Page 39 of 84 FirstFirst ... 29373839404149 ... LastLast

Thread: BUCKAROO BONANZA! - The Hats that Major Mike Moore Makes

Awesome hat

Hi

I finally got a new computer and am able to post pictures. I ordered this hat from Mike Moore in the early summer and wore it a lot during the summer and fall. It's a 100% bunny fur felt hat. The felt is of cowboy hat thickness. I like it a lot and wear it quite a bit even in the winter, although it is a little bright.

The hat is shaped like the 1898 Spanish American War hat. Mike Moore suggested the copper colored ribbon, which sets off the bone colored hat really well. This was originally intended as a beater, but it looks way too good for that. Check Spanish American war books and you'll see this hat shape with the same ribbon. This hat has a 3 inch brim, and a 5.75 inch open crown. The crease is copied from one of the hats from the Rough-rider movie starring Tom Berenger as Teddy Roosevelt, Sam Elliot, Brian Keith and the Gunny.

Later
    Last edited by 1961MJS; 01-08-2012 at 06:05 PM. Reason: crease info
    Mike

Groucho Marx said it best:
    “Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it everywhere, diagnosing it incorrectly and applying all the wrong remedies.”

Wow, really nice and that bow is sweet!
    RBH

__________________________________________________ _____________________________
    ''We're gonna stick together, just like it used to be!
    When you side with a man, you stay with him!
    And if you can't do that, you're like some animal, you're finished!''
    *Pike Bishop- 1913*

My Mail is Forwarded Here
    That is beautiful! Thanks for taking the time to post! How wide is that brim? I'd like to compare dimensions with my wide brimmed Gus.
    "I have recently acquired a new hat of such ferocity that it has been running my whole life for me. I wake up in the morning thinking, 'Who shall I wear my hat at today?'"
    --Katherine Whitehorn

Quote Originally Posted by bowlerman View Post
    That is beautiful! Thanks for taking the time to post! How wide is that brim? I'd like to compare dimensions with my wide brimmed Gus.
    3 inch brim, 5.75 inch open crown, I think the ribbon is an inch. The model(s) for the hat are in the Campaign hats section I originally was going to get a double layer of felt behind a couple of grommets for a stampede string, but since the hat was dressier than originally planned I didn't do that. Mike Moore took a LOT of extra time and effort to get what I was after, and I really enjoy the hat.

Later
    Mike

“Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it everywhere, diagnosing it incorrectly and applying all the wrong remedies.”

My Mail is Forwarded Here Neophyte's Avatar
    The hat looks great, congratulations! I always enjoy seeing the Major's work, and that copper/bone combo is a winner .
    ---Alexander

Very nice, "61. Will you post a head shot? I'm thinking that would look really sharp. I like it.
    Secret Hat Society, Founding Member (2009)

Quote Originally Posted by BobC View Post
    Very nice, "61. Will you post a head shot? I'm thinking that would look really sharp. I like it.
    HI Bob

I'll get it as soon as I can. My capability holding the camera myself isn't too great. I like the way the hat looks, but my 24 year old son doesn't like it for some reason. I was in Central Illinois over Xmas, but didn't get out much. I DID make it to the Caddyshack in exciting Farmersville IL for their half Fried chicken ($7.00).

I got the idea for the crease for the crown, not the brim here:

http://i112.photobucket.com/albums/n...0523222431.jpg

Later
    Last edited by 1961MJS; 01-08-2012 at 09:57 PM.
    Mike

Great looking hat, MJ!
    You can have my girl, but don't touch my hat!

Lyle Lovett

I am definitely impressed with the color combination! Nice hat.
    John Barrow - busted for dog whisperin'