Thread: Replacement sweatbands

New In Town

Replacement sweatbands

I have a couple inexpensive wool felt hats that are lined and have those "fake leather" sweatbands in them that are actually made of cardboard or paper and then finished to look like leather... which makes them akin to wearing Saran Wrap around your head from a breathability standpoint.

Since they're inexpensive hats, I don't really want to spend $20 (or thereabouts) to have a hat shop put a real leather band in, but I'd like to replace the current sweatband with something else... cloth or leather, doesn't matter.

Any ideas about where to get a replacement band (and possibly how to go about the actual process of replacement) or how to modify the existing one to make it a bit more comfortable?

(I have a couple other fur felt hats that have that kind of sweatband, too, and they're getting sent out to Optimo this week for a bit of servicing, including sweatband replacement. Those paper sweatbands should be illegal! )

Call Me a Cab

Sweat bands

Good roan leather sweats.

You can order one or a hundred.

They are called Fern/Thatcher Co Inc. I-816-238-8720 Ask for Wanda. The 1 5/8 reeded Antique smooth is the way to go.

Cost $2.82 each.

Sharpey
    Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please.
    Mark Twain

Suspended
    Hi SHARPETOYS, what does the term Roan mean? I have heard it used quite a bit.

Cheers

Scott
    [COLOR="Red"]I think I'm smart enough to fool people into thinking I am someone else, but I'm not. I will never learn. [/COLOR]

Call Me a Cab

Roan Leather

Roan - a soft sheepskin leather.
    Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please.
    Mark Twain

Suspended
    Thank you SHARPTOYES, I have several hats with quite soft leather sweat bands but was unaware that it was roan.

Cheers

Scott
    [COLOR="Red"]I think I'm smart enough to fool people into thinking I am someone else, but I'm not. I will never learn. [/COLOR]

Nice to see you again

You've been conspicuously absent, Sharpy, nice to have you around.

A sense of the fundamental decencies is parcelled out unequally at birth. - Fitzgerald

Stetson Refurbishing?

I have a thirty year old Stetson Dune I purchased new. It is overdue for a new band and liner and I would appreciate recommendations of a hatter who can restore it. Any ideas?

Thanks, in advance.
    Best to all,
    C1
    Make mine a double.

Where in Texas are you? If you are close by and want to drop it off, Paris Hatters in San Antonio will put a new one in for about $25.00. If you are not near San Antonio and don't mind shipping it, most of the custom hatters on the lounge will install one for you. They will do a much better job too.
    Mike

Quote Originally Posted by Cool1 View Post
    I have a thirty year old Stetson Dune I purchased new. It is overdue for a new band and liner and I would appreciate recommendations of a hatter who can restore it. Any ideas?

Thanks, in advance.
    Catalena Hatters have done a couple for me over the years. http://catalenahats.com/FeltHatRestoration
    I didn't realize the Dune came out in 1984...
    Deputy Swoopy, Crease Police - Mounted Division, Fedora Bureau of Investigation - Icon Defender
    Hard to be an outlaw when you're not wanted any more!
    WAR = What is it good for?