Thread: Peter O'Toole - a great quote from a great man

Peter O'Toole - a great quote from a great man

I was watching TCM this morning and between movies they played an excerpt of an interview with the prodigiously talented Peter O'Toole. I thought this comment, in regards to his work ethic, was wonderful:

“Many years ago I sent an old, beloved jacket to a cleaner, the Sycamore Cleaners. It was a leather jacket covered in Guinness and blood and marmalade, one of those jobs… and it came back with a little note pinned to it, and on the note it said, ‘It distresses us to return work which is not perfect.’ So that will do for me. That can go on my tombstone.“

Style is knowing who you are, what you want to say, and not giving a damn.
    - Gore Vidal

"I drink now. But not like before. ***, who could?"

Another good O'Toole line.

A sense of the fundamental decencies is parcelled out unequally at birth. - Fitzgerald

Then again, I was once told by a very good director, "Never apologize for your performance". If you've given everything you've got, then that's all there is to give. If it's imperfect in one sense, it's still perfect in another.
    A man's reach should exceed his grasp.
    "Hello. I'm Mr. Hardy, and this is my friend, Mr. Laurel."

Has anyone seen O'Toole in 'My favourite year'? He plays a declining, but still hell-raising, swashbuckling movie star (modelled on Errol Flynn), and has some side-splitting one-liners. Alas, i think they're a little too risque to repeat here.
    Someday we'll look back on this moment and plough into a parked car.

Byronic, thanks for the reminder. I've been meaning to add that title to my Netlflix que.
    Style is knowing who you are, what you want to say, and not giving a damn.
    - Gore Vidal

Quote Originally Posted by Slim Portly
    I was watching TCM this morning and between movies they played an excerpt of an interview with the prodigiously talented Peter O'Toole. I thought this comment, in regards to his work ethic, was wonderful:

“Many years ago I sent an old, beloved jacket to a cleaner, the Sycamore Cleaners. It was a leather jacket covered in Guinness and blood and marmalade, one of those jobs… and it came back with a little note pinned to it, and on the note it said, ‘It distresses us to return work which is not perfect.’ So that will do for me. That can go on my tombstone.“

ODDLY, I was just recommending MyFavoriteYear to ROVER jsut the other nite, and mentioning some of Otoole's notorious interviews.
    Heres a Letterman interview where he tells the SycamoreCleaners story when asked what he'd want on his tombstone:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pIXoneT1XFI

I like this one...

When did I realize I was God? Well, I was praying and I suddenly realized I was talking to myself.

Peter O'Toole
    RBH

__________________________________________________ _____________________________
    ''We're gonna stick together, just like it used to be!
    When you side with a man, you stay with him!
    And if you can't do that, you're like some animal, you're finished!''
    *Pike Bishop- 1913*

Quote Originally Posted by byronic
    Has anyone seen O'Toole in 'My favourite year'? He plays a declining, but still hell-raising, swashbuckling movie star (modelled on Errol Flynn), and has some side-splitting one-liners. Alas, i think they're a little too risque to repeat here.
    Great movie, very funny. It's a great look at live tv in the 50's.