Page 89 of 133 FirstFirst ... 3979878889909199 ... LastLast

Thread: ALL REPRO R.A.F. Irvin type jackets

Irvin jackets were never originally made with pockets. Occasionally pockets were added in the theatre. The jacket was part of a suit and the pockets were only on the trousers. Moreover airmen had pockets in their service jackets which were usually worn underneath the Irvin jacket.
    Andrew

My Mail is Forwarded Here Sloan1874's Avatar
    That's as comprehensive an answer as I could hope for. But I amazed that the Irvin licence-holders let companies get away with the 'exact replica' claims when they are adding all sorts of stuff. I've noticed that Jeremy Clarkson wears an Irvin that seems to have some sort of fox or rabbit fur attached to his one: http://www.guardian.co.uk/media/2011...an-bbc-america

Clarkson is not wearing and Irvin. It does not appear to have the waist belt or sleeve zips, but does have the authentic slash pockets.
    Andrew

In my collecting days I had a few of these and looked at probably a couple of hundred over 30 years, never seen one with the added pockets, though I did have a Fleet Air Arm version that had the hood altered to make the collar. I would say a good used wartime one is probably warmer than a B3 as all mine had thicker fleece. Originals Irvin's tend to last better than American sheepskin though I think it is something to do with the outer coating. Not a jacket to get wet though, originals tend to smell like an old wet dog, or should that be sheep till dried out, also quite hard to apply leather preservatives to due to the finish on the jacket or trousers. Thought you may like to see this; the worlds worst original Irvin. Bought from Westcliff on Sea Army and Navy surplus in the early 1960s it remained in the purchasers possession for about 35 years from when he was 14 and a size 36 to when he was aged 50+. Thinking it would be worth a few bob he tried to sell it to me, I only bought it out of sympathy and managed to get it for 2 cans of lager that were on the back seat of my car. Eventually I posted it off to Aero Leather as a swap for some gloves they were selling at the time.

Thinking it would be worth a few bob he tried to sell it to me, I only bought it out of sympathy and managed to get it for 2 cans of lager that were on the back seat of my car. Eventually I posted it off to Aero Leather as a swap for some gloves they were selling at the time.

And here is a better one.
    450 to Norway, size about a modern British 44
    Can you date it Andrew? Sorry no back view but it was a main two piece. A couple of on base repairs to armpits but thats about it.
    John

My Mail is Forwarded Here Sloan1874's Avatar
    Fair point, I hadn't noticed that. :-D I suppose it just shows how the design has been bastardised commercially.

Quote Originally Posted by rocketeer View Post
    In my collecting days I had a few of these and looked at probably a couple of hundred over 30 years, never seen one with the added pockets, though I did have a Fleet Air Arm version that had the hood altered to make the collar. I would say a good used wartime one is probably warmer than a B3 as all mine had thicker fleece. Originals Irvin's tend to last better than American sheepskin though I think it is something to do with the outer coating. Not a jacket to get wet though, originals tend to smell like an old wet dog, or should that be sheep till dried out, also quite hard to apply leather preservatives to due to the finish on the jacket or trousers. Thought you may like to see this; the worlds worst original Irvin. Bought from Westcliff on Sea Army and Navy surplus in the early 1960s it remained in the purchasers possession for about 35 years from when he was 14 and a size 36 to when he was aged 50+. Thinking it would be worth a few bob he tried to sell it to me, I only bought it out of sympathy and managed to get it for 2 cans of lager that were on the back seat of my car. Eventually I posted it off to Aero Leather as a swap for some gloves they were selling at the time.

Thinking it would be worth a few bob he tried to sell it to me, I only bought it out of sympathy and managed to get it for 2 cans of lager that were on the back seat of my car. Eventually I posted it off to Aero Leather as a swap for some gloves they were selling at the time.

And here is a better one.
    450 to Norway, size about a modern British 44
    Can you date it Andrew? Sorry no back view but it was a main two piece. A couple of on base repairs to armpits but thats about it.
    John
    John, it looks like a mid War Irvin from 1941-2 just prior to the production of the multi-panel jackets made from recycled Irvin trousers. It has the typical shaggy fleece for the body which was typical of jackets from this time.
    Andrew

Quote Originally Posted by aswatland View Post
    John, it looks like a mid War Irvin from 1941-2 just prior to the production of the multi-panel jackets made from recycled Irvin trousers. It has the typical shaggy fleece for the body which was typical of jackets from this time.
    Thanks Andrew, This jacket was in pretty good condition, the fleece was not as shaggy as some of those later ones, the worst part of it was that wear on the left sleeve. A really warm jacket, I would wear it on a cold and frosty morning with just a T shirt.
    The other jacket Ken Calder used some of the leather facings and metalwork for repairs to others so it did serve a purpose.
    J

Quote Originally Posted by Spitfire View Post
    Due to censorship of some of my posts - and a very heated discussion on that in The Observation Bar, finishig off with some very harsh and personal remarks from one of the bartenders - I have decided to leave FL.

I will - however - come back one more time with pictures of my long awaited AcesHigh Irvin - when it lands on my doorstep. I feel I owe it to both all the readers here - and to Jon, who makes this fantastic repro Irvin.

See you all at VLJ.

Tally Ho!
    It's a pity that you're leaving, your posts were very informative and made me remember my father's WWII stories...however I am looking forward to see your AcesHigh Irvin...I'm also thinking about getting one and I was looking for a feedback with some pics.

New In Town
    This is a REPRO thread, rocketeer.

Quote Originally Posted by Atomic Bomberman View Post
    This is a REPRO thread, rocketeer.
    That's fine, I don't own any repro's, probably wont now anyway as I dont collect military jackets anymore. I sold all my original WWII B3s and Irvins, US Navy sheepskins mainly because they started to fall apart from being worn to much, then again they are 60+years old. Let someone else deal with that.
    Is there an Original Irvin thread on here

I did just wonder though, is there an Aviation Leathercraft company representative on the Fed Lounge going to stand up for their company. Like many say, a quality product but just cashing in on the name, and do the Battle of Britain Memorial Flight really wear Irvin's at the altitudes they fly at?
    It's a bit like having a club for the Issigonis designed Mini and including the BMW version.
    J