Page 12 of 14 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 LastLast

Thread: Black Suit

My Mail is Forwarded Here Two Types's Avatar
    Any chance of a translation?
    "I know I believe in nothing, but is my nothing."

Rank & File: A British Cinema Blog

One of my favourite looks is a black suit, stark white shirt with perhaps a stripe, tan waistcoat, and a nice deep red tie and complimentary pocket square. Black and red offset each other beautifully and make for a very dramatic look. I used to have a double breasted black wool suit that I absolutely loved. I grew out of it in my late 20's much to my shock and dismay.

Here's a shot of me and the missus on our 5th anniversary, me wearing a black tonal stripe suit with peak lapels. I no longer own the suit, which is a bit of a long story, but I don't think I look very funereal. I would have worn my homburg, but alas the wifey hasn't gotten used to that one yet ^.^
    Last edited by Gin&Tonics; 04-14-2012 at 09:46 PM.
    http://img338.imageshack.us/img338/9912/gtsig.jpg
    “Nowhere in the world will such a brotherly feeling of confidence be experienced as amongst those who sit together smoking their pipes.”

Quote Originally Posted by Two Types View Post
    Any chance of a translation?
    Yes, sorry. I was in a hurry.
    The black suit (jacket) is the most practical choice for small afternoon and evening events. The jacket is done with peaked lapels and only moderate waist surpression. Compared to black tie (tuxedo) the waistcoat is buttoned rather high and made like a normal (lined) waistcoat. (I can't find the exact translation of "Stehbrustweste") It is worn with trousers of a moderate width and without cuffs.

Thanks.

No problem. I think it is another indication in the line of "poor mans tuxedo" or sunday suit. It would also explain why there are so many left. They did save them for special occasions. They are also more versatile than black tie because you could wear them earlier and didn't have to change in the evening?
    Last month a german friend bought a suit like this on ebay and the seller told it was the wedding suit of her father in the 30s. It has cuffs though.

Quote Originally Posted by Flat Foot Floey View Post
    No problem. I think it is another indication in the line of "poor mans tuxedo" or sunday suit. It would also explain why there are so many left. They did save them for special occasions. They are also more versatile than black tie because you could wear them earlier and didn't have to change in the evening?
    Last month a german friend bought a suit like this on ebay and the seller told it was the wedding suit of her father in the 30s. It has cuffs though.
    I think the description 'Nachmitte und Abend' ('afternoon and evening' for those - like myself - who don't speak German) is a perfect description. From now on, I will be using that to describe any plain black, peaked lapel German suit of the mid 20th century.

this is a European 'evening and afternoon' jacket. most likely German circa '28-'31. it has the most nipped-in waist of any jacket i own. it looks more pronounced when on.
    the shoulders are virtually unpadded.

the finish is quite hammer and tongs (which i like):

lapel hole:

Last edited by herringbonekid; 04-16-2012 at 02:31 AM.

A beautiful jacket. I don't normally like two-button jackets, but one has to make an exception for that cut.

Banned
    I agree with Max Flash.

Quote Originally Posted by summermusics View Post
    I agree with Max Flash.
    From the first page?
    Quote Originally Posted by Max Flash View Post
    Don't ever buy black unless it is a dinner jacket or a morning coat. Get a dark charcoal instead - it will always be appropriate for all suit-wearing occasions and can be dressed to be more lively (for weddings, etc.), more business-like (for interviews, etc.) or more sombre (for funerals), depending in each case on the shirt and tie you combine it with.

If this is your only suit (for the time-being), I would get a simple cloth with no pattern or stripe. As you increase the number of suits in your wardrobe, you can always branch out.
    Yes, for modern suits and everyday wear he has a point. But finding the many black 30s suits in germany often makes you wonder if they can be worn. And I think the can.
    Gene, did your cinetex suit arrive? I rember you ordered a black peak lapel suit from them a while ago..