Advertisements
Page 1 of 367 1231151101 ... LastLast

Thread: Akubra Campdraft

"A List" Customer

Campdraft ribbon

Advertisements
    Just curious,

Has anyone ever put a wide fedora ribbon on an Akubra Campdraft, say 1 1/2 to 2 inches or so? I understand that a lot of folks prefer the open road look with the thin ribbon, but I'm wondering if anyone has ever "fedorized" a Campdraft with a thicker ribbon.
    Anyone? How about some pics?

On a side note, I have been away for awhile, and frankly I never felt I could offer much more than my questions, compliments and observations. I was never the type of lounger who could consistantly show new purchases, as I have a decent wardrobe but the stuff I was excited about had to be put on hold for about a year. That was due to some major upheaval in my life, family losses, a job change, a drawn out move, that sort of thing.
    Real change of scenery stuff.
    Luckily, things have stabilized, I've settled into a semi-sane schedule and hopefully I can be more than just a sometime comment from the sidelines. It was nice to remember the Lounge and pop in, only to see how it's grown. Lotta new faces around here, so if you don't know me, don't feel obliged to type out 'Spatterdash' if you wanna say hi...

Just call me Spats.

Anyway... Campdrafts with new ribbons, what's the score?

glad to know ya!

Just call me pgoat, the mangy cur!

I am in the process of ordering a CD from everything australian and they are inquiring about Akubra doing the wide ribbon for me from the factory. I'm looking to do a Taupe Fawn, bashed like RBH's but with a 2" Black grosgrain.

No word back yet if they can do it but I was already told they'll do up a Long oval for me, which is great. If they won't do the wide ribbon I plan to try it with the stock thin ribbon for a while (It does look awfully good in a lot of pics posted by wearers here) and if it just doesn't make it on me, I'll have it done over by someone eventually.

My Mail is Forwarded Here Doctor Strange's Avatar
    Rather than getting a specially modified Campdraft, why not just get a Squatter instead? It's also an open-crown hat and has nearly the same specs (okay, so it's got a 76x73mm dimensional brim vs. 73mm all around), but it comes with a wider ribbon. Plus, it's the Superfine felt, not the Imperial.

Hmm....is the crown height the same?

can anyone tell me if the Imperial is thicker or thinner than the Super fine? Any other differences? I prefer denser felt.

I've never tried a dimensional brim.....I was looking at some of Art Fawcett's and thinking about it.

I am assuming this is to get fuller coverage over the eyes without looking too "flying nun" on the sides. yes?

My Mail is Forwarded Here Doctor Strange's Avatar
    I think the Imperial felt is thicker - why else would they call the better grade "Superfine"? And I believe the crown height is approximately the same.

I own a couple of dimensional brims - a Stetson Temple and an Akubra Federation. Unless you have such a hat hanging right next to one with a standard circular brim, you'd never really notice the difference. But the dimensional brim provides a little more dramatic "brim swoop" when worn.

Dimensional brims are nice, I think you will like the look it gives a hat.
    As to the thin ribbon, I do hope you get a Campdraft, the thin ribbon has such a classic look to it. The way Stratoliners and Open Roads are going on eBay, the price of a Campdraft is not that great. Plus you get the benifit of a nice high crown that can take most any type crease.
    RBH

__________________________________________________ _____________________________
    ''We're gonna stick together, just like it used to be!
    When you side with a man, you stay with him!
    And if you can't do that, you're like some animal, you're finished!''
    *Pike Bishop- 1913*

"A List" Customer
    Ah, but the Bushman has too wide a brim for my tastes, and the Squatter?

Squatter's crown is just a little too short for me.

The Campdraft solves a lot of my particular issues. It has;
    1) a decent brim width without being too large,
    2) a nice, high, straight-sided crown,
    3) and a bound edge, which is a nice, classy touch Federations don't have.
    I know many like the thin ribbon, but the Campdraft is potentially a great depression-era fedora if wrapped with a wider ribbon. It makes for a quality Open Road or Stratoliner, but I think it would also be a great fedora.
    That's why I chose the Campdraft as a potential model for a fedora ribbon, and I was curious if anyone had done what I'm thinking of doing.

Quote Originally Posted by RBH
    Dimensional brims are nice, I think you will like the look it gives a hat.
    As to the thin ribbon, I do hope you get a Campdraft, the thin ribbon has such a classic look to it. The way Stratoliners and Open Roads are going on eBay, the price of a Campdraft is not that great. Plus you get the benifit of a nice high crown that can take most any type crease.
    I'm still leaning towards the CD.

Cool new avatar - is that Gregory Peck?

Quote Originally Posted by Spatterdash
    I know many like the thin ribbon, but the Campdraft is potentially a great depression-era fedora if wrapped with a wider ribbon.
    I think a ribbon in the neighborhood of 1" looks killer on an OR-style lid. I'm not sure I'd go wider than 1.5", just to keep things in balance with the narrower edge binding. You can find plenty of examples of this kind of approach on vintage Stetsons. So, the idea of doing it with the Campdraft makes sense to me!

Cheers,
    JtL

Quote Originally Posted by jimmy the lid
    I think a ribbon in the neighborhood of 1" looks killer on an OR-style lid. I'm not sure I'd go wider than 1.5", just to keep things in balance with the narrower edge binding. You can find plenty of examples of this kind of approach on vintage Stetsons. So, the idea of doing it with the Campdraft makes sense to me!

Cheers,
    JtL

Interesting, Jimmy. I'd have thought either 2" or a thin ribbon was the way to go. Do you have any pics of the 1.5" to post? You've piqued my curiosty.....