have to share the parts budget.

-Dave

Some Golden Era rodding thoughts on a rainy morning.

This ‘26-‘27 Ford speedster was posted on the HAMB recently and it’s of particular interest to my Chevy-powered project as it uses the 19-inch Chevy wheels I intend for my own. The owner even gave me a rundown on how he adapted the Chevy wheels to the Ford axles and offered to sell me an extra set.

The photo confirms that the 19-inch diameter is spot on for the proportions of a lowered T.

Next up is a gorgeous ‘32 Ford roadster that, aside from the 1940-style disc wheels, is straight out of a 1940-set detective story I started writing back in college.

I don’t know the particulars on this car, but the car in the story had a ‘39 Mercury V8, ‘39 Lincoln overdrive gearbox, reversed-eye springs, and MoPar hydraulic brakes.

This treatment applied to any ‘29-‘34 Ford would be a great one. Add ‘35 Ford wire-spoke wheels (a popular replacement after 16-inch tires became the standard), and it’s firmly in the 1940s style.

It pains me I’ll probably never own a Deuce roadster.
    Last edited by David Conwill; 05-01-2012 at 01:28 PM. Reason: Removing factual error
    All hat, no Packard.

Have any of you seen the movie Wings, academy award winner from 1927. if not check out this sequence and see how they did it back then.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hMFamW_3dVc
    "The worst of all fears is the fear of living." T.R.
    "Life is conflict, survival and conquest."
    Col. John Boyd

Quote Originally Posted by Stearmen View Post
    The real start of Hot Rods! My great uncles stripped down Model T. Just shows you, that even then a cool car would get you the Babes!
    I really like the Cut Downs. Thought I would repost the photo of my Great Uncles Cut Down. When I buy my next house I want to build one. I am driving my realtor crazy trying to find the right old house with either a big garage or enough land to build one!

Quote Originally Posted by WH1 View Post
    Have any of you seen the movie Wings, academy award winner from 1927. if not check out this sequence and see how they did it back then.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hMFamW_3dVc
    Well, he's a bit self absorbed! How do you do that to Clara Bow?? Cool car, though. I wouldn't mind integrating that shooting-star graphic into my T.
    All hat, no Packard.

Check out the film Best years of our lives'. Almost at the beginning, the three returning GI's jump in a taxi and a hot rod roadster flashes by as they chat about how the country(USA) has changed during the war.

Quote Originally Posted by David Conwill View Post
    aside from the postwar Mercury hubcaps
    Teach me to post from a phone. Those are obviously FORD hubcaps. Turns out they're also pre-war (1941).

Spoke wheels would still be more period, of course.
    All hat, no Packard.

Here's a '30-'31 Deluxe "A" done in a similar style to the Deuce above:

A's of this vintage seem far more attainable.

Yes the As are more attainable and JUST as cool, that one above is very correct, is it banger powered ? An update - the Deuce Roadster arrived last week....just in time for the Aussie Winter bbrrrr......haha.

All is good and she's a real peach; I will be ironing out a few little things; the 37 21 stud will need some fine tuning as will some odds and ends like brake adjustment, underside clearances etc, before she's ready for the Spring and some mondo cruising with the boys.

Here's a pic of her in the garage, I'm stoked and it's the realisation of a lifelong dream to own a pre WWII dry lakes styled roadster...... Im still pinching myself !! :

HOP UP
    Last edited by HOP UP; 05-13-2012 at 07:19 AM.

Neato gow job. Hope to see it around the streets of Melb.

If you see a 54 Chev H/T with pitted chrome and chalky earl schieb paint say g'day.