Advertisements
Page 45 of 117 FirstFirst ... 3543444546475595 ... LastLast

Thread: Gentlemen, show us what you've made!

Advertisements
    Quote Originally Posted by Mario View Post
    Did you have any existing patterns for jackets with shoulder gussets/bi-swing back? I think it's a rather elaborate construction.
    yes, i did make a bi-swing pattern (for the previous jacket) based on the one on this jacket:

however, it's simpler than you might think as it still follows the basic silhouette of a plain back, just adds a sort of accordion-like 'hinge'.
    there's an even simpler way of doing it with just one piece if you want, which is what this Palm Beach jacket has:

Did you take any photos of your jacket while you were working on it? I never had the chance yet to take a close look at the inner workings of a bi-swing back. The only one I have is fully lined and I certainly wouldn't want to take out the lining just to look at the construction.

Pretend that you owe me nothing and all the world is green.

Quote Originally Posted by Mario View Post
    Did you take any photos of your jacket while you were working on it? I never had the chance yet to take a close look at the inner workings of a bi-swing back.
    no i didn't, but that jacket is unlined so i can take a photo of the workings.

Fantastic idea!

Nick and Qirrel, do you think it's time to start a separate thread for tailoring techniques / construction where we could talk about the finer details rather than going into it on this one ?
    ...as it may get way off track from 'what we've made'. you could put a photo up of any garment and detail (not just your own) to discuss the way it was made.
    Last edited by herringbonekid; 04-18-2012 at 06:48 AM.

^ I agree.

Here is the workings of a shoulder pleated coat, Mario. Look at drawing to the right in the diagram. When the cloth is folded along the dotted line, the pleat is formed, and the jacket can be sewn up as usual.

Yes, I agree also. It would help to be able to discuss some of these details in preparation for future projects, too.
    Monocle: This may be worn by (1) good dukes, (2) all Englishmen. No bad man may wear a monocle. ~P. G. Wodehouse

ok. i'll start if off now !

done:

http://www.thefedoralounge.com/showt...iloring-Thread
    Last edited by herringbonekid; 04-18-2012 at 07:36 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by herringbonekid View Post
    Nick and Qirrel, do you think it's time to start a separate thread for tailoring techniques / construction where we could talk about the finer details rather than going into it on this one ?
    ...as it may get way off track from 'what we've made'. you could put a photo up of any garment and detail (not just your own) to discuss the way it was made.
    That's a wondeful idea!

One of the Regulars Swing Motorman's Avatar

Toronto Transit Commission repro uniform

I did it again, and put together a "close enough for volunteer work" public transit uniform. This time, I went for modern-day Toronto, Canada. They've got a flashy cap badge, and my, they do love their little red accents.

The whole thing, as best I could research it:

The stars of the show: a new name badge, and a new band and cap badge:

How it works: Those holes in the name plate are to allow me to pin other job names overtop of the standard "operator" text. Also, I've done a bunch of cap badges with this standard paperclip-tab-soldered-to-safety-pin attachment. With the clip tab through a grommet on the cap, it all stays in place very well.

Now I just need to get to one of the many museums that own retired TTC streetcars! And finish my next project: Connestoga Traction Co, of Lancaster County, PA.

-Steven
    ♪ ♪♪♪ ♪♪♪ ♪
    T'aint what'cha do, it's the way that'cha do it;
    T'aint what'cha do, it's the time that'cha do it;
    T'aint what'cha do, it's the place that'cha do it;
    That's what gets results!

Just a jazzy streetcar operator lost in the past