Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Hats on TV

Quote Originally Posted by RBH View Post
    James Spader wears some cool hats on NBCs Blacklist...I wonder where is the hat store that was on tonights episode [10.07.201]
    I didn't see the episode, but it may not have actually been a hat shop. It's common practice for television and movie productions to find a location that suits their needs, then alter it's appearance (sometimes drastically) so that it represents the business/house/whatever in the story.

Years ago I watched a crew spend the better part of a day converting a local laundry into a diner by attaching false walls (known as a "facade") and false signage to the building. Quite by accident, a few months later I watched the show they had done this for--all of that work was done for a three-second *establishing shot for a situation comedy on ABC. It seems to me they could just as easily have found an actual diner and simply changed the signage, but I don't work in the industry so I'm completely unfamiliar with their reasoning for doing this.

*Establishing shot: Establishes the context for a scene by showing the relationship between its important figures and objects. It is generally a long- or extreme-long shot at the beginning of a scene indicating where, and sometimes when, the remainder of the scene takes place. In this instance, it was used to inform the audience that the characters in the following scene were at the diner.
    a.k.a. Al (or Alex, or Alexander if you're not into the whole brevity thing)

I'll tell you all my secrets, but I'll lie about my past...

Hell on wheels, Boardwalk empire & I would agree also with The Bridge all great shows for hat viewing.

Quote Originally Posted by Zombie_61 View Post
    I didn't see the episode, but it may not have actually been a hat shop. It's common practice for television and movie productions to find a location that suits their needs, then alter it's appearance (sometimes drastically) so that it represents the business/house/whatever in the story.

Years ago I watched a crew spend the better part of a day converting a local laundry into a diner by attaching false walls (known as a "facade") and false signage to the building. Quite by accident, a few months later I watched the show they had done this for--all of that work was done for a three-second *establishing shot for a situation comedy on ABC. It seems to me they could just as easily have found an actual diner and simply changed the signage, but I don't work in the industry so I'm completely unfamiliar with their reasoning for doing this.

*Establishing shot: Establishes the context for a scene by showing the relationship between its important figures and objects. It is generally a long- or extreme-long shot at the beginning of a scene indicating where, and sometimes when, the remainder of the scene takes place. In this instance, it was used to inform the audience that the characters in the following scene were at the diner.

Here are a couple of screenshots from last nights Blacklist.
    They spent a little time in the shop and Red ended up tell Rodrick [the man behind the counter] he wanted two hats.

RBH

__________________________________________________ _____________________________
    ''We're gonna stick together, just like it used to be!
    When you side with a man, you stay with him!
    And if you can't do that, you're like some animal, you're finished!''
    *Pike Bishop- 1913*

I believe its JJ hat Center in Washington.
    RBH

__________________________________________________ _____________________________
    *Pike Bishop- 1913*

One Too Many
    Whereabouts in Washington, Rusty? I couldn't find much beyond an 800 number for that store.

I also saw that scene last night, and of course, they got my attention. Best part of the sequence was the ending line to Roderick... "I'll take BOTH!"

Again, my wife was complacent at most, but at least saw the affliction in effect on a character she favors, taking the focus OFF me for a moment. A GREAT moment in television!

J.J. Hat Center appears to be a strong possibility, but The Blacklist is filmed in New York, not Washington D.C. (except for the aforementioned establishing shots). Even the opening scenes in the most recent episode "Wujing" were shot with New York standing in for Shanghai; to the average viewer, one city looks pretty much like any other. Location scouts find a street in New York that looks like it could be in Asia, change a few signs if necessary, add some computer generated buildings in the background, and Bob's your uncle. I hope I'm not ruining the "magic of Hollywood" for anyone, but Hollywood is all about illusion.

By the way, I watched the first three episodes on Hulu.
    Last edited by Zombie_61; 10-08-2013 at 03:10 PM.
    a.k.a. Al (or Alex, or Alexander if you're not into the whole brevity thing)

I'll tell you all my secrets, but I'll lie about my past...

New In Town
    That is indeed JJ Hat Center, which is located in New York. The store's Twitter account confirms the appearance.

Quote Originally Posted by bartcubb View Post
    That is indeed JJ Hat Center, which is located in New York. The store's Twitter account confirms the appearance.
    SWEET!! When I Googled Washington hat shop Roderick .... JJ Hat Center came up.
    I just had the Washington part wrong.
    RBH

*Pike Bishop- 1913*

Hat retail shop in "The Blacklist"

A friend asked me if I knew the location of the hat retail shop shown in the most recent episode of a TV show called "The Blacklist."

So I found the show on the on-demand menu and was pleased that the hat shop scene occurred only seven minutes into the show. (From what little of it I saw, it appears to be another of those highly implausible, tremendously violent stories we just can't get enough of.)

The shop itself seemed quite nice. And I believe it is indeed a hat shop, and not a set. But I haven't a clue where it might be.

Anyone here know where it is?

EDIT: So I see. Thanks for the move.
    Last edited by tonyb; 10-09-2013 at 03:35 PM.

Deputy Swoopy, Crease Police - Mounted Division, Fedora Bureau of Investigation - Icon Defender
    Hard to be an outlaw when you're not wanted any more!
    WAR = What is it good for?