Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: The English Patient-

New In Town
    Boy, am I glad I found this place.
    BellyTank I know exactly what you're talking about!
    I spent about 3 years a while ago ob-sessed with that whole 1920-1950 colonial and post-colonial sub- and equatorial khaki/canvas/brown leather vibe...not just in clothing, but general design and style ethics as well...EP was a rich source for that, and check out any of the old advertising materials for Pan Am airlines (All about the flying boats!!!)...
    Of course, actually living in Asia helps to float the vibe.
    A pretty cool source for some of this type of gear was the deeply missed Willis & Geiger catalogue...one of their last catalogues (print only! no website! orders by fax or mail only) actually even had that fantastic old painting of the Pan Am China Clipper landing in Hong Kong harbour.
    W&G absolutely had the Ghurka-waist utility pants, and lots of other similar suberbly made garments.
    And now they're gone, what a shame.
    Class and style are different...a chili dog, it's got no class, but loads of style...
    -DL Roth

Scandinavia- location, location, location
    Greetings El Jefe-

I've seen W&G, Lands End and Orvis, etc. and never really thought too much of their gear and the styling. Nowadays good gear can be had from Military Reenactor suppliers if you can't get the genuine vintage article. 'Old Town Clothing' in the UK- the link in the post #21 above- make some really nice vintage style menswear- limited range though but I really like their styling.

B
    T
    Looking with my good ear peeled.

Still like to find these

Just like 'em. Not the buckley ones.

A sense of the fundamental decencies is parcelled out unequally at birth. - Fitzgerald

Scandinavia- location, location, location
    They look very much like the Australian WW2 variant of the British/Commonwealth tropical trousers. Extended waist-bearer with brace buttons. See the small field dressing pocket? Not sure if these trou' were correct for the year.
    Many variations were to be had- RAF, RN and of course, Souk-tailored for Officers, in-country.

B
    T
    Looking with my good ear peeled.

I just made a pair of pants based in part on the ones posted above:

They've got a great military, but not "too" military look, in my opinion. Let me know what you think. Here's the link to my site with some bigger pictures:

https://host385.ipowerweb.com/~indyp...products_id=81

Kind regards,
    Magnoli

One Too Many
    Quote Originally Posted by Indy Magnoli
    I just made a pair of pants based in part on the ones posted above... Let me know what you think.
    Well, I like 'em.
    One does not hit the mot juste with a shotgun, but rather with a rapier.

Swell job, Magnoli! Those pants are beautiful.

My Mail is Forwarded Here DanielJones's Avatar
    Those look great Magnoli! Good job.

Cheers!

Dan
    "If you believe everything you read, better not read." - Japanese Proverb

Excellent trousers, Magnoli. I really like the back. Leaving off the the small back pleats and adding two flapped pockets was an great idea.

A couple of questions, though. The pocket on the right front was meant for the First Field Dressing (emergency bandage) that each soldier was required to carry, and I've never been able to find another use for the thing. To really "de-militarize" them, can I have it deleted?

Also, can it be made in a lighter weight of cotton, say 6 or 8 oz? Even the 10 oz twill sounds too heavy for me to get much use in the climates where I live and travel.

Cheers!

Put your cell phone in it, Baggers!

Incidently, for some reason I can't see Magnoli's site here at work. I'm sure it's soemthing to do with gov't paranoia. Could someone post the pics for me? I'm anxious to see these!

Thanks!
    "Disinterested intellectual curiosity is the life blood of real civilization."
    --G. M. Trevelyan