Page 1 of 133 1231151101 ... LastLast

Thread: ALL REPRO R.A.F. Irvin type jackets

Thumbs up ALL REPRO R.A.F. Irvin type jackets

Anyone have size 42 and 44 ELC Irvin that they wouldnt mind measuring out? I need shoulder to shoulder, armpit to armpit, shoulder seam to end of cuff and collar seam to bottom. If youve already answered this on VLJ theres no need to answer again here, thanks!

I have a size 42 (1940 Pattern) which is currently in shipment from Norway to Australia which I can measure for you when I see it again.

Otherwise FWIW if you are looking at getting one, I wear a size 40 dress shirt and suit jacket and the ELC size 42 for me means I have room for a jumper underneath but at the same time I can wear it with just a shirt without being swamped in the thing.

My opinion is for anyone purchasing an ELC Irvin, get the next size up (2'') from your usual dress jacket size. Also be aware that if you are tall you will need extra length. Being 6' 1'' I had an extra inch and a half added to the body and arms which was perfect, but be aware this is more than ELC's usual extra 1 inch for long sizings.

HTH slightly.
    "Lead, they're shooting at us!"
    "That's OK, they're allowed to do that."

Thanks for the advice Smithy. I was wondering, early on in the massive Irvin thread you had a couple pictures of yourself wearing your Irvin right after you recieved it, however, theyve been deleted as you said you were a "tad tiddly" when you took them. . Would you be kind enough to repost them, or send me a photobucket link to my inbox? It seems we're pretty similar size wise, I take a 40 shirt/suit jacket and am 6'3, and I would love to get another look at how the 42 fits on you. Thanks!

No problem Hawk Eye. I'll post some pics this weekend. We're currently "in transit" at the moment so I'll have to hunt down the memory stick thingie so I can transfer the photos onto this computer to post them.

Hey Hawk Eye,
    Are you ordering directly from ELC or going through HistoryPreservation.com? I've read here and there that ELC refers inquiries from our side of the pond to History Preservation, but there's a hell of a markup--especially with exchange rates as they are now. Just curious what your course of action has been/will be as I may be in similar straits sometime soonish.
    Thanks!

ELC's arm length is size-for-size shorter that a corresponding WW2 jacket. Jackets from this period have unusually long arms for the height and chest size. The sleeve of a typical jacket that 'fits' (physically and according to the label) will often come down over the wearer's hands. People don't want that for everyday wear, so manufacturers make the sleeves shorter. For instance, if you're 6' 2" with a 40" chest a 'real' Size 5 from most makers will almost certainly fit you in the sleeve, but an ELC 40" certainly won't - you'll need a 'long plus' size.

Quote Originally Posted by boyorastroboy
    Hey Hawk Eye,
    Are you ordering directly from ELC or going through HistoryPreservation.com? I've read here and there that ELC refers inquiries from our side of the pond to History Preservation, but there's a hell of a markup--especially with exchange rates as they are now. Just curious what your course of action has been/will be as I may be in similar straits sometime soonish.
    Thanks!

Im definately going through Eastman themelves. If I went through HPA I would end up paying around 1600-1700 dollars, depending on how the exchange rate is that day. With Eastman I'll pay around 880-900 for a 42 pattern.

Hawk Eye,

HJohnson is right about you needing a long sizing but I suggest you go for a bit more.

I'm 6'1'' and take a 40'' dress jacket so we are fairly similar. Eastman's Long sizing adds one inch to the length of the body and arms but with my 1940 Pattern I had an inch and a half added to the body and arms and the sizing is perfect. I also went for a 42'' chest which was just right, large enough to wear a jumper underneath but not so big that I'm swamped in just a shirt.

I found the memory stick so I'll post the pictures today for you.

EDIT: Whoops, me being the dozy prat I am, I just realised that I'd posted all this sizing stuff above!

WPG vs ELC

This is a long shot, but has anyone had the opportunity to compare sizes between ELC and What Price Glory Irvins? Are they comparable? Is one bigger than the other?

The most original repro IRVIN

Which is the most original, true to history IRVIN jacket of all the repros?
    And why?

Eastman Leathercraft
    Aero in Scotland
    Aviation Leathercraft
    What Price Glory
    Other?

I know this has been discussed here and there on the pretty large Irvinthread, and if you've got time to spare, you might find something usefull.
    But in order to give interested buyers a good overview, I figured this would be a good way to do it.
    "There I stood at the bar, wearing a Mae West, no jacket, and beginning to leak blood from my torn boot. None of the golfers took any notice of me - after all, I wasn't a member!'