I FINALLY managed to finish my knitted Riding Shirt from the August 1935 Stitchcraft that I started at the end of this August. Really, I suppose I have done quite well to finish it in this time frame. It has been fiddly with lots of sewing up, although it looks quite plain. It is knitted in modern 4 ply but the original used 2 ply 'Scotch Fingering'. I didn't even need to change the needle size for the tension.
"This shirt combines a perfectly tailored apperance with the unrestricted comfort that is only to be had from the 'give' of knitted things. The back inverted pleat is set into a ribbed yoke; the sleeves finish in linked cuffs; in front there is a buttoned placket, and the collar, shaped to take a tie, fastens with a stud.
If you will be wearing this shirt under a coat, or for golf, you may prefer short sleeves; instructions for these are therefore included"
I tried to crop the picture above but it was pixelating like mad, so I left it with some of the instructions visable.
Here's my version with short sleeves. I wanted to make long sleeves but didn't have enough yarn as I bought it years ago:
With tie - as recommended in the pattern
Detail of the collar closed with a stud
I made this to wear with my vintage riding gear (no, I'm not a rider!), so when I have a picture of the full get-up, I'll have to post it.