Page 3 of 58 FirstFirst 123451353 ... LastLast

Thread: Show us your vintage knitting and crochet!

Quote Originally Posted by Elizabeth.F
    I'm currently knitting a sweater from 1914 (not golden era I know) and yesterday I finished a pair of golf stockings from 1915 (still not golden era!) But my next project will be the Three Hour Sweater from the 1930s:
    http://www.lrvictor.bravepages.com/Free/3-HOUR.htm
    I think I remember somewhere in the Fedora Lounge a knit-a-long for it...
    Are you on Ravelry? This is a very popular pattern there and there are tons of finished sweaters and discussions of this pattern.
    pictures of perfection, as you know, make me sick and wicked- Jane Austen

http://newvintage.wordpress.com/

Familiar Face

Mine!

Well I thought I would share one of mine. Itís my second attempt (well third if I include my odd sockÖ. donít ask! ).
    This took an age to knit too- I started knitting it last September, did two months then gave up for the making of Christmas presents and then took it up again on and off in the New Year to finish the fronts and back and part sleeve. I manage to finish all the pieces in the summer time- in reality it only took about 4/5 months out of the year- but like many of my projects they are started with gusto then I loose the will to live with it and start something new.
    Anyway itís from a 1940ís pattern and has the best shoulders ever! It should have pockets but I wanted to save the leftover for a matching beret- it should also have buttons with loopy bits but I havenít got round to that yet or rather my mum hasnít (I cant crochet). I donít think the fastening is urgent as I wear it often with just the belt.
    Hope you like it

Hats x

Btw Miss Sis your stocking stitch is sooo neat. Mine is getting worse- I blame it on my hate for purl rows and the fact Iím a lefty (Please donít say youíre one too- it will shatter me!). I also like the idea of wearing a tie with a collared jumper like that too; I often wear cravats, but never thought of ties- thanks! You did a great job on that- I certainly donít envy you on the making up with the inverted pleat and all.

Lauren your sweater is so cute. I bet that was dream to knit (I love cables) and itís in a colour I have been looking for in a 4ply for an age, no luck yet!
    'Cocktails and laughter but what comes after?'
    Noel Coward

Lunching at the Old South Restaurant, Fort Smith, AR Circa 1950
    I've posted these in other threads but they go better here.

Knit baby sweater made from a vintage 40's pattern:

Crochet doll outfit:

Here we are in the cozy chair, picking on a wishbone from the Frigidare....

http://artheliasattic.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Miss Hattie
    Well I thought I would share one of mine. It’s my second attempt (well third if I include my odd sock…. don’t ask! ).
    This took an age to knit too- I started knitting it last September, did two months then gave up for the making of Christmas presents and then took it up again on and off in the New Year to finish the fronts and back and part sleeve. I manage to finish all the pieces in the summer time- in reality it only took about 4/5 months out of the year- but like many of my projects they are started with gusto then I lose the will to live with it and start something new.

Hats x

Btw Miss Sis your stocking stitch is sooo neat. Mine is getting worse- I blame it on my hate for purl rows and the fact I’m a lefty (Please don’t say you’re one too- it will shatter me!).
    Boy do I know the feeling - the 'Oh my goodness, WHY did I start this! Will I EVER finish it?!?!' then starting something else instead. I have one jumper that is so nearly finished, I think I started it about five or six years ago? I can't even remember. I think I might *try* to finish it over Christmas. (probably a vain hope...)

And no, I'm not a Lefty, although lots of my family are. My mother is and she is a very neat knitter, sorry! I've just been lucky that I'm an even knitter. Never had any problems in that department, but if you do, tip: do a patterned stitch - it will disguise any uneven knitting.

Ladies, keep up the good work! It's not quick or easy but it's WORTH it. And I am really glad to see lots of young women can still knit, sew and crochet.
    There is no time, Madam, at which hats do not matter.

Quote Originally Posted by Elizabeth.F
    I'm currently knitting a sweater from 1914 (not golden era I know) and yesterday I finished a pair of golf stockings from 1915 (still not golden era!) But my next project will be the Three Hour Sweater from the 1930s:
    http://www.lrvictor.bravepages.com/Free/3-HOUR.htm
    I think I remember somewhere in the Fedora Lounge a knit-a-long for it...
    I've just printed this pattern off (thanks for posting the link), but I'm already encountering a problem!
    The wool needed is listed as "Germantown Zephyr", and escribed as "a 4-fold yarn (4 twisted strands) of high quality virgin wool"... ummmm, what yarn/wool should I use considering the knitting vocabulary is limited to: 2-ply, 3-ply, 4-ply, double-knit & chunky !!!

I love everyone's knitting, you've persuaded me to finish my garter-stitch bag

Quote Originally Posted by kamikat
    Are you on Ravelry? This is a very popular pattern there and there are tons of finished sweaters and discussions of this pattern.
    I'm doing the 3-hour, too! And so far it's taken me almost 3 hours to finish the back piece

I'm on ravelry, too-- maggiethespy is my user name.
    Check out and follow my blog- Wake Up Maggie: 365 (updated 01/31/10-- "Al-ways Loook on the Briiight Siiide of Life!"
    )

Quote Originally Posted by Aurora
    I've just printed this pattern off (thanks for posting the link), but I'm already encountering a problem!
    The wool needed is listed as "Germantown Zephyr", and escribed as "a 4-fold yarn (4 twisted strands) of high quality virgin wool"... ummmm, what yarn/wool should I use considering the knitting vocabulary is limited to: 2-ply, 3-ply, 4-ply, double-knit & chunky !!!

Ravelry is a good place to start, if your on there. I'm using Caron Simply Soft because I'm allergic to wool, and It's what I had on hand-- I get gauge with it. A few others have used it as well. Another popular one is Lion Brand Wool Ease and Cascade 220.
    Check out and follow my blog- Wake Up Maggie: 365 (updated 01/31/10-- "Al-ways Loook on the Briiight Siiide of Life!"
    )

Familiar Face
    Quote Originally Posted by Aurora

Wow I donít even own 10mm needles (old English size 000!) Gosh are they big or what- I only usually knit with no.14- 8ís. Seeing as it says 4 stitches to and inch (which will mean using the larger of the needles) For us British I would imagine that the yarn would be like a chunky dk or ArranÖ. Cant be sure though as Iíve lost my gauge.
    Noel Coward

I didn't even see the "4 sts = 1 inch" !! It's been a long day

I just don't buy wool by the make, I need to know ply - Which is why I'm always so irate ate knitting magazine patterns (they know who they are!) - I've got a bag of wool, I'll have a rummage tomorrow afternoon.

I'm going in for the 3 hour challenge... I'll be back with you in a few days!

Familiar Face
    [QUOTE=Miss Sis]

And no, I'm not a Lefty, although lots of my family are. My mother is and she is a very neat knitter, sorry! I've just been lucky that I'm an even knitter. Never had any problems in that department, but if you do, tip: do a patterned stitch - it will disguise any uneven knitting.

QUOTE]

Bother! My excuse will no longer work- some days itís perfect others itís rubbish. Like you said stick to patterns, which I do, not just because of my dodgy stocking stitch but because I get bored if I donít have something that gives my brain the old work out.

No doubt I will post more pictures in the up and coming weeks of my Ďto beí newly finished stockings and bathing costume.

p.s I've just done a count up of unfinished knitting projects......6 at the moment- oops

Hattie x
    Noel Coward