Page 13 of 58 FirstFirst ... 3111213141523 ... LastLast

Thread: Show us your vintage knitting and crochet!

Knitted Shoulder Pads

Recently I purchased a cool Rocket Original sweater (but in green and beige) from a fellow Lounger. I love wearing it, but I felt I really needed some shoulder pads.

I could have gone out and bought some, but this is my frugal year and making do and mending, so I knit some!

I knit a 5 inch more or less square in stockinette (but it could be garter stitch as well, or even crocheted). I used a worsted weight superwash merino with size 7 needles in this example. I left long tails so I could use that to whip stitch the sides together later.

I did put a thin square of cotton batting inside because I wanted them just slightly thicker, but they could work with just the knitted/crocheted square too. I basted the batting around the entire edge, as well as diagonally across the fold line to keep it from bunching up over time.

Fold your square on the diagonal, whip stitch the edges shut with the long yarn tails.

voila! shoulder pads made from what I had on hand. My frugal great-grandma would be so proud of me

Inky you did a greatjob, how did you think of the shoulderpads, great idea

Quote Originally Posted by kamikat
    Does anyone have Vintage Knitwear for Modern Knitters? It just arrived in the mail today. There are quite a few projects I want to knit.
    Oh Kamikat, i have the same book, is just great, there are so many nice patterns in it!! I really ought to start learning knitting!!

Quote Originally Posted by michou1930
    Came out a bit short and I will have to look for the perfect dress to go with it (suggestions would be more than welcome :-) )

So adorable! i love the sweater!!

Quote Originally Posted by imoldfashioned
    That's an adorable sweater michou, I just love it! I bet it would be cute in red too.
    Or in black and white!!

Thanks a lot:-)

It was a fun to knit and extremely easy going, too. Now I need the perfect dress underneath ...

Quote Originally Posted by Antje
    Inky you did a greatjob, how did you think of the shoulderpads, great idea

Thanks Antje! I just got to thinking about needing pads for that sweater and sweater led to knitting and it just worked out. I was thinking last night that even old felted sweaters or old wool skirts/pants would work just as well since the edges don't fray.

michou1930, that is so cute !!!

what kind of yarn for these 1940s patterns please...

Good LINKS everyone!! Just put some of these knit pattern books on my eBay watch. I recently discovered that my skin care saleslady at Nordys knits (she also tats too!) and would love to knit something vintage style for me. I've got two knitting books here as possibilities to show her.

What was the kind of yarn and what weight that was used back then?? Is there a modern and currently available equivalent?

I'm in No. California so we don't have the really cold winters but it can still get chilly. I'd like to have a Spring into early Summer season weight sweater made now, and later a Fall season weight sweater too.
    "Baby, you've arrived."

I'll Lock Up
    They say ignorance is bliss, but it really just means you failed to learn.