Advertisements
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Allen Edmond Recrafting

Hybrid View

Vancouver (not B.C), Washington (not D.C.)

Allen Edmond Recrafting

I wore a hole in the sole of my oldest Allen Edmond shoes. This pair is the best fitting pair of shoes I own. I have read about A&Es recrating service over at Ask Andy. Guys seem to be happy with the work. They resole and reheel the shoes. The cost is about $100, but they cover shipping both ways. Since the shoes retail for close to $300 and that they are my best fitting pair, I gave it a shot.

The shoes returned almost look like a new pair. I am very happy with the work. You can get A&Es on e-bay for around $150 if you keep an eye out, so I wouldn't spring for every every pair that wears out, but for the ones that suit me very well I will probably go this route again.

I will try and post a photo soon.
    All it takes for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke

Alden recraft

My Alden recrafted shoes should be arriving any day now. Shoes cost $35 on the bay, and fit great. Will post photos when they arrive.
    "Diagonally parked in a parallel universe"

Quote Originally Posted by MK
    I wore a hole in the sole of my oldest Allen Edmond shoes. This pair is the best fitting pair of shoes I own. I have read about A&Es recrating service over at Ask Andy. Guys seem to be happy with the work. They resole and reheel the shoes. The cost is about $100, but they cover shipping both ways. Since the shoes retail for close to $300 and that they are my best fitting pair, I gave it a shot.

The shoes returned almost look like a new pair. I am very happy with the work. You can get A&Es on e-bay for around $150 if you keep an eye out, so I wouldn't spring for every every pair that wears out, but for the ones that suit me very well I will probably go this route again.

I will try and post a photo soon.
    When I sell good AEs on ebay, they fetch about fifty bucks if they are in almost new condition. I would go for used if I could find them. But if you have a well loved pair, then a hundred isn't bad. I have seen their work and it is quite excellent.

I am wondering though, do they redo the whole sole, as in, will the bottom be smooth and fresh, or will it remain shaped to the wearers foot? Not good if you are buying used.

The $100 option MK refers to removes the sole and cork from the shoe then stretches the upper over a last and cleans it up (very nicely, I might add). They add new cork and soles/heels after. The insole is left as-is (as far as I can tell) and the whole thing is sent back in surprisingly good condition.

I like the service.

AlanC had a pair of loafers restored with excellent results.
    http://207.218.231.242/~thefedor/showthread.php?t=34187

Incurably Addicted
    Quote Originally Posted by anon`
    The insole is left as-is
    I don't get that. All the recrafting services that I've used (Alden, Mephisto, Edward Green and J.M. Weston) have replaced the insole. How much more can it cost?

New In Town
    I also just had the premium refurbishment on some AE's just 2 weeks ago and they did a fantastic job. I bought the shoes at a consignment shop owned by a friend of ours for $8.00. They had a hole in the sole of one of the shoes. I spent the $120.00 for the refurbishment and that included shoe trees and flannel shoe bags. Like you said, they replaced the heel, sole and cork inner sole and refinished the shoe and received it within 2 weeks of sending them off. Great deal for consignment shoes!

Quote Originally Posted by Tomasso
    I don't get that. All the recrafting services that I've used (Alden, Mephisto, Edward Green and J.M. Weston) have replaced the insole.
    That wouldn't make sence to do that. That means a complete rebuild. The factories would most likely just stitch another outsole on, even a slip sole if neccessary. Replacing the insole wouldn't be neccessary for many recrafts.

How much more can it cost?
    lt's more work, especially if the slip sole needs replacement, of course it will cost more.

Incurably Addicted
    Quote Originally Posted by The Shooman
    That wouldn't make sence to do that. That means a complete rebuild.
    I misspoke;I meant to say the sock (liner) rather than the insole.

My Mail is Forwarded Here buler's Avatar

Allen Edmonds Recrafting - Sale

Just go to their main website www.allenedmonds.com for $10 off their standard recrafting package and $20 off prestige package. Sale is on thru March 29th.

I'm a big fan of their shoes and have had several recrafted. Well worth the money.

B